Mapping options for a spanking new car?

Tips

Reaction score
Hi all,

Reading all your threads has got me uber excited about getting my new car and tweaking it to look unique and as I'd like it.

However, there are of course numerous performance related tweaks and often top of the list is a remap.
As stated before I'm a newbie to modding and am obviously interested in getting the most out of what the engine is capable of.

I'm not going to lie, I'm not after better mpg but if I can get more power and torque but keep mpg the same then who wouldn't?

But my sticking point is that I just don't understand the technology and what the implications are, especially how it might affect the Audi warranty.

I've no doubt I'm not the first to ask so please point me in the direction of any idiots guides you know of. Otherwise I'd greatly appreciate your expert and experienced views.

Thanks all

Remap is better and way more refined than a tuning box

Which I totally appreciate but I'm worried that in doing so I will void my Audi warranty. Is that not the case?
Is it worth the risk for the extra performance only to be left in the lurch if a part fails?

If it was an older vehicle with no standard warranty then I'd go for a proper remap.

Reactions: scottshere
A properly developed remap will give you zero issues unless there is a manufacturing defect already present which should be sorted by the manufacturer anyway

I've known plenty of people remap brand new cars and had no issues. Even if they have they have been covered by the manufacturer

A tuning box can still throw codes and give issues

All I'll say is do your research ;)

Reactions: Tips
If your car goes in for any warranty work and requires a SVM update the remap will be picked up by the ODIS system and reported back, which will then flag a TD1 against you vin number. Remember it's not the dealer that covers the first 2 years of warranty it's audi themselves, and if there is a TD1 flag against your vin they won't warranty any engine, gearbox or drivetrain issues.

Personally I would not bother, but if your worried about the warranty then a tuning box may give an error code but that can be cleared via VCDS, but it will not affect the checksum of the ECU which is what ODIS is detecting.

If your car goes in for any warranty work and requires a SVM update the remap will be picked up by the ODIS system and reported back, which will then flag a TD1 against you vin number. Remember it's not the dealer that covers the first 2 years of warranty it's audi themselves, and if there is a TD1 flag against your vin they won't warranty any engine, gearbox or drivetrain issues.

Personally I would not bother, but if your worried about the warranty then a tuning box may give an error code but that can be cleared via VCDS, but it will not affect the checksum of the ECU which is what ODIS is detecting.

Sorry but I disagree. I know people who had their car done by a big name company and had approx half a dozen warranty claims; all were paid out by the manufacturer; VW in their case

How many people have VCDS or are even aware that mapping / tuning boxes can throw codes??

TD1 is scaremongering IMO

Reactions: scottshere
A properly developed remap will give you zero issues unless there is a manufacturing defect already present which should be sorted by the manufacturer anyway

I've known plenty of people remap brand new cars and had no issues. Even if they have they have been covered by the manufacturer

A tuning box can still throw codes and give issues

All I'll say is do your research ;)

Come on man, you still believe this 'tuning box' gives fault codes rubbish?

Been running my tdi-tuning box on my BiTdi for the last 8k miles, no fault codes at all. My previous B5 Passat 1.9tdi, tuning box for 14 years and 120k+ miles! No fault codes that I can remember, only for failed sensors like the CTS, MAF and brake switch, which are all common wear and tear items!

I don't doubt a remap is the better option, but if you want it reversible, then a tuning box ticks the right boxes. ASN members get 10% off too! :)

Thanks all for you input.
Way too nervous about voiding my warranty so a tuning box is the way forward for me I think.

In addition to the above I like that it's portable. I usually swap in my cars every 2 - 3 years so this makes sense.

I like the idea of being able to switch modes between efficiency vs power.

As for which box to go for TDI Tuning seem to have the best reviews from what I've read.

Having said all that I'm not getting my car for almost two months so I still appreciate points of view and any updates that might sway my current thinking.

Thanks again all

Good man , I don't usually recommended a box over a superior remap , but anything under warranty...

Sorry but I disagree. I know people who had their car done by a big name company and had approx half a dozen warranty claims; all were paid out by the manufacturer; VW in their case

How many people have VCDS or are even aware that mapping / tuning boxes can throw codes??

TD1 is scaremongering IMO

I didn't say it would or would not throw up TD1

The cases I know of involved Revo

From the horse's mouth .

2016 09 03 083405

2016 09 03 083008

Reactions: B5NUT
Come on man, you still believe this 'tuning box' gives fault codes rubbish?

I do because I've seen it with my own eyes when mapping people's cars who have previously used a tuning box and decided to go for a remap ;)

I also tell them that nothing is un-detectable when it comes to the dealer / manufacturing finding out.

Like I said, do your research and pick what's best for you :)

Remaps and tuning boxes will find any manufacturing weaknesses already present, even in brand new cars, so you just got to hope you don't get a Friday afternoon car!! :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

Well my build start date is Monday 26th Sept ...

Hi all,

Reading all your threads has got me uber excited about getting my new car and tweaking it to look unique and as I'd like it.

However, there are of course numerous performance related tweaks and often top of the list is a remap.
As stated before I'm a newbie to modding and am obviously interested in getting the most out of what the engine is capable of.

I'm not going to lie, I'm not after better mpg but if I can get more power and torque but keep mpg the same then who wouldn't?

But my sticking point is that I just don't understand the technology and what the implications are, especially how it might affect the Audi warranty.

I've no doubt I'm not the first to ask so please point me in the direction of any idiots guides you know of. Otherwise I'd greatly appreciate your expert and experienced views.

Thanks all
What car you got?

Sent from my XT1580 using Tapatalk

Will still be picked up during an SVM update, regardless of it being on or off. Anything modifieds the ECU can be picked up, as the checksums will be different than the original.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rhyso and CHEZ
Will still be picked up during an SVM update, regardless of it being on or off. Anything modifieds the ECU can be picked up, as the checksums will be different that the original.

I didn't know that, I thought it was the sneaky option

Sneaky option is the tuning boxes, as it does not modify the software on the ECU. I can imagine however at some point VW will have ECU software to detect these boxes. After all they had software to detect emissions testing..

Sneaky option is the tuning boxes, as it does not modify the software on the ECU. I can imagine however at some point VW will have ECU software to detect these boxes. After all they had software to detect emissions testing..
The idea is to remove it for servicing, a 5 minute job! My car is going in for a service tomorrow, the warranty is long gone at 4 years old and 108k miles, but just incase I need a goodwill fix, I will maintain full Audi service history for the next year! Tuning box will be taken off in the morning.

Mapped bitdi 388 bhp for last two years. Running fine no issues. The tuner has the ability to remove the map before dealer visit so the no TD1 codes are activated. Regularly tunes new Rs6, R8, Rs3 S3, S4 etc etc.

Previously i had TD tuning box supposedly pushing out 377 bhp. Actually figure on rolling road was 342 bhp. So the tuning boxes are a poor equivalent to custom mapping.

Last edited:
Reactions: jojo, Rhyso and Tips
Mapped bitdi 388 bhp for last two years. Running fine no issues. The tuner has the ability to remove the map before dealer visit so the no TD1 codes are activated. Regularly tunes new Rs6, R8, Rs3 S3, S4 etc etc.

Previously i had TD tuning box supposedly pushing out 377 bhp. Actually figure on rolling road was 342 bhp. So the tuning boxes are a poor equivalent to custom mapping.
May I ask who has mapped your car?

Isn't TD1 to do with also the amount of times it's been refashed so changing to and fro ups the count ?

Let's hope the dealer and your insurance company can't read

Sounds like a threat Jackos. Strange post.
On another forum there was a guy reporting direct to Audi with forum members photographs of their cars who had modded their cars.

Why the heck was that posted 6 months after this thread ended?

Jackos what is going on? you've posted 3 times, twice asking if you need to inform your insurer of a remap (which is yes), I've just replied back to one of these posts providing info from a few years of experience on the limitations and expectations of doing this. Now you've posted a threat a day late as if you have experience on the matter?

Tuning boxes except the OBD flashed ones (Bluefin for example) don't affect the ECU they work along side it being connected to sensor points on the engine to look at the safe levels they can add more or less fuel/air and boost on top of the standard ECU's map to give you an adjusted map with more power and torque.

The down sides are you won't get all of the quoted power increase I can guarantee that but the torque increases won't be far off and also a remap has much more control and can be much more aggressive giving you higher gains.

The upside however is it doesn't modify the ECU directly making it much easier to disconnect without leaving an obvious imprint of the tune. This isn't saying that a dealer couldn't delve deeper through sensor history and see that they have been running leaner than the ECU was supposed to run them but there is no obvious imprint to say they should route further into whether a tune existed, also there is no proof that it was anything more than a faulty sensor and prove there was a tuning.

I will repeat though always report any modification to your insure and do research on your options before committing to any.

Sounds like a threat Jackos. Strange post.
On another forum there was a guy reporting direct to Audi with forum members photographs of their cars who had modded their cars.

Calm down it's only a Forum thread.

It was not a threat, merely an observation that it seems a bit strange to remove a performance enhancing deployment before taking a car to a dealer and then broadcast it on a Forum.

Absit Infidia

Forum is largely anonymous so as to avoid persons out there that get great joy of informing Audi of cars that appear modded within warranty periods. It takes all sorts and indeed there are some spectacular r soles out there and your post is indeed questionable especially as your brand new.

And there has been persons who took users picture extracted the reg number and emailed Audi warranty direct. Thats has happened fact.

Calm down it's only a Forum thread.

It was not a threat, merely an observation that it seems a bit strange to remove a performance enhancing deployment before taking a car to a dealer and then broadcast it on a Forum.

Absit Infidia

I am not brand new I am 69! However my A6 Avant SLine is.

It is quite flattering that I am suspected of being a "SPY", unfortunately that is just a mild case of the onset of Paranoia.

Might I therefore suggest that you understand the meaning of "ABSIT INFIDIA" because that was the sincere intention of my post.

Reactions: The Black Panther
Are you also Russian ? :footy::welcoming::pirate:

Brand new on here and ideal age for a curmudgeon !
I am not brand new I am 69! However my A6 Avant SLine is.

It is quite flattering that I am suspected of being a "SPY", unfortunately that is just a mild case of the onset of Paranoia.

Might I therefore suggest that you understand the meaning of "ABSIT INFIDIA" because that was the sincere intention of my post.

Russians are far to civilised - I live in deepest Shropshire :alien:

Reactions: The Black Panther