Markeyboys 1.8T thread

Is there benefits of fitting the larger calipers? Or am I better off keeping the originals

got the new brake setup fitted today and it all makes sense now

didnt change the calipers, as stated above by reesey and customboy they are the same, the carriers are different to push the calipers away to clear the larger discs

they fill the wheels better
7d0ee378.jpg

5963ce7a.jpg

the carriers need to be paint matched as they look lile somone has left a childs toy in there lol
but they have come a long ay from when i got them

890c1ed0.jpg

blead the brake system with dot 5.1 using an eazyblead, still beading them in but they work really well, a noticable improvement in stopping ability, will be given a full test in a coupple of days once they have done a few normal miles

ninja black paint

c5bab994.jpg

its a step in the right diretion to a solution of a problem that shouldnt really exist lol

Really good write up.. I really want one of these to start playing around with and you have done pretty much all the mods I had in mind.
Out of curiosity have you owned any similar cars to compare with? What I mean is I used to have a standard Seat Leon Cupra R 225 and wondered how a tuned A3 1.8T would compare...

Keep up the good work :)

cheers fella,

one of my mates has a lcr, both in pretty much standard trim he could easily pull from me,

he is now stage 1 mapped, just before i got mine done so was not able to get a good comparison. how it feels after mine was mapped (stage1.5custom) it would give it a very good run for its money, and dare i say it maby even have the edge when he was standard

im heading off to nurburgring with him in 10 days so ill see how they square up against each other, pretty sure he'll be quicker, he should be around 250-260 but hopfully i have weight on my side, time will tell

I checked the weights a while back and I think the A3 is about 150kg lighter than a Cupra R so that should off-set the power difference quite a bit. A 210 (ish) bhp A3 should have the legs on a standard Cupra R I would have thought and they're no slouch! If I wasn't doing 300 odd miles a week i'd take the plunge, until then i'm stuck with my diesel Golf :-(

dam, im about 150K heavier than my mate lol

i get good economy out of mine if i drive it nicley, regularly see 44+mpg on a run if im good, havnt done any distance since the map but im confident it can still make good mpg's

Feed him up on the way and make sure you have a big poo before you go on track - job done!

That's not bad going but I see 60+ out of the oil burner on a good run so for now will have to remain as captain sensible...

that is good mpg's

my mate eats like a horse n never puts on weight, maby ill take a poo in his car, my loss is his gain :superman:

todays efforts

matt black wrapped the chrome grill surround

before
6df77d75.jpg

after
8eb4a24a.jpg

really pushed my patients to the limit on this one, took ages to get it bubble free and looking nice, plus a little blood shed when removing the chrome surround

ill hopfully get it on the car tomorrow, so no more "is that an astra" comments from random numptys :keule:

with the nurburgring trip quickly approaching i decided to give the old girl an oil change, the only day i got time to do it was when the weather was sadly not at its best,

here was my solution

99955f5b.jpg

all good untill i needed to get out, small garage door plus a slightly larger beer belly didnt match, exit through the boot it was,
runs as sweat as a nut now, and i stayed dry, which was also nice

another photo sitting outside citylink collecting my new tyres

8f9921be.jpg

im much prefering the origional grill with the chrome wrapped

this has been planned for a while, very shortly after the rumors that "the ring" was closing down, have not heard any more about it but there as a few save the ring banners dotted arround the local areas

4:45, leave home and meet up with daz n lol on the a2 and head down to dover,
board ferry as 6:45 and arrive in france at 9 french time,

DSC_0261.jpg

straight out of france and into belguim, very boring but exciting none the less, round the brussells ring road which was mental

a quick stop at waremme for fuel
DSC_0266.jpg

and its nice to have the little leaver on the fuel nosel that holds the gun on :icon_thumright:

more driving, but finally into germany where the roads went to single lane but the ferver into germany we go the more amazing it gets, apart from thr tractor that as quickly overtaken
DSC_0274.jpg

finally we arrive at adenue
P1020209.jpg

check in and go to the room, where e are greeted with this viwe of the track
DSC_0277.jpg

there was a 4 hour endurance race going on at the time so we took a walk accross the road and spent a hour watching the remainder of the race
DSC_0298.jpg

DSC_0295.jpg

DSC_0313.jpg

heres our hotel in the background
DSC_0318.jpg

a few reminders of the dangers involved with the nurburgring
P1020267.jpg

P1020268.jpg

d4792403.jpg

now off to the ring to hopfulle get one lap in

the carparks were full so we ended up in the one outside the gates
P1070069.jpg

took a walk over to the ticket sales and main carpark
P1070072.jpg

P1070074.jpg

P1070076.jpg

P1070078.jpg

talk about car envy, were we th only ones who didnt have exotic motors?? lol

us queing up for our first lap

P1070080.jpg

and just after
P1070091.jpg

as you can see, were all very happy with how the first lap went
iv never seen or been overtaken by so many wicked cars in my life, awesome!!!

the track closed shortly after e compleeted our first lap, so we headed back home for a well deserved drink

P1070105.jpg

followed by a huge steak

more comming soon, uploading is v slow,

next morning we head to the ring for an 8:00 start

P1070114.jpg

the place was empty, maby 20 cars in the car park total!

heres the first lap vid, it was very foggy but also very empty

nurburgring + GP tourist lap in Audi A3 1.8T - YouTube

P1070119.jpg

P1070128.jpg

P1070133.jpg

we still had part of the GP track open at this point, very wide and technical,

a few more cats started to arrive,
P1070150.jpg

and this was as busy as it got lol

P1070153.jpg

Nice thread mate really enjoyed reading your progress :). Lovely car mate

P1070194.jpg

another little reminder to behave!

P1070168.jpg

P1070162.jpg

after 3 laps each nordschleife + a bit of GP over the corse of the morning we decided to head down to ring work for a walk around the museum, well worth a visit and you get in free if you buy a 4 lap ticket

P1070236.jpg

P1070237.jpg

P1070244.jpg

P1070292.jpg

P1070309.jpg

theres soo much to see and do here, really up close, and interactive,

stoped off at the castle to have a wander around, also iv beentold by westy you can see the whole ring from up here, unfortuniatly it was quite misty so the views were quite limited

P1070314.jpg

P1070324.jpg

P1070329.jpg

its actually the coldest place in the world at the top too

we headed back to base for some food and beer, followed by rest lol

next day, awoke to find a slight flurry of snow aaaahhh, all was fine as the track wasnt open untill 2 in the afternoon, so it was off to ring work again for a bit of gift shopping,
got some stickers, a mug, huge flag and a biscuit cutter in the shape of the ring!
and i couldnt resist getting a photo done here

P1070348.jpg

then off for a play on the local roads, which are amazing

P1070374.jpg

P1070373.jpg

2pm quickly came around and it was time to play on the track again

leave hotel and stright onto track, dosnt get better than that!

another very busy car park

P1070418.jpg

P1070426.jpg

P1070445.jpg

my best lap of the trip, shocking camera angle with lots of sky,

nurburgring 9.50BTG in audi A3 1.8T - YouTube

9:50 BTG not pushed to the max, maby 80% as the old girl still had to get me home in the morning, plus the suspension really is showing 119k miles of use, next possible upgrade?????

my last two laps were taken slowly to take all the track in, being smooth and not going mad on my last lap! and i had a camera man just outside our hotel

DSC_0532.jpg

DSC_0533.jpg

DSC_0536.jpg

more tomorrow......

that above was sadly my last lap, i loved every second of it, we headed back to the hotel to drop the cars off n headed back up the hill to watch a bit more of the tourist laps

DSC_0512.jpg

DSC_0521.jpg

DSC_0560.jpg

DSC_0563.jpg

DSC_0567.jpg

DSC_0586.jpg

DSC_0594.jpg

DSC_0606.jpg

then off to the hotel for the final drinking session and another steak on a stone!

P1070110.jpg

these are amazing! all for about £12

next day we got up and heard things driving around the ring, so it was rude not to go and investigate

DSC_0648.jpg

DSC_0650.jpg

DSC_0673.jpg

DSC_0665.jpg

DSC_0667.jpg

now its time to head home, one corner on the way out of adenue

DSC_0679.jpg

and a minor detour
DSC_0741.jpg

it just so happened that there was a bit of track action at spa and an open gate

DSC_0760.jpg

DSC_0758.jpg

DSC_0761.jpg

DSC_0762.jpg

DSC_0766.jpg

DSC_0782.jpg

another little touch, but now its time to get to calais for the ferry, and to the end of out trip

had an amazing time, i would reccommend it to everyone, and i'd happilly get up and head out there right now,
my a3 held up very well, no major issues only what i am now suspecting is a slight warped disc

after a little bit of internet searching of nurburgring photographers i found these

14.jpg

15.jpg

17.jpg

20.jpg

21.jpg

9.jpg

and since iv now earned it

eee0dd79.jpg

832a9b88.jpg

Great pics there mate. I'm very jealous that you got to go on part of the F1 track as that's never been open when I've been. I wasn't going to go to the ring this year as I've just bought a house and probably wont be able to afford it but those pics above are really making me want to save like mad so I can get there.

Great pics there mate. I'm very jealous that you got to go on part of the F1 track as that's never been open when I've been. I wasn't going to go to the ring this year as I've just bought a house and probably wont be able to afford it but those pics above are really making me want to save like mad so I can get there.

The F1 part was good, there was loads of room on the track and nothing off track if it went wrong,
The first corner is hard, you can't see the turn before your on top of it,

I'm trying to save up again, I want to go back, thought it would be a one off but I'm hooked!

Would love to take the bike there, think that could be really fun too,

my plans for a set of JOM coilies, intercooler mods and a nice cat back system have been some what haulted, and in its place may well be a tow bar!

reason being i have just bought the mother of all projects

heres the attention hogging monster
7314e927.jpg

4110a82a.jpg

its a 73 bay window T2, which was badly in need of being rescued.
somone has had "a go" at a restoring it, which is the main reason its in such a bad state!

heres an example of the extent of work that needs to be done
89ee9936.jpg

73542001.jpg

so iv got my work cut out for a while

Awersome read mate love it!!! Got a nice project to keep you going as well. Good work. :)

cheers fella, glad you enjoyed reading it. yea, few years work in that bus to keep me going

Great read mate fantastic !! Good luck with the bus if u need anything just give me a holla !

Great read mate fantastic !! Good luck with the bus if u need anything just give me a holla !

cheers mate,

what i really need is either a magic man who can transform rust into metal or a really big pot (ideally bus sized) that i can fill with krust and dunk it in lol

tiny update,

rear beam bushes are well on their way out, knocking and banging away over evey little bump and lump in the road, thats on my immediate to do list once i have figured out how to make a tool to remove and replace the bushes. i dont really fancy paying £60 for the tool when i have access to a lathe and it looks like it can be easily made
if ant one knows of the right sizes please let me know

i managed to pick up some osram cool blue intense headlight, side and full beam lamps off a mate, nice and cheap
heres the lights in action

left is new right is old standard
0d76c739.jpg

57a409e9.jpg

92b71de6.jpg

5b9ed17a.jpg

they are so much brighter and gives off alot more whiter light, and are very nice to drive with

heres a coupple of the rust bus
front floor pan
c76a7e74.jpg

some of the rot cut away and new step trial fitted
c40bb12c.jpg

a2f30ce5.jpg

still a very long way to go on this one

Another teenie weenie update,

A very nice postie gave this to me today
4e6c69bb.jpg

Wonder what's inside???

Will have to wait till the morning cos I'm off to prept now at brands hatch

Another teenie weenie update,

A very nice postie gave this to me today
4e6c69bb.jpg

Wonder what's inside???

Will have to wait till the morning cos I'm off to prept now at brands hatch

Will keep an eye out, heading up a bit later on.

inside the box
b059e5ce.jpg

only got around to fitting the fronts today,

this is how it sat before
645faca4.jpg

MONSTER TRUCK!!

after
492e7389.jpg

and after a drive
228a0b9b.jpg

im happy with the look, drives very nice, firm but not harsh by any means,
speed bumps at this height is an issue, i carefully and slowly straddled one on a road that i use alot and was rewarded by various scraped and crunches,
its now been upped by 15mm and ill give it another test flight tonight

iv been on many test flights in the a3 now, we are now clearing speed bumps however i still avoid straddling them where possible,

what is the lowest part of the underside, is it the sump???

still have to get the timing belt changed, have the kit in the boot inc water pump. just waiting for a convenient time to fit it in, the rear beam bushes will also get done while its in there

a few more bus photos for ya
f8a2c777.jpg

pas side wheel arch
C4A6B2DF-1DCB-4188-A74F-3C1AD182752C-2891-000001AF7547D933.jpg

5DD19E20-5A2C-4154-A48D-F1B81525C36A-3057-000000E5F4E14DDA.jpg

1B86E904-67C0-4E34-A343-D7A4EA810A42-3763-000001B9FD007F26.jpg

pas cab floor, with past repairs
E4D1D8FB-7CD1-4CD9-AC85-A42A2570D175-5875-000002FA3AD9AD4D.jpg

front beam off
52B6EB39-EFF5-4083-AEAC-F12226B4E3DA-6530-000002B931228BE5.jpg

this is the heaviest ti=hing to date that i have ever taken off of a vehicle (removed lighter engines!!!!!)

40CD8C75-C893-4524-9687-894ED0E779E8-6530-000002B87887007D.jpg

A little update on the car front,

The rear beam bushes were really worn, I bought a new pair and read some reviews and guides on how to change them, looked like a right pain to do without ramps and the right tools,
Managed to convince a mechanic to do them for me got £35 a side,
Has made a huge difference and really improved the handling of the old beast,

It's due a per winter service now too so that's my next job, had the timing belt, idler and water pump changed too, so it's still getting a little bit of love,

I'm still getting a random clunk from what I think is the drive shafts, when turning lock to lock moving slowly and occasionally on acceleration
Iv found a place that will do them for around £60 a side if memory serves me correctly, is there more than one kind of drive shaft for the 1.8t a3's (I know they will differ side to side but fitment wise)

Just read this thread. Nice work mate... Some good pics at the ring too! keep up the good work