1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

manual paddle question

ama Jun 3, 2019

1. ama

ama Member Audi A6 Audi Avant Owner Group S-line owners group

Hi All,

I have a 40tdi with the 7 speed box and just a question after a drive on the weekend, I've not had a chance to read through the manual yet but wondered if there was any reason why I couldn't manually click up to 7th gear when it was running in "efficiency" in 6th gear.

Ironically I could click down a gear at higher revs but it wouldn't allow me to click up to 7th. I was sitting on a flat stretch of motorway at 70 mph and it was running about 1850 rpm, it should have been sitting in 7th at 1300 rpm.

Any thoughts? Is there a lock which limits switching up using the paddles (or the gear lever) when in efficiency setting?

No big deal as when I went back to Auto it not only clicked up into 7th by itself I could also click up and down through the paddles without restriction (and I got better MPG too)

Look forward to hearing from anyone who has had a similar experience (or read the manual)

Cheers

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Advertisement

3. DaveW

DaveW Well-Known Member Team Floret Silver Audi A6 Audi Avant Owner Group S-line owners group

It does that on mine too. Maybe it takes an "I know best " approach and only allows manual upshifts where it deems suitable.
    Have you tried moving the gear selector to the left to engage "full" manual mode and give it a go?

ama likes this.
  4. ama

Hi Dave,

I suspect that may be the case but makes the manual override slight redundant if it won't allow you to over ride :)

I did try on the gear selector, but to be honest when I found auto (or any other mode) allowed me to select 7th when I wanted I stopped looking too hard. Was just annoying to have the paddles on the wheel but then need to play with the drive select.

Cheers

5. DaveW

DaveW Well-Known Member Team Floret Silver Audi A6 Audi Avant Owner Group S-line owners group

Page 111 in the manual states manual changes can be made as long as the revs are in permissible range. Maybe because drive select is in efficiency mode, you are more restricted.

ama likes this.
  6. ama

Hi Dave,

Thanks for that - as you say it may be to do with the efficiency mode but it seems a little odd as it certainly seemed more efficient to be running in 7th @ 1300 rather than 6th at 1850 given we were crusing on the flat and the engine was under no real load. It is certainly within the the permissible range for the car as other drive modes happily moved into 7th, but perhaps not permissible for efficiency.

Will try again on the next long run and see what happens.

Cheers