Manual gearbox stiff

hidnmine

Reaction score
Hi,
It's difficult selecting gears - as if the synchro isn't working - on my S4, especially when cold.
I don't think I have clutch drag, so first thing to do (I suppose) is to change the gearbox oil.
Is the manual box a "sealed for life" unit, like the auto, or is it scheduled maintenance.
What's the recommended oil, and how hard is it to change?

Thanks,
Andy

Hi,
It's difficult selecting gears - as if the synchro isn't working - on my S4, especially when cold.
I don't think I have clutch drag, so first thing to do (I suppose) is to change the gearbox oil.
Is the manual box a "sealed for life" unit, like the auto, or is it scheduled maintenance.
What's the recommended oil, and how hard is it to change?

Thanks,
Andy
I normally like a tight box! However I know what you mean as it can be hard sometimes to select first especially when cold. The box is sealed for life according to Audi but that's a load of ******** tbh. Yes you could leave it all its life but as the oil degrades over time it provides less and less protection so makes sense to change. I did mine last year not hard but a but fiddly on axle stands. The cross member has to be taken off to get to the 2 plugs, if I remember correctly

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk

Looking around I see that some people go for a lighter oil (not necessarily this gearbox). Any thoughts?

I was thinking of using the Fuchs. It says it meets the VAG G052911 spec'.
I just wondered if anyone has used a lighter oil (and if it helped)?

It's not approved as it would cost too much for a low volume product.

It's Fuchs recommendation .

G 052 911 can be either 75W-80 or 75W-90.

If I understand oil spec', the "75" refers to the viscosity of the oil when it's cold. Since the problem only happens when it's cold, I suppose either of these oils would give the same result..?

It's not as straightforward as that as there's always a viscosity range within a grade.

For gearbox oil, I'd just go to the dealership and buy 3 litres. For one change every 200.000 km, the cost isn't an issue. You get the best and correct oil, without having to guess.