Massive IT Failure Affects All Audi 2020 A4 vehicles

You've had a similar experience to myself then by the sounds of it.

I think the way you have to play it is contact your local dealers service bookings team, mention the issues your having with the MMI and get it booked in. Tell the person you're booking in with you know there is a TPI for this issue and get them to write it down on the booking comments.

Mines going in tomorrow, so I can't confirm if software version 3281 will be installed, but keeping my fingers crossed! I'll let you know how I get on tomorrow evening
Perfect. Good luck.

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

So I got the new firmware today for my A4. It is now "3281" and so far so good. I will test it and report any problems. I saw the technical papers for the update and this update seems to be THE fix for audi connect / user logout problems. :icon thumright:

So I got the new firmware today for my A4. It is now "3281" and so far so good. I will test it and report any problems. I saw the technical papers for the update and this update seems to be THE fix for audi connect / user logout problems. :icon thumright:

Glad you also had luck ! , Iv'e had no issues after almost 2 weeks , so I'm happy .
I have noted Twitter seems to have disappeared from my news feed, but cant be sure this is the new update , and its no big deal to me to be fair.
Much prefer having all the remote features working and not having to keep logging in .

I have 3248 and contacted Audi Digital Services in Denmark regarding an MMI update/fix for the login issues.

Today they confirmed theres an MMI update for me and that Audi have informed them it should fix the login issues. Hopefully I can get a time at the dealer soon

3281 was installed yesterday and everything is still working as it should today!
Definitely worth being without the car for a day to make it work properly :icon thumright:

3281 was installed yesterday and everything is still working as it should today!
Definitely worth being without the car for a day to make it work properly :icon thumright:

What's the app like in general now - is everything working as expected? (e.g. destination upload, status update, remote locking/unlocking etc). Any random log-outs?

I've had my MY2020 about three weeks now and to be fair it's only logged my out 2 or 3 times in that time. It looks as though they may have changed something at the server end too.

All seems to be working great! The cars been sat on the drive since yesterday morning, and I've just gone to unlock / lock from the app after reading your post and it worked fine.

Vehicle status information also updates and refreshes now which it wouldn't do for me prior to having 3281 installed.

Sending destinations from the app seems to work fine also, and I've haven't experienced any logging out issues yet.

Touch wood, it seems to have fixed all the issues I was experiencing :grinning:

Reactions: CrashEd
All seems to be working great!

Touch wood, it seems to have fixed all the issues I was experiencing :grinning:

Great news - thanks for the update mate and glad it's working well. Time to get mine booked in I reckon. Did you have to quote anything when you booked it in?

Great news - thanks for the update mate and glad it's working well. Time to get mine booked in I reckon. Did you have to quote anything when you booked it in?
I agree. The install web services bootloop is driving me mad, although i have found that being patient seems to have solved the constant need to keep logging in. I'll book mine in too for when i have my week off in August

Yeh, I would tell them that you know there is a TPI number related to this issue, and quote them the TPI number: 2059215

When I rang my local dealer to get booked in, first of all they just put my reg into the system their end and told me there was no update available. But when I gave them the TPI number they were happy to get it booked in and quoted that also on the job card.

According to my local dealer, the install took around 8 hours to complete, so I would definitely suggest getting it to them as early as you can in the morning to ensure they don't have to to keep the car for a further day

Last edited:
Reactions: CrashEd and Painman1963
I agree. The install web services bootloop is driving me mad, although i have found that being patient seems to have solved the constant need to keep logging in. I'll book mine in too for when i have my week off in August

Yeah, it does help being patient.

Yeh, I would tell them that you know there is a TPI number related to this issue, and quote them the TPI number: 2059215

When I rang my local dealer to get booked in, first of all they just put my reg into the system their end and told me there was no update available. But when I gave them the TPI number they were happy to get it booked in and quoted that also on the job card.

According to my local dealer, the install took around 8 hours to complete, so I would definitely suggest getting it to them as early as you can in the morning to ensure they don't have to to keep the car for a further day

Ok great, thanks for the info. I'll do the same :thumbs up:

Had my update today at the dealer from 3248 to 3281. They where pretty efficient, it took around 2,5 hours.

So far everything works, fingers crossed. Will see the next couple of days.

Reactions: Selwoc
I have a 2020 A4 Avant 40 TDI that I took delivery of at the beginning of March, with the same log out and inability to lock/unlock the doors from the app, but I can send destinations to the car. The software is also 3248.

I've just contacted Audi and given the TPI Number 2059215, I have an appointment on Monday, fingers crossed that the car comes home with software version 3281.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ryanfsr and Deleted member 145411
Hi everyone,
I've recently taken delivery of a new A4 and have been experiencing the same problems described here.
Thanks for sharing the information you have so far; good to know I'm not mad, as Audi Support seem unaware of these issues!?

Keen to hear how you get on with the software update. Subscribing to this thread for updates.

Reactions: Deleted member 145411
Hi everyone,
I've recently taken delivery of a new A4 and have been experiencing the same problems described here.
Thanks for sharing the information you have so far; good to know I'm not mad, as Audi Support seem unaware of these issues!?

Keen to hear how you get on with the software update. Subscribing to this thread for updates.

Hey there
I have been on MMI version 3281 for a week now and so far all problems solved Communication with the app works, I can update car status, lock/unlock, send destinations to the car etc. Plus since the last update I have not been logged out. So, it really seems like it works as intended now.

Reactions: CrashEd, Selwoc, Ryanfsr and 1 other person
Hey there
I have been on MMI version 3281 for a week now and so far all problems solved Communication with the app works, I can update car status, lock/unlock, send destinations to the car etc. Plus since the last update I have not been logged out. So, it really seems like it works as intended now.

Excellent news - thanks for the update. Mine's booked in next week, so hopefully that will sort it.

Hello, everyone.

Newbie here with maiden contribution, although have been lurking in the margins of the site for a good few months. Have been a Four Rings man since 2004.

Took delivery of my 2020MY RS4 Vorsprung at the beginning of July (a cracking ‘lockdown’ deal from an Audi centre many, many miles from my home location) and have, frankly, been scratching my head with the bizarre antics of the MMI and MyAudi app ever since.

Reading the more recent posts on this thread it would appear that my vehicle shares many of the gremlins reported by fellow B9.5 A4 owners.

Setting the system up initially was not the intuitive experience I had anticipated and eventually via Audi UK’s Twitter desk I was put in touch with the Digital Services desk in Greece. All appeared to be OK over the past couple of weeks but over the past day or so things have degraded.

Each time I enter the vehicle and engage the starter button I am welcomed and invited to (quote:) “Make this Audi your own.” This screen further tells me that First Name Surname (me) has remote access rights before being invited to “select user” or “continue as guest.” If I “select user” I can subsequently choose (a) add user (b) guest user (c) choose my first name. If I select (c)....bear in mind, I’m still on the drive at this point...I am now asked if I would “like to apply the selected user’s vehicle configuration” with “cancel” or “apply” options.

Hang on a minute...I’m the KEY USER. There are no other users of the vehicle and no other profiles.

Click away from this and I’m presented with a stream of text on the next screen about “online services” and “dynamic data collection”, blah, blah...

Close this down and hit the Home button. Exit drive.

Rang Digital Services back this afternoon. Advised this could not be fixed over the phone and to book the car in to my local Audi centre. Was told this is a “known fault”, afflicting all 2020MY A4 variants with the refreshed MMI system. The agent told me (quote:) “the vehicle is kicking you out of key user status every time you start the vehicle.”

Interestingly, when I asked him to send me an email that I could wave...socially distanced...in front of my local Audi centre’s service desk/technicians to explain the problem in more detail, he readily agreed and in doing so, provided me with the TPI code referenced in recent posts here...2059215.

Am now hoping this provides the bridge to update the firmware to “3281” and the end of the various problems I and others have experienced. I will insist, if I have to, that the centre staff read this thread to support my query.

Thanks to all posters on this thread for sharing your experiences and updates that will hopefully enable guys like me to have a much shorter period of MMI inconvenience than those of you who have endured frustration for a lot longer.

Will update my experience - the car is booked in Tuesday 28th July at 1300 hrs.

Hi there and welcome!

Yes, this is a really good thread. Have eased my pain a lot knowing I have not been alone with the MMI troubles.

An RS4 you say Hmm I gonna make you an offer. I will offer you to switch cars. So, you can have my A4 Avant 40 TFSI and I will free you from that defective RS4. You will notice a small and insignificant (cough...) bump down in horsies under the bonnet, but you will have a working MMI system! And as a bonus - you will get a car where the steering wheel is in the right (= left) side (You wrote “miles” so guessing you are UK based).

Very good offer in my opinion

....on a more serious note, really hope the MMI upgrade you have booked fix the issues. It really should unless there is some weird difference to the MMI systems in our cars. It’s just so frustrating and honestly incredible how this slipped through quality control at Audi. Fingers crossed for you and keep us posted.

Hi there and welcome!

Yes, this is a really good thread. Have eased my pain a lot knowing I have not been alone with the MMI troubles.

An RS4 you say Hmm I gonna make you an offer. I will offer you to switch cars. So, you can have my A4 Avant 40 TFSI and I will free you from that defective RS4. You will notice a small and insignificant (cough...) bump down in horsies under the bonnet, but you will have a working MMI system! And as a bonus - you will get a car where the steering wheel is in the right (= left) side (You wrote “miles” so guessing you are UK based).

Very good offer in my opinion

....on a more serious note, really hope the MMI upgrade you have booked fix the issues. It really should unless there is some weird difference to the MMI systems in our cars. It’s just so frustrating and honestly incredible how this slipped through quality control at Audi. Fingers crossed for you and keep us posted.
Hello, Most...

Thanks for your message. I am in UK and can see you are in Denmark. So perhaps I should say ‘hej!’

Your international goalkeeper plays for my Premier League side, so we maybe have more in common than just the Four Rings.

The RS4 is a thing of utter beauty so I intend hanging on to her for a good while yet

However, prior to the pandemic I was close to pulling the trigger on a factory order A4 Avant 2.0 TFSI Quattro Vorsprung but the shutdown, Brexit surcharges, extended lead time etc all caused me to re-evaluate and the opportunity to acquire the RS4 from a dealer’s stock after playing a tough poker game was too good to turn down.

Anyhow, my update following leaving my car for nearly 5 hours with my local dealer today is that the current software generation on the vehicle is 3248 and will be updated to 3281. As of this evening, I have returned home with the vehicle still running 3248 as the 3281 download to the USB was only about 50% complete at close of business. I am returning tomorrow morning at 8am when hopefully the download will have finished and it can be loaded to the car. I’ve been told the installation could take a couple of hours.

Fingers crossed for success. Will post the outcome tomorrow.

For now...skål

Its been about 5 months since I outlined my issues with the MMI and software on my S4. The software on my 2020MY is 3174 and the MMI is release-31.7-1913-SNAPSHOT-26.03.2019-15:48:41

Audi digital services contacted me a couple of days ago to arrange an update to my system which will be done tomorrow.

I decided to quickly check details of my system and on plugging in the USB with the latest Maps (2020.5) the system indicated there was an update available and proceeded to install the map update.

This took about 80 minutes and the car now has Navigation version V03959807CJ_P0370_EU_2020.05 !?

I don't fully understand why it has now done this update. It may be that AUDI have updated the user database and other background data in readiness for the proposed update to their systems around the 10th August.

I have 2 users on the system and it took several minutes to change users - again a first for me.

So we might be getting there.

This took about 80 minutes and the car now has Navigation version V03959807CJ_P0370_EU_2020.05 !?
I’ve never updated the map manually , alway just had OTA , and I think mine shows P0380 , so you’ll likely get some updates following the MMI update.
Good luck

My system has never had OTA updates of any kind. I got most of the map updates OTA on my old A6.
I'll update you on what has been done to my S4 tomorrow.

Hello, Most...
For now...skål

Haha I have a pretty good idea about where you are located then Great to see that Kasper has introduced some of the most important Danish words!! Quite impressed that you used the “å”!!

Can really understand you about the RS4. It really is a beauty! Would have loved to go with that myself, but we have crazy car taxes in Denmark. First you pay the normal price for the car and then you pay 180% of the price on top of that in taxes. It really makes cars like the RS4 and the RS6 so difficult to buy.

Fingers crossed about the update. It can take some time yes. My dealer was super efficient when I had the update and still it took 2,5 hours. Keep me posted!

Cheers!

Its getting better:

Yesterday my dealer updated my software to 3281 and the MMI to release 32.9-1944 (see details below).

While I drove home the system updated my maps to P0383.

I have also sent a new location to the car using "received dest. and tours"

Regards
Brian

Software: MHI3_ER_AUG45S_K3281
MMI: release-32.9-1944-SNAPSHOT-22.04.2020-10:04:14
Maps: V03959808EN_P0383_EU_Q220

Reactions: Deleted member 145411 and thorpemark1
Haha I have a pretty good idea about where you are located then Great to see that Kasper has introduced some of the most important Danish words!! Quite impressed that you used the “å”!!

Can really understand you about the RS4. It really is a beauty! Would have loved to go with that myself, but we have crazy car taxes in Denmark. First you pay the normal price for the car and then you pay 180% of the price on top of that in taxes. It really makes cars like the RS4 and the RS6 so difficult to buy.

Fingers crossed about the update. It can take some time yes. My dealer was super efficient when I had the update and still it took 2,5 hours. Keep me posted!

Cheers!
So, firstly apologies for the delayed update.

The car returned from my local Audi centre with update 3281 fully installed last Wednesday morning. In the Users tab of the master MMI screen I can now see ‘me’ as the Key User, and it looks as though the time and date shown next to my entry updates periodically as well.

My problem is that I don’t have any benchmarks for the system as the MMI on my last A4 was prehistoric by comparison. More reading and fiddling about for me, I think.

On the upside, on entering the vehicle and starting her up, I am now greeted after a few seconds with the dulcet sounds of Planet Rock DAB radio and the initialising screen makes way for the radio station display.

That’s as far as I’ve got with it as the car has largely been static on the driveway since then, and that includes not experimenting with the MyAudi app-based remote lock/unlock or throwing a route plan to the car from the phone yet. I can see the vehicle’s status, specification and all key metrics in the app, so optimistic the update has evicted the gremlins.

Next major event in our emerging relationship is a decontamination wash, stage 1 machine polish and ceramic coating, with ‘wheels off’ treatment and full interior enhancements next week. The Daytona should really ‘pop’ afterwards.

Just rang Audi Service to book for the software upgrade. Lady on the phone had no idea what I was on about but when she checked she said there was a recall out on my car which is related to the starter alternator. She took details of what I was saying on the upgrade to 3281 and the TPI number of 2059215

apparently the recall isn’t urgent as the first booking was the day before I was due to go on holiday and didn’t want to risk the repair taking longer than a day so it’s booked in for after my hols

Couldn’t even log into myAudi today in the car but I’m sick of it so haven’t logged in for weeks. Interestingly enough it seems like the myAudi database is undergoing some hefty updates as I have seen a screen showing all the outage times. Make sure your personal details are up to date as apparently all profiles which aren’t will be automatically deleted

Just rang Audi Service to book for the software upgrade. Lady on the phone had no idea what I was on about but when she checked she said there was a recall out on my car which is related to the starter alternator. She took details of what I was saying on the upgrade to 3281 and the TPI number of 2059215

apparently the recall isn’t urgent as the first booking was the day before I was due to go on holiday and didn’t want to risk the repair taking longer than a day so it’s booked in for after my hols

Couldn’t even log into myAudi today in the car but I’m sick of it so haven’t logged in for weeks. Interestingly enough it seems like the myAudi database is undergoing some hefty updates as I have seen a screen showing all the outage times. Make sure your personal details are up to date as apparently all profiles which aren’t will be automatically deleted
Yes, as a recent new myAudi user, I have seen the database update notifications as well. Just checked my details and all fields correctly recorded.

I suspect your login issues are due to the MMI on your vehicle not being to the current version 3281. Recommend you give Audi Digital Services a call - 0800 279 2884 or email digitalsupport.uk@audi.de - calls are answered in Greece and usually within a couple of rings (the clue is the European ring tone). You’re straight through to a support engineer, no faffing about with menu options and I’ve found them very helpful, particularly over the 3281 update and this TPI code. Email confirmation of your conversation with case number is always supplied so you can wave these in front of your Audi centre personnel if required. I was in and fixed within 48 hours of calling the support line.

Good luck!

I have a 2020 A4 Avant 40 TDI that I took delivery of at the beginning of March, with the same log out and inability to lock/unlock the doors from the app, but I can send destinations to the car. The software is also 3248.

I've just contacted Audi and given the TPI Number 2059215, I have an appointment on Monday, fingers crossed that the car comes home with software version 3281.
The software update didn't quite go to plan. After the car was at the dealers for about four hours, I got a phone call to let me know that it had been done. On collecting the car, I checked, only to find that the software was still 3248. Not enough time to try again that day, so a new appointment was made. Still no luck installing the update. Back again for a third time, same story. Fourth visit was better, but they had to make six attempts before it was successful.

No log on, myAudi connection, or remote door locking/unlocking issues since.

So, mine went in today. They had the car for most of the day, but no issues were reported during the update. Got in the car earlier to try it all out and every time I try and use the app I get a message saying "Network Error: An SSL error and a secure connection to the server cannot be made." I tried logging out and back in, but now I cant even do that. I get a similar error message. So the car has gone in, and come out with less functionality than it had beforehand! The MMI seems to work fine ok so far...

Is this a server issue? Is it just me or are the app servers down for maintenance? It worked before I dropped the car off!...

And to top it all off, they scratched the piano black trim around the gear leaver with all of the covid cleaning they did. To say I'm P1$$ed off is an understatement!

Media: CL32_MIB3H_AU_ER_G455_A3B_2001801PROD-1

Think there something going on. After over a month with no issues. I’m unable to contact the vehicle today from the app.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Think there something going on. After over a month with no issues. I’m unable to contact the vehicle today from the app.

They are doing some major updates to the server side of MyAudi. I saw a note in the app a few days ago, although i can't remember the dates. I know it's early August though. I'm expecting issues.

Don’t believe it’s meant to start till 7th august through 12th. Guess I’ll hang fire.

Reactions: Painman1963
Re the servers being down: That’s good to know in a way. It least it’s not something the garage did.

I can now log in but nothing works at all.

Hope they sort it soon.

Have just contacted Audi Digital Services - 0800 279 2884 - operational 24/7.

After not using my vehicle since Saturday, I noticed this evening after a short grocery store trip that the app wasn’t updating the vehicle‘s status - odometer reading, range, tank fill %age etc.

I’d also noticed during the short journey that the radio screen was not displaying the individual thumbnail logos in both the ‘list’ and for each unique station selected. The screen did display the broadcaster details - host, artist, title etc, but a generic DAB symbol replaced the station logo. Eventually, these started to populate slowly and then fully recover. Whether this is stable or not is anyone’s guess.

Audi Digital Services confirmed ongoing server issues throughout today, which remain unresolved and are escalated to high priority status. These issues are affecting various aspects of the platform with the domino effect of one failure affecting other digital services. This server problem certainly affects the myAudi app and likely ‘entertainment’ services...amongst others.

The agent’s best advice is to wait until Wednesday for, hopefully, service restoration, or to contact Digital Services for further support/information.

The notified technical updates requiring users to have completed all requested personal data or face re-registration is between 07/08/20 (13:00 UTC+2) and 12/08/20 (UTC 22:00+2) depending on service required.

Reactions: Painman1963
Have just contacted Audi Digital Services - 0800 279 2884 - operational 24/7.

After not using my vehicle since Saturday, I noticed this evening after a short grocery store trip that the app wasn’t updating the vehicle‘s status - odometer reading, range, tank fill %age etc.

I’d also noticed during the short journey that the radio screen was not displaying the individual thumbnail logos in both the ‘list’ and for each unique station selected. The screen did display the broadcaster details - host, artist, title etc, but a generic DAB symbol replaced the station logo. Eventually, these started to populate slowly and then fully recover. Whether this is stable or not is anyone’s guess.

Audi Digital Services confirmed ongoing server issues throughout today, which remain unresolved and are escalated to high priority status. These issues are affecting various aspects of the platform with the domino effect of one failure affecting other digital services. This server problem certainly affects the myAudi app and likely ‘entertainment’ services...amongst others.

The agent’s best advice is to wait until Wednesday for, hopefully, service restoration, or to contact Digital Services for further support/information.

The notified technical updates requiring users to have completed all requested personal data or face re-registration is between 07/08/20 (13:00 UTC+2) and 12/08/20 (UTC 22:00+2) depending on service required.

Attachments

• 0F944BD8-B8F4-4EDD-85B7-788AEB02BD10.png
    0F944BD8-B8F4-4EDD-85B7-788AEB02BD10.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 285
I have 3281 installed and am experiencing the same issues aswell regarding the app not connecting. Fingers crossed its sorted soon!

Think I have cracked it. The updates applied by Audi did not work. Audi Technical requested that the dealer replace the Gateway Control Unit. This had to be manufactured from VIN and took two weeks. Once replaced i have had no further issues.

No continual re-logging in
Sends destination to the car
Show Location of vehicle
Retrieves and updates fuel level, oil level, range, total milage etc
Shows warning status e.g. lights on, door open etc.

Tip. Don't take your car to the dealers for the CGU with a bike in the back. It is a back seat to job :)

I have 3281 installed and am experiencing the same issues aswell regarding the app not connecting. Fingers crossed its sorted soon!
So, further to the ongoing server outage under discussion, I’ve tried the myAudi app again just now with this result..
With the general technical update window just around the corner, I doubt we’ll see functionality restored anytime soon. I’ll contact the Digital Services gurus again later this morning to see if they can offer any more intel on what’s (not) happening.

Attachments

• F98B1448-5C2F-4C92-A990-58EFAD9ADA93.jpeg
    F98B1448-5C2F-4C92-A990-58EFAD9ADA93.jpeg
    57.6 KB · Views: 296
Spoke to digital services this morning and they said that the server is now back up and running (for now). I deleted the app, logged in again and it is now updating car status again and I can send locations/lock & unlock remotely (something I’ve never been able to do).

Happy days. For now...

Ive had Beta versions of updates installed by dealer sent to them by Audi Technical. Both of which didn't solve the login issues. Now had the Gateway Control Unit replaced on the advice of Audi Technical. After two weeks I still have had had no log in prompts and have full functionality. Apparently the GCU has been superseded and a replacement part no released to solve the issue. Mention it to the dealer when you speak to them. Mine was the second the dealer has replaced. Its a back seat out to to get to it.

IMG 4710 copy 2