Manual/Auto mode

Mike.46

Reaction score
As we know in Efficiency/Auto/Comfort etc when you pull a paddle and the car swaps to maunal it will swap back to auto after a short spell, but, If you select 'sport' auto' with the central gear selector and then manual with a paddle it will stay in manual mode as long as you want :)

I did a 180 mile round trip today and played around with modes, as much as 'Efficiency' is an odd mode to have on an RS car I tried swapping it into 'Efficiency' when doing 70mph/cruise control/flat road to see if the mpg does increase, from 'Auto' to 'Efficiency' I couldnt detect any increase but going from either 'Individual' or 'Performance' to Efficiency seems to gain about 3-4 mpg and very repeatable as well, I imagine it switches to pure front wheel drive to achieve this. (all in 7th gear)

Averaged 38.5 mpg over 180miles with mixed Motorway/A road/Town stuff and more than a few hard accelerations out of roundabouts etc

Reactions: Daggerit
8V never had efficiency mode although the wifes S3 did. Strange to include it as you say.

TX.

As we know in Efficiency/Auto/Comfort etc when you pull a paddle and the car swaps to maunal it will swap back to auto after a short spell, but, If you select 'sport' auto' with the central gear selector and then manual with a paddle it will stay in manual mode as long as you want :)

I did a 180 mile round trip today and played around with modes, as much as 'Efficiency' is an odd mode to have on an RS car I tried swapping it into 'Efficiency' when doing 70mph/cruise control/flat road to see if the mpg does increase, from 'Auto' to 'Efficiency' I couldnt detect any increase but going from either 'Individual' or 'Performance' to Efficiency seems to gain about 3-4 mpg and very repeatable as well, I imagine it switches to pure front wheel drive to achieve this. (all in 7th gear)

Averaged 38.5 mpg over 180miles with mixed Motorway/A road/Town stuff and more than a few hard accelerations out of roundabouts etc
In my B9 S4 if I put it in Efficiency mode it would give a consistent 3-5mpg better consumption on my motorway commute. It was pretty easy to be consistent with the driving style as well as I'd just stick it on ACC for the whole trip.

There's no driveline to switch around on that car as it's all mechanical so I don't know everything that it did to help but I know that it would dumb down the throttle response and turn the A/C into Eco mode. Not sure what else was going on in the background, but it did help using that mode if you were just on a dual carriageway or motorway or something (vs Auto or Comfort).

Reactions: Mike.46
I've been wondering if the rear drive is "dropped" once you get going. Is this the case?

Reactions: LayZ_Pz
I've been wondering if the rear drive is "dropped" once you get going. Is this the case?
Definitely not in its entirety. I can feel it pushing me around corners at speed but I would imagine that if you're just driving at a constant speed it isn't doing anything at the rear and will just monitor various parameters to decide when and how much it should be contributing to drive.

Reactions: Mike.46 and LayZ_Pz