March 2019 brake fluid change

eribaMotters

Reaction score
I've got a service contract, 1 x oil + inspection and 1 x oil.
I've just collected my car back from the oil + inspection and was informed it will need a brake fluid change at 2 years and 3 months. Service lady was not surprised at my polite reply stating they had recently received notification from Audi that the 3 year first brake fluid change had been pulled back to 27 months for vehicles registered after March 2019.
When I got home I received an update call which tied in with the paperwork I received. They had actually done the brake fluid change and not charged me for it, including it as part of the oil + inspection.

Am I having my plonker pulled or have Audi changed the 1st brake fluid change period. I tried looking at MyAudi, but as guessed that is not working.

Colin

ps, after only 12K miles my tyres are down to between 3.3 and 4.1 mm which I thought was fairly worn. Looks like replace at 16/18K with allseasons

Cant comment on March 2019 or later builds, but the 2018s are still at 3 years for first brake fluid change.

Check the dealer has actually done the brake fluid change properly - on two occasions Perth Audi only bothered to change the brake fluid on the front callipers as apparently the rear ones are difficult to bleed properly, so they don't bother doing them. Can easily check by removing the rubber dust cap on the bleed nipple - if it isn't wet with brake fluid they probably haven't been touched. Can also check for signs a spanner has been on the bleed nipple as well, there's usually a build up of dirt on the hex part that would have been disturbed by a spanner.

Might also want to check they've changed the oil as well as I've had Perth Audi and Edinburgh Audi both fail to do that despite claiming it had been done. Can't trust Audi dealers sadly.

Reactions: Fatbloke
I'm of a trusting nature and have to assume they have done what they have said has been done.
What I'm trying to find out is the brake fluid service regime. Has it been changed?

Colin

Brake fluid hasn't changed by design so doubt very much the brake fluid change has from the initial 3yr then 2yr there after. If you drove a vehicle with 4yr+ fluid then jumped in an identical vehicle with fresh fluid believe me you would notice the pedal difference.

I fully understand the logic behind 3yr then 2yr regime, as factory fill brake fluid is known to be fresh, but that on the service garage shelf may have been open for a while and absorbed moisture from the air. I'm also aware some will say you can test the fluid with a hydrometer for specific gravity so the fluid should not specifically be changed at set time intervals.
So I cannot understand why they are saying Audi have now told garages 2 year and 3 months for post March 2019 cars.

Colin

This is what I find annoying about the flexi service system. Your "main" oil/inspection services might be at 18 month ish intervals but then you get other things like brake fluid, Haldex oil, pollen filters etc that are year based. So everything gets out of sync and you need 2 service visits in 5 or 6 months. You might as well stick with an annual service and at least you know where you are.

I fully understand the logic behind 3yr then 2yr regime, as factory fill brake fluid is known to be fresh, but that on the service garage shelf may have been open for a while and absorbed moisture from the air. I'm also aware some will say you can test the fluid with a hydrometer for specific gravity so the fluid should not specifically be changed at set time intervals.

Colin

Garages will have a regular turnover of service items such as brake fluid and I’ve never known one to leave brake fluid exposed to air.

Garages will have a regular turnover of service items such as brake fluid and I’ve never known one to leave brake fluid exposed to air.
I should have made that clearer. I believe 30L is a fairly common size drum of brake fluid. Over a period of time this will be open and closed many times. I'm guessing it might be pumped out, it might be decanted into something smaller. but it will be open to the air. When it's closed I also wonder if the seal would be totally air tight. The contents are therefore exposed to the air for an unknown time and could have absorbed moisture. Audi or for that matter any other car manufacturer cannot quantify this potential exposure and as such air on the safe side, saying 2 years for any garage supplied brake fluid.

What I'm still after is news of anybody else who has been told the first fluid change is 2 year and 3 months for post March 2019 cars.

Colin

30 litres! Blimey, I’ve never known brake fluid to come in anything bigger than a 5 litre can. I always buy either 1 or 2 litres at a time simply for the fact that it won’t spoil in those quantities and I think most workshops do too. Once it’s poured out of a 5 litre can, it doesn’t go back in so you’ll get a fair bit of wastage. I only ever had a 5 litre can once when our local motor factor delivered by mistake (they said to keep it for the same price of a 1 litre) and it took ages to use up. 2 years 3 months seems a very short time span for a brake fluid change and on par with the 5 year timing belt con!

For us stateside it's 2 years straight out from delivery. Would make sense that Audi can get another year from the factory since it is more of an controlled environment. It can take up to 8 months for some over here in NA to receive their vehicles so I guess they kept it to 2 years.
Brake fluid

My S3 has just been done, 2 years from new, per service schedule. The wife’s A4 has just been done, at 3 years from new. The A1 we also have was 3 years from new, and then every 2 years.

Only my S3 appears different. A4 and A1, £70 at the dealer, S3, £100, nobody could explain that.

Brakes, no point taking a risk, for such a small cost

Doing a brake fluid flush in a few weeks

300ml each side at the rear
200ml each side at the front
200ml clutch

Bought 2x 1litre of ATE DOT4

Whenever I do a brake fluid change at work, if the reservoir is dirty inside, I normally pop it off the master cylinder, wash it out with soapy water, rinse and dry using the air blower and then put it under the hot air dryer. You can use a hair dryer but for obvious reasons, make sure it is completely dry before popping it back on.

What might cause the reservoir get dirty on the inside? and why?
Minute rubber particles from the brake master cylinder reservoir being backwashed into the reservoir. The fluid turns a darker colour too. What’s more, if it is that contaminated, it is a MOT failure now (I am a registered MOT tester).

Reactions: MarttiMat and Potterswheel
OK, back to the original question, which is what I'm trying to get an answer on.
Is anybody aware that Audi have changed the first, that's the 3 year brake fluid change to 27 months for vehicles registered after March 2019.

Thanks - Colin

I have an inexpensive tool for testing brake fluid hydroscopic content. I calibrate it against a fresh container of fluid. Three year cycle works but I do live in dry climate.

I have an inexpensive tool for testing brake fluid hydroscopic content. I calibrate it against a fresh container of fluid. Three year cycle works but I do live in dry climate.

Common misconception to spell it as "hydro" thinking water. It is actually hygroscopic. I constantly got corrected in auto school for that one and now lives with me forever.
On another note, those tools are very helpful. I have the tests strips myself.

ps, after only 12K miles my tyres are down to between 3.3 and 4.1 mm which I thought was fairly worn. Looks like replace at 16/18K with allseasons
I'd be happy with that, on this A5 coupe I had to change my fronts at under 7,000 mile and my rears will need doing this year and I'm only on 10,100!!! Grippy tyres but made of butter. My S3 was sold on the original tyres @ 17,500 mile, but I did do a lot more long distance trips with the S3, now I'm just in and out of town.

If you want all season tyres look at the 'Bridgestone A005's' https://www.bridgestone.co.uk/car-tyres/all-season-tyres-weather-control/a005