Massive IT Failure Affects All Audi 2020 A4 vehicles

Hi all,
I'm pleased to report that MMI version 3281 was installed to my car today which immediately resolved the myAudi login problems! The Calculate Route and "Send" options have appeared in the MyAudi app right away, and the car is receiving them.

It took about 5 hours to install; had to try a few times apparently, and it weights in at 30+GB.

Relieved to have this sorted :)

Last edited:
Yea I got mine done on Friday at Audi Derby and can confirm it fixes the issues.
Did take around 4-5 hours

So, firstly apologies for the delayed update.

The car returned from my local Audi centre with update 3281 fully installed last Wednesday morning. In the Users tab of the master MMI screen I can now see ‘me’ as the Key User, and it looks as though the time and date shown next to my entry updates periodically as well.

My problem is that I don’t have any benchmarks for the system as the MMI on my last A4 was prehistoric by comparison. More reading and fiddling about for me, I think.

On the upside, on entering the vehicle and starting her up, I am now greeted after a few seconds with the dulcet sounds of Planet Rock DAB radio and the initialising screen makes way for the radio station display.

That’s as far as I’ve got with it as the car has largely been static on the driveway since then, and that includes not experimenting with the MyAudi app-based remote lock/unlock or throwing a route plan to the car from the phone yet. I can see the vehicle’s status, specification and all key metrics in the app, so optimistic the update has evicted the gremlins.

Next major event in our emerging relationship is a decontamination wash, stage 1 machine polish and ceramic coating, with ‘wheels off’ treatment and full interior enhancements next week. The Daytona should really ‘pop’ afterwards.

My apologies for the delayed answer :) Travelling for a longer period, so its been a while since I checked in.

Sounds like your car is getting quite the treatment!! Awesome! Hopefully all went well and hopefully the Audi server issues have been sorted so car and app is working again?

My app still seems to have connection to the car from abroad so guess the servers are ok again.

My apologies for the delayed answer :) Travelling for a longer period, so its been a while since I checked in.

Sounds like your car is getting quite the treatment!! Awesome! Hopefully all went well and hopefully the Audi server issues have been sorted so car and app is working again?

My app still seems to have connection to the car from abroad so guess the servers are ok again.
Hi, Most...
Software update to 3281 went well, although still not convinced that it is working 100% as it should.

As of today, Sunday, I have a support request in with Audi Digital Services (‘ADS’) covering a number of points:

1. On starting the car, the MMI displays the ‘Welcome’ screen (the last selected radio station plays in the background).

2. Clicking the ‘Home’ icon from here reveals a ‘Note’ screen about ‘dynamic data collection....’ with options to ‘OK’ or ‘Go to privacy’. A third option of ‘Do not show this again’ is greyed out. Click close to remove.

3. In the ‘Settings’ menu, the ‘Privacy’ tab is greyed out if my mobile phone is using the MMI to make a call. It is clickable when not making a call. I was actually on the phone to ADS at the time and the agent asked me to go to Privacy. I couldn’t but neither of us knew why. It was only when the call ended did the Privacy option become clickable. Similarly, it fails if I select ‘Go to privacy’ from the ‘Note’ screen in (2) above....but of course, I was using my mobile at the time, talking to ADS. So, Privacy is accessible but only if not using the mobile via MMI. I called him back from home to update him of this revelation. He asked me to put it in the email. See below.

4. In the ‘Users’ screen, there are 3 options (a) add user (b) guest user (c) my first name. I previously saw time and date of ‘update’ against my name and ‘Key User’ with a ‘>’ symbol next to it. Now, to confirm I am the Key User, I select the ‘gear icon’ under the time clock in the ‘Users’ tab. This displays ‘the key user for this vehicle is First Name Surname (me) with option to ‘remove key user and all additional users.’

5. MyAudi app. This one has been reported by other owners before and a Google search indicates it has also been reported widely on alternative forums...the myAudi app frequently displays an inaccurate graphic for engine oil level. The MMI currently shows this as ‘ideal’ with the gauge marked as full. The app was displaying this as nearly empty with just the bottom bar in black. The two are now synced. The vehicle has covered just over 900 miles from new since the end of June, so logically it should be full.

Other myAudi app information such as range, fuel level, lock status, remote lock/unlock history, Audi partner etc etc all in order. I have not tried to throw a journey plan to the car from the app yet - I haven’t needed to.

The ADS agent asked me to reply to his case reference email with app version details, mobile phone make/model/OS version, my UK location, MMI software version etc, along with photos as he needs to escalate to Technical for resolution.

I also don’t seem to be able to find access to some of the Audi Connect features bundled with the package on the car, incl. weather (I have AFP News), traffic info online, street parking and online messages...all of which ADS confirmed last Friday I do have.

Summary: baffled and slightly irritated.

Turned Perry Mason this evening...

It would appear, after logging in to my profile on my.audi.com, that the root cause of the lack of availability of certain Audi Connect functions, such as On Street Parking, hazard information, car finder, Google Points of Interest etc are down to them being “deactivated in the vehicle.”

It would also appear that in order to reverse these exclusions I need to go back to my old friend, ‘Privacy’, and presumably adjust the settings to ‘send data: on’, based on them currently reading ‘send data: off.’

Nothing in the vehicle user manual about this, of course, but it would also support why the Audi Digital Services agent wanted to interrogate the Privacy settings in the vehicle yesterday.

And, of course, privacy settings can only be changed on the vehicle’s MMI itself. Also obvious. Not.

Various screen shots taken for follow up with ADS tomorrow.

Hi everyone, just joined today and hoping someone can help me. Just picked up an S4 today after trading in a 2 year old A4. On the old car all the My Audi tech worked great but after having set up the new car today, when I try to send an address to the car from my phoneI keep getting pedestrian routes only rather than send to car. Has anyone else had this problem? I have to say, the car is great but the MMI feels like a step backwards.

Well, here I am, yet again. The update went well.

But since the last month the LTE connection changed to 2g. After that the app no longer worked. And further more; the car no longer received traffic information and other online services.

The dealer replaced the emergency call module, apparently that’s where the problem was. But after that the system was unable to connect.

They also replaced the emergency power module, twice. And still nothing.
They are in contact with Audi Germany but still no solution. The car is now two weeks at the dealer without a solution..

Does anybody else have this problem?

I thought it might be related to the Ethernet cable error before. Which they reset without bothering to change the cable, they will look into this further today.

I have to say I’m pretty cross.. Does anybody else know this issue?
Could also be the gateway module.. but they refuse to replace without the okay from Germany..

Thanks for your wisdom!

Basically none of my online functions work, weather, news, real time traffic and on top of that I have issues where it disconnects my Bluetooth with no warning or reason other than displaying Bluetooth not available at this time. It’s very hit & miss and probably the biggest downside against BMW or even VW technology.

Turned Perry Mason this evening...

It would appear, after logging in to my profile on my.audi.com, that the root cause of the lack of availability of certain Audi Connect functions, such as On Street Parking, hazard information, car finder, Google Points of Interest etc are down to them being “deactivated in the vehicle.”

It would also appear that in order to reverse these exclusions I need to go back to my old friend, ‘Privacy’, and presumably adjust the settings to ‘send data: on’, based on them currently reading ‘send data: off.’

Nothing in the vehicle user manual about this, of course, but it would also support why the Audi Digital Services agent wanted to interrogate the Privacy settings in the vehicle yesterday.

And, of course, privacy settings can only be changed on the vehicle’s MMI itself. Also obvious. Not.

Various screen shots taken for follow up with ADS tomorrow.

Sorry it’s been a while since I have checked in

Haha, I can see what you mean. The MMI software is by no means perfect or bug free. There’s lots of issues like you mention. Many of them I experience myself. Have more or less given up on them though. Not satisfying, but at least the MMI is in a state now where it’s not totally broken anymore as it was earlier with the login issues

How is the state of your guys map updates?

I have no updates available when I login to My Audi with the PC, but almost every time I go for a drive the car attemps to update the map but after download it cancels the update.

Anyone experience something similar?
c0a3202db105efa82995203ed3ac1422.jpg

I collected my new A4 Vorsprung on Wednesday, which replaced my MY17 TFSI Quattro. If any of you are still experiencing issues, the latest MMI version is 3285 (see picture).

Attachments

• 1.jpeg
    1.jpeg
    681.3 KB · Views: 500
Reactions: Mkay315
MMI lost connectivity, icon is showing as 3G (before it was LTE). No traffic, satellite map, weather etc.

What should i do? Book it for an update i suppose?

MMI lost connectivity, icon is showing as 3G (before it was LTE). No traffic, satellite map, weather etc.

What should i do? Book it for an update i suppose?

What MMI version does your car have?

It
What MMI version does your car have?
Today it resolved without issues... still I am not sure if I need to update... version as below... got the car early March 2020

Attachments

• 883373B9-ADFC-4F03-81C3-03393D6687D1.jpeg
    883373B9-ADFC-4F03-81C3-03393D6687D1.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 447
It

Today it resolved without issues... still I am not sure if I need to update... version as below... got the car early March 2020

Hmm as long as the issue was solved then I guess you are all good. So guess updating depends on whether you have other issues with the MMI.

When I was running 3248 I had all sorts of issues. The by far most annoying was that several times a week it would not allow me to login to the MMI...making it quite useless It was solved when I had it updated to 3281.

Doesn’t sound like you have that kind of issues though. So you could argue that you should just leave it at 3248 for now instead of updating and risking creating new problems. You know kind of like the old saying “if it ain’t broken, don’t fix it”. Updating to 3281 wont give you any new features AFAIK.

However, if you have any issues that annoy you then I would update. Just be aware that Audi in some way still is in the stoneage here. Your dealer will have to do the update and most times they need the car a whole day because the update proces is cumbersome. My dealer did it in 2,5 hours while I was waiting but that’s some sort of world record and it was only possible because they had prepared the procedure before I arrived and began the moment I gave them the keys.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Giorgosa
Hmm as long as the issue was solved then I guess you are all good. So guess updating depends on whether you have other issues with the MMI.

When I was running 3248 I had all sorts of issues. The by far most annoying was that several times a week it would not allow me to login to the MMI...making it quite useless It was solved when I had it updated to 3281.

Doesn’t sound like you have that kind of issues though. So you could argue that you should just leave it at 3248 for now instead of updating and risking creating new problems. You know kind of like the old saying “if it ain’t broken, don’t fix it”. Updating to 3281 wont give you any new features AFAIK.

However, if you have any issues that annoy you then I would update. Just be aware that Audi in some way still is in the stoneage here. Your dealer will have to do the update and most times they need the car a whole day because the update proces is cumbersome. My dealer did it in 2,5 hours while I was waiting but that’s some sort of world record and it was only possible because they had prepared the procedure before I arrived and began the moment I gave them the keys.
Thanks for the reply.

I had a lot of issues with MMI asking me to login once a week - at a point during summer these have disappeared. The only real issue is that navigation switches from satellite to map view every 2-3 days (minor issue I know), other than this I am generally happy. And the connectivity issue described above, but much more rare. I think I'll leave it as it is.

Reactions: Soot1e and Deleted member 145411
Thanks for the reply.

I had a lot of issues with MMI asking me to login once a week - at a point during summer these have disappeared. The only real issue is that navigation switches from satellite to map view every 2-3 days (minor issue I know), other than this I am generally happy. And the connectivity issue described above, but much more rare. I think I'll leave it as it is.

That sounds very reasonable

Apparently there’s a new MMI version 3385 now. Just had a brand new A4 Avant as rental while our own was at the dealer. Don’t have any idea what’s changed though.
7052314addabf2869fe29b99b80f5743.jpg

Has anyone had problems again more recently ? Mine had been fine since having 3281 updated in June . It stopped working on the 19th December (or that's when it last updated ) .
I have today done a factory reset , and it will not even allow me to set a key user ? ! ?

Hmmm MMI is working fine here with version 3281. However, for the last month or so is has been constantly running an online map update. Every time I start the car then after a minute or two it begins “installing” the update, but it never ends. Just keeps going and going.

Have tried downloadning the newest maps from the internet but it wont search on the USB for the update as another update is ongoing.

Anyone have similar issues or know how to stop an ongoing online map update? Deselecting online map updates does not stop it.

Anyone have similar issues or know how to stop an ongoing online map update? Deselecting online map updates does not stop it.

How’s other online services working. ? Mine wasn’t updating my vehicle stats. Couldn’t grab weather or news. Etc. I turned satellite overlay maps off and it wouldn’t turn on again.
Seemed to be to do with the cellular connection or link between MMi and telecommunication module. Had to pretty much hard reset everything. Factory reset to get it working again.

But back to your question. do you have access to the online update maps toggle to try turning it off ?

Apologies.. missed your last sentence. Doh.

Haha no worries Can’t find a way to shut it off no. Have tried writing Audi Digital Services in Denmark tonight. They have helped with MMI issues earlier.

Also asked them about the 3385 MMI version and if there is a fix list. Probably not though. My guess is I will have to go to the dealer. They can then do the update and hopefully the map update will stop too.

Apart from this issue the MMI seems to work fine. Haven’t had the problems you describe.

When you did the factory reset I guess it removed all your personal settings etc? But you could get it going again without going to the dealer right?

Yeah I set it up again. It was pretty much all reset anywhere. I’d removed from the Audi app. Etc. Removed myself as a key user. Gone through loads of steps with Audi connect.

You tried pressing and holding the mmi power/volume down and holding it until the mmi reboots ? That doesn’t wipe setting, but reboots the mmi.

I did something else as well but don’t recall the exact steps. It was touching the screen 3 times on the top right and restarting via a hidden menu.

I’m very intrigued about the new update. Mine had been fine for a long while since getting the earlier update , but just stopped working in December.

I even wondered if it was due to little use and short journeys due to me not using as much with all the lockdown restrictions.

Edit , it did do a map update since this as well. About a week or two ago on the weekly outing to the shops. Lol.

Will try the rebooting of the MMI. Didn’t know about that, thanks :)

I have also mainly done small trips due to Covid lockdown. Would be “funny” if the MMI refused to work if only the car was used to drive small trips, lol.

Would be “funny” if the MMI refused to work if only the car was used to drive small trips, lol.

It would. was just a thought that crossed my mind , due to the symptoms I started having..
The very first issue before the software update seemed to be caused by the system powering down the telecommunication module , after around 15 mins of shutting off the car (I saw the status, could remote lock and unlock for about 15mins send destinations, then it stopped after around 15 mins of car been turned off , would also log me out of Audi connect)
After the software update (3281) this started working again and would continue after 15mins of ignition off , presume they fixed something relating to it shutting down ..

It's all guess work on my part though !! I also guess the telecommunications thing / LTE has a backup battery .. so the vehicle status / location can be seen after the ignition is off, and possibly after the main battery is disconnected.. (guessing the SOS function should not rely on the main battery ? )

It would. was just a thought that crossed my mind , due to the symptoms I started having..
The very first issue before the software update seemed to be caused by the system powering down the telecommunication module , after around 15 mins of shutting off the car (I saw the status, could remote lock and unlock for about 15mins send destinations, then it stopped after around 15 mins of car been turned off , would also log me out of Audi connect)
After the software update (3281) this started working again and would continue after 15mins of ignition off , presume they fixed something relating to it shutting down ..

It's all guess work on my part though !! I also guess the telecommunications thing / LTE has a backup battery .. so the vehicle status / location can be seen after the ignition is off, and possibly after the main battery is disconnected.. (guessing the SOS function should not rely on the main battery ? )

Yeah it would be so nice if Audi would make change logs available. Just so we had an idea about what the issues where and how they fixed them.

But so weird yours just stopped working. Should not be possible since we are on the same version.

Also really considering if I should have the update to 3385 done. You know “if it aint broken, don’t fix it” kind of thing

@Most Mine did another map update yesterday , all seemed to go well ..

Hehe and mine juuust keeps going Got an e-mail from Audi Digital Services today asking for more details so hopefully I get some feedback soon.

Guys,

Does anyone know when all the software versions came out?

Is the date on the pics the release dates?

My March 2020 S4 has 3174 and I have had nothing but issues, and see some others with a 2020 March with a later version...

Audi themselves are no help whatsoever and seems more like a hassle to them to try and help.

Guys,

Does anyone know when all the software versions came out?

Is the date on the pics the release dates?

My March 2020 S4 has 3174 and I have had nothing but issues, and see some others with a 2020 March with a later version...

Audi themselves are no help whatsoever and seems more like a hassle to them to try and help.

Really not sure about the dates in the version numbers. Maybe they are random No, of course they must mean something, just not sure what.

You should really get an update. Almost everyone has had sooo many issues until they got to MMI version 3281. Seems like newest version now is 3385.

Only drawback is that the dealer will probably need the car for a whole day. If they are really fast they can do it in maybe 3 hours.

Thanks for the reply.

Car is booked in on Monday so will wait and see what they say (or excuses they make)

I've told them I want an update and there should be several available.

Will let you know :)

UPDATE:

So car was running software version 3174, and Audi have told me the latest version my car can take is 3281.

Has anyone else been told they cannot update to the latest version 3385? I find it strange that they cannot do this...

UPDATE:

So car was running software version 3174, and Audi have told me the latest version my car can take is 3281.

Has anyone else been told they cannot update to the latest version 3385? I find it strange that they cannot do this...

Hmm 3281 is a good version, so definitely worth the upgrade. I have a request in now about updating to 3385. Will let you know what they tell me.