Map Update

19ryanh93

Reaction score
Hi All

Ive just been speaking to Audi UK because I cant download maps anymore on my connect licence and they've booked my car in to be checked to see if its eligible for an update to the latest maps and satellite maps for free since Google Earth has stopped working.

Has anyone else had this? Its a 2015 with tech pack

Cheers

you'll be lucky... but if you do I'll be taking mine in

Reactions: Bishop187
Google maps stopped working about 18 months ago due to the licensing agreement ending with Audi but only affects older models like ours. Lots of p!$$ed of owners, me included. Apparently there's a work around but unsure exactly what it is.

@DJAlix do you know if its possible to get Google Maps working again with our C7's?

Thanks
Simon
(Watching the McLaren F1 launch but it's dragging on....!)

Your not eligible for any updates, they have long since gone. Your final update would have been around 2018 if applicable, as it was around 2015 that Audi introduced the 6 free update (updates are released twice a year). The updates don't roll over if you don't download them either, so after 3 years you have to pay for them. (expect a bill of £200+) Hope you not paying any diagnostic charge as you will be wasting your money.

As stated above google earth went last year, and Audi won't bring it back for older models. However there is good news :rock: as there is a workaround to get it working again. Bad news :grumpy: is the person who developed the work around charges for it around £150 if memory serves me right (and why not he figured it out) So you need to PM congo on the A5 owners club forum (https://www.a5oc.com/threads/google-earth-saga-and-vw-group.176098/) MODS delete the link if it's not allowed. :thumbs up:

Reactions: SBJ
I’ve got a 2016 ‘7 and haven’t had map updates since 2019.

I started getting notification on the MMI that a new map update was available (late 2019 I think it was) but that I had to contact the dealer as over the air update was not available. Went to the dealer who wanted £500 to update to the latest maps, and no, it wouldn’t maintain Google Map access.

Needless to say I then got the MIB2 hack which enabled Audi SmartPhone, so got Android Auto and Apple Carplay enabled remotely from China. Cost me £100, and have used it daily ever since. I was one of the first UK C7.5 cars to have this installed.

Havent used Audi Navigation for a few years now. Waze all the way :thumbs up:

Reactions: Bishop187
The official line from Audi UK was:

“since your car is 2015 year over the air downloads are not available please speak to your Audi partner about possible free of charge replacment or compensation to upgrade the maps and keep satellite maps as your connect service doesn’t expire”

their doing the check for free so nothing gained nothing lost

Reactions: RAF_S7
I’ve got a 2016 ‘7 and haven’t had map updates since 2019.

I started getting notification on the MMI that a new map update was available (late 2019 I think it was) but that I had to contact the dealer as over the air update was not available. Went to the dealer who wanted £500 to update to the latest maps, and no, it wouldn’t maintain Google Map access.

Needless to say I then got the MIB2 hack which enabled Audi SmartPhone, so got Android Auto and Apple Carplay enabled remotely from China. Cost me £100, and have used it daily ever since. I was one of the first UK C7.5 cars to have this installed.

Havent used Audi Navigation for a few years now. Waze all the way :thumbs up:
I did this as well on my 2015 C7.5. Android auto would be way better with touch screen but even using the click wheel it works well. Google maps, waze, spotify and android assistant are all you need and way better than the installed systems.

Reactions: RAF_S7
You don't say if it has the Tech Pack or not. If it does and assuming it is a UK car, it will have had 3 years of map updates for free (5 updates in total). In theory therefore the car should have had an update sometime in the run up to its 3rd birthday in 2021. In reality this is probably the most recent update available. On my C8, which has essentially the same Navigation system as the C7 Tech Pack with a touch screen interface, there has been at most one update in the last 12 months.

The official route to get any updates is via Audi, for both the Tech Pack and non-Tech pack vehicles. However a bit of searching on here or elsewhere on the web will lead to you to providers who offer updates fro both systems and are able to bypass the need to connect to Audi to finish the update. If your friend has the Tech Pack, then on 2018 car he should also have the Apple CarPlay and Android Auto. To be honest both offer a number of far superior and more uptodate navigation solutions than Audi for free

Reactions: Boydie
Fairly easy to check (apologies if you know this already). If the pop-up screen display has a wide black border around the display and the maps are on an SD card located in one of the slots on the dash then it is the standard system. If the display on the pop up screen uses most of the display and both the sd card slots are behind a flap on the dash and there is wireless phone charging in the arm rest then they have the tech pack. I realise that Apple CarPlay/Android Auto was actually an option not standard with the Tech Pack. But it is something that can be activated (search this forum)

Due to the expiration of the license deal with Audi, Google maps ceased functioning around 18 months ago, albeit only on older models like ours. There are several ped owners, including me. There seems to be a workaround, although it is unknown what it is.
fireboy and watergirl