Manual Transmission S3's (not on Audi configurator)

Snake Pliskin

Supporter
Reaction score
It appears that only S-Tronic sportback and saloons are available to configure on line on the Audi site.

Has Audi dropped the manual models ?

Still have manual option in their sales brochure, saw it Friday last week.

TX.

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk

Still have manual option in their sales brochure, saw it Friday last week.

TX.

Just wondering if they are / have phased out manuals on the 3 as they have on the 4 & 5.

Not sure if a manual TTS still available.

S3 & TTS 'were' the most powerful remaining manuals in the Audi range up to now.

Reactions: Audi Bairn
Audi trying to sell my wife a FL S3 and yes couldn't config one on the system however they will still sell a manual one.

TX.

Reactions: Audi Bairn, richinsoton and Snake Pliskin
Just checked the dealer configurator and it is the same, only manual on the 3 door hatch but then there is talk it is no longer available.

TTS Manual still on the configurator..

Also noticed that "Door mirrors folding" is no longer an option you have to have "Door mirrors folding with auto dim function"

Does that mean folding door mirrors are standard.

Will be a shame if they do drop the manual completely.

Assume it is still available on the GOLF R so no real reason to drop it ?

Audi trying to sell my wife a FL S3 and yes couldn't config one on the system however they will still sell a manual one.

TX.

Your misses prefer the manual TX.
If so same here. My wife has a manual TT and do enjoy driving a manual still and the virtual cockpit is slick.
As much as I like the S-Tronic I would happily have a manual again no problem.

Yep proper "old school" won't even consider dsg. She's never driven the RS3 for that reason, the only car I've ever owned that she will not drive!

Edit - I drive her S3 though and really enjoy the manual still tbf.

TX.

Reactions: Snake Pliskin and Audi Bairn
Just wondering if they are / have phased out manuals on the 3 as they have on the 4 & 5.

Not sure if a manual TTS still available.

S3 & TTS 'were' the most powerful remaining manuals in the Audi range up to now.
You can still get a maula A5 coupe though! However, I went for the s-tronic for the type of car it is, but if I went back to an S3 in the future I'd still look at the manual.

You can still get a maula A5 coupe though! However, I went for the s-tronic for the type of car it is, but if I went back to an S3 in the future I'd still look at the manual.

You you can still get a 2.0 litre FRONT WHEEL DRIVE A5 but no quattro.

If you want a petrol A4 with manual gearbox then you are limited to a frickin 1.4 litre WTF ?

With the clamp down on 'dirty diesels' I wonder if Audi will start phasing in more petrol hybrids ?

in any case, the choice is getting VERY limited for manual gearbox 'rapid' Audis !

If this is true pleased I got a manual S3 saloon when I did.....premium price on resale in years to come for real drivers..ducks!!!!!!!

Reactions: Jassyo06, S1Pete and Snake Pliskin
If this is true pleased I got a manual S3 saloon when I did.....premium price on resale in years to come for real drivers..ducks!!!!!!!

Totally agree .... to drop the manual would be a crying shame.

Last manual I had was a TTS and after 2 s-tronic cars there are times when I miss the manual.

Saying that - I may miss the auto if I went back to manual after 5 years :)

Reactions: Bristle Hound
Yep proper "old school" won't even consider dsg. She's never driven the RS3 for that reason, the only car I've ever owned that she will not drive!

Edit - I drive her S3 though and really enjoy the manual still tbf.

TX.

Exactly the same here ! :)

Reactions: S1Pete
Will be a shame if they do drop the manual completely.

Assume it is still available on the GOLF R so no real reason to drop it ?

Sorry but I suspect there's every reason to drop it as, by all accounts, a miniscule percentage of S3s are ordered with a manual box. I was actually surprised manual was still available.

Reactions: S1Pete
Sorry but I suspect there's every reason to drop it as, by all accounts, a miniscule percentage of S3s are ordered with a manual box. I was actually surprised manual was still available.
Manual Box - Just Love It - Very Slick Shift - Totally Engaging- -

Reactions: Daveotto and Snake Pliskin
Manual Box - Just Love It - Very Slick Shift - Totally Engaging- -

I don't doubt it, nor do I doubt that there are people who prefer a manual. All I'm saying is that such people are in the extreme minority and the sales obviously don't justify it in a lot of models. I suspect the S3 is borderline and I wouldn't be at all surprised if the option disappeared now or in the future.

Reactions: Daveotto and S1Pete
I don't doubt it, nor do I doubt that there are people who prefer a manual. All I'm saying is that such people are in the extreme minority and the sales obviously don't justify it in a lot of models. I suspect the S3 is borderline and I wouldn't be at all surprised if the option disappeared now or in the future.
Agree - -
Driverless S3 Next ! LOL !

Reactions: Snake Pliskin

quick check on autotrader says ca 15% of used nearly new to 2 year old S3's are manual, so market is small but given the VAG group ongoing cost saving not surprising.......no new 3 door models across the range and withdrawal of niche options....shame really

Reactions: S32B, Snake Pliskin and S1Pete
With the improved S-Tronic box in the FL S3, and the fact the model has more torque, the number of manual sales will probably slip even further.

Reactions: S1Pete and Daveotto
Totally agree .... to drop the manual would be a crying shame.

Last manual I had was a TTS and after 2 s-tronic cars there are times when I miss the manual.

Saying that - I may miss the auto if I went back to manual after 5 years :)

When I had a weekend TTS loan I choice manual over DSG, first S3 test drive was DSG and ordered the manual, don't consider myself a "real driver" but just prefer manuals and cant see this changing unless I end up doing a lot of city and rush hour driving

Reactions: Jassyo06, Matt Titanium, S32B and 2 others
When I had a weekend TTS loan I choice manual over DSG, first S3 test drive was DSG and ordered the manual, don't consider myself a "real driver" but just prefer manuals and cant see this changing unless I end up doing a lot of city and rush hour driving

Yeah S-Tronic is fine if you do lots of motorway miles or stop start or you just wanna make the most rapid progress possible but I too find it nice to manually change the gears & no matter how hard I try I can't get used to doing this with the steering wheel paddles.

I always leave it in auto & just use D or S if I want to make quicker acceleration for B road overtakes or whatever.

Don't get me wrong I like S Tronic and do appreciate it but I thoroughly enjoy driving a manual still too so just hope Audi don't drop them completely from all their S cars with the S1 S3 & TTS appearing to be the last cars currently available.

Reactions: Matt Titanium, S32B and Daveotto
You you can still get a 2.0 litre FRONT WHEEL DRIVE A5 but no quattro.

If you want a petrol A4 with manual gearbox then you are limited to a frickin 1.4 litre WTF ?

With the clamp down on 'dirty diesels' I wonder if Audi will start phasing in more petrol hybrids ?

in any case, the choice is getting VERY limited for manual gearbox 'rapid' Audis !
Same with the 'normal' TT, if you want quattro you need to have s-tronic. However, you can get a quattro TTS in manual or s-tronic!!! But the TT RS is quattro s-tronic only :D

Reactions: Snake Pliskin
That may be something to do with the power/torque ?
Perhaps the manual box is near the limit?

Having had manual cars only for fifty years I wouldn't go back now - wife's S3 S Tronic saloon is g r e a t:yum:

Reactions: batch

Which Audi dealer was still selling your wife the manual s3 & what does FL mean

Worthing Audi. FL = facelift.

TX.

Just to add to this thread: The car I ordered last month is no longer available! If I went to order a petrol s-tronic now, it would have to be the quattro version! which starts at around £43k....good job I ordered when I did :) However, a manual front wheel drive petrol is still available to order.

True only S-Tronic for S3 or Quattro vehicles - I ordered a new S3 last week and brochure doesn't appear to have caught up with the configurator and the same with Folding Mirrors (Auto dimming only now) - Funnily enough they have just updated the pricelist for September 17 which does still have Manual and Folding Mirrors option but dealer couldn't find them on his system - Always had manuals but knew this time would come as RS3 S-Tronic only

I've driven S-Tronics before but the wife hadn't but she seemed ok although her words were I'll stick it in D and leave it alone, not messing with the flappy paddles etc - Fair enough

The car I ordered last month is no longer available!

Same here. Other options to disappear recently from the S Line configuration are:

Door inlays light design.
Extended upholstery pack.
S Line suspension.
B&O (have to buy the Comfort Pack to get B&O at £995).

I understand the need to reduce costs by deleting unpopular options, but getting rid of S Line suspension and B&O is extreme to say the least.

Reactions: richinsoton
Same here. Other options to disappear recently from the S Line configuration are:

Door inlays light design.
Extended upholstery pack.
S Line suspension.
B&O (have to buy the Comfort Pack to get B&O at £995).

I understand the need to reduce costs by deleting unpopular options, but getting rid of S Line suspension and B&O is extreme to say the least.

I think you can buy B & O on it's own but only on the S3 (this is already upgraded to Audi Sound System) - It looks like you can't go from the standard audio directly to B & O other than like you said the Comfort and Sound Pack - If I'm looking at it correctly that is - Bit bizarre though

Are Audi running down the parts bin & options knowing a new A3 / S3 platform is not that far away perhaps ?

Reactions: Daveotto
Officially no more Manual transmission for the FL Audi S3 tried factory ordering it yesterday dealer said no more, have to consider the s-tronic