Manual clutch issue

Roryjkeen

Reaction score
Hi Guys, after a little help/advice please ! I have a manual 2015 and I had the clutch slipping. I changed this for an uprated 4 paddle Sachs with a new flywheel and slave/release bearing. Changed gear box oil and bled clutch, all was well for a few short drives apart from a little noise in neutral which is normal on these ? Now it won't go into gear at all while running, start it up in gear and it's trying to pull away. Is this the slave or the clutch ? I've bled new fluid through it etc and it works ok when the cars cold but as soon as it warms up it gets gradually worse ? Is this a gearbox off again job ?
Thanks

Sounds like your clutch is dragging - the friction plate isn’t released from the fly wheel.

sticking slave is most likely the cause!
Was the spline shaft greased correctly?
The plates could be warped.

the upgraded sach kits require their specific slave, Did you fit theirs or an OEM part?

Reactions: Roryjkeen
Greased the spline and the slave is a new Sachs unit, all bought as a kit so hopefully it's all compatible. Thank you for your input

Sounds like your clutch is dragging - the friction plate isn’t released from the fly wheel.

sticking slave is most likely the cause!
Was the spline shaft greased correctly?
The plates could be warped.

the upgraded sach kits require their specific slave, Did you fit theirs or an OEM part?
Any idea on this ? The new slave is approx 3mm smaller than the original ? There's a plastic bit on it which isn't on the new Sachs part.

Attachments

• IMG_2620.JPG
    IMG_2620.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 101
I had the same with mine after I had a sachs fitted. It was gradual deterioration in the space of a few days rather than from the outset, i.e. the clutch bite point got lower and lower until it wouldn't disengage at all and I lost all the gears. Turned out the so called new slave cylinder had failed and had to be replaced. Been fine since. Yours sounds like it might be a faulty slave.

I had the same with mine after I had a sachs fitted. It was gradual deterioration in the space of a few days rather than from the outset, i.e. the clutch bite point got lower and lower until it wouldn't disengage at all and I lost all the gears. Turned out the so called new slave cylinder had failed and had to be replaced. Been fine since. Yours sounds like it might be a faulty slave.
Ah that's a bitch, I've just put it all back together again for the second time after cleaning and checking I didn't put the clutch the wrong way round . The slave feels no different to the original and moves freely, was yours moving ok after it was taken out ? Sounds exactly like my issue, i did about 30 miles or so and it started playing up. Well I've not got much else to do, so I'll see how quickly I can do it the third time if it does it again Thankyou

I dont know I didnt do the work, but I know they had to replace it.

I dont know I didnt do the work, but I know they had to replace it.
Ah ok, well I've put it all back together after a good clean and regressed of the spline and it feels better now and is slightly quieter so hopefully that'll do the job ! Thanks

Reactions: Damo S
fingers crossed that has sorted it :). Don't forget to run it in for a few weeks

I will try my best to be gentle on it, though I've just loaded a high torque map onto it so it may be difficult not to press on a bit :icon thumright: Thanks

The advice I had was to not boot it at all for a few hundred miles to let it bed in, then slowly start to up the power. I guess its a bit like running in new brake pads. The plate needs to be well bedded in before it will have maximum clamping ability.

:grin: It's going to be a painfull few weeks :racer: might tell the mrs to drive around town for a couple of days :icon thumright: