Manda's S5

I agree with @JG51 AUD here, glad you are OK @Meemo. Cars can be fixed ...

In the grand scheme of things, it is a minor damage and with your skills, a piece of cake to fix.

Reactions: Meemo
Deer this morning on the country road, jumped out the trees straight into the car.
True damage..
bumper isn't worth saving, us grille smashed at the bottom but I can fix that I recon with plastic welding.
Offside foglight unit snapped off.
Then just intercooler and radiator as a corner on it snapped.
Never touched above the crash bar so no damage to the bonnet or chassis, that corner took the brunt and mighty well I say for the speed.
Could be worse :)
Sounds like you were luckier than me. The deer ruined my bumper and both headlights, dented the bonnet and the offside wing. Although fortunately no rad damage. My deer came off a lot worse. How was yours?

That experience tends to dampen my enthusiasm when I drive home along my favourite de-restricted B-road, especially at night. I am constantly worried about deer. Also, as I found, if you see one deer but avoid it, don't relax because there there is one deer there is very likely to be another.

Reactions: V6_Man, Meemo and CHEZ
wow that is super unlucky @Dippy, what speed did you hit the deer at? was that your current s5?
I honestly am shocked mine was not worse, I put it down to where the deer made contact being the corner and low down, plus I honestly believe all the wrap on the headlights and body work helped cushion/absorb some of the hit.
i think a wee hoofie went through the lower grill which is why the intercooler took a hit and that cracked the radiator mount same corner, but didnt touch the AC rad or the crash bar. also creased the wing slightly on the inside lip leaving a bump visible on the edge outside, so going to have my first go at panel beating :)
Both rads are on order now and have also ordered the new rs5 bumper.
Probably be the weekend before I can start switching them out due to work.
might as well come back bigger and better aye :)

It was over 15 years ago in my B5 S4 so I can't remember too much detail. It was on a de-restricted B-road on my way to work in the early morning. I saw a deer at the roadside and so I slowed down, but then when I passed it I must have started accelerating again. That's when the second one emerged from the woods. I think I braked hard and didn't think I was going too fast when I hit it because I remember thinking that I got away with it. But when I stopped and looked at the car I realised how much damage was done. I guess its because they are heavy animals so they do damage even at low speeds.

It reminded me of when I worked in the middle east. I was advised that if when driving through the desert a camel ran into the road in front of me it would be best to accelerate - better chances of survival if the body lands behind the car than on top of it! Fortunately I never saw any camels near the road.

Damage doesn't look too bad in the grand scheme of things, as sometimes you see them flip over the car and damage bonnet and windscreen. My uncle hit one at 60mph in his Focus RS and that destroyed the front end and windscreen.

Also just noticed this post and that purple looks stunning, I couldn't find out who wrapped it? If they're local might go to them to get my chrome re-wrapped! As previous guy done an awful job and still chasing a refund.

It was over 15 years ago in my B5 S4 so I can't remember too much detail. It was on a de-restricted B-road on my way to work in the early morning. I saw a deer at the roadside and so I slowed down, but then when I passed it I must have started accelerating again. That's when the second one emerged from the woods. I think I braked hard and didn't think I was going too fast when I hit it because I remember thinking that I got away with it. But when I stopped and looked at the car I realised how much damage was done. I guess its because they are heavy animals so they do damage even at low speeds.

It reminded me of when I worked in the middle east. I was advised that if when driving through the desert a camel ran into the road in front of me it would be best to accelerate - better chances of survival if the body lands behind the car than on top of it! Fortunately I never saw any camels near the road.
Wow that is awful luck. haha no camels last I had saw :)

had a chance to calm down a little and read in properly, the ac condenser appears to be on flexi pipes, result! as can be unbolted from the radiator and put to the side, no need to get someone out to degass then.

Spoke to Mark at MDM who gave some tips (diamond), but also said that when the radiator is removed, it will have some of the gearbox oil in it, so will require a top, and whilst I do have full vcds to check temp and measure the gearbox oil, he is keen that I should have the work done by a garage (of course makes sense its an important part).
I reaaaaly want to do this myself (plus one boyfriend who thinks it would be silly for me not to do it myself), I have the parts I need all ordered now bar the fluids, the only off part will be the gear box top up, I am curious that if I very carefully collect the lost oil, and use that to top it back up till it gets to Mark (it is going straight to him after for the log book service) where he can futher check it.
My boyfriend does his own slush box and diff on the supra and kindly read up on that and is very confident he can do it, says its identicle steps to his excluding the VCDS measurements..

Trying to figure a way I can get the gear box checked after the work.. without moving the car.
I already know what you are going to say @Dippy lol

Damage doesn't look too bad in the grand scheme of things, as sometimes you see them flip over the car and damage bonnet and windscreen. My uncle hit one at 60mph in his Focus RS and that destroyed the front end and windscreen.

Also just noticed this post and that purple looks stunning, I couldn't find out who wrapped it? If they're local might go to them to get my chrome re-wrapped! As previous guy done an awful job and still chasing a refund.

Thank you :)
I went to VinylOne in burgess hill, by no means local to myself either, however I chose to go further as his work was so spot on. 4 hour round trip for me but I would say it was worth it for a full wrap.
https://www.instagram.com/vinylone.co.uk/

Reactions: Adam14
Wow that is awful luck. haha no camels last I had saw :)

had a chance to calm down a little and read in properly, the ac condenser appears to be on flexi pipes, result! as can be unbolted from the radiator and put to the side, no need to get someone out to degass then.

Spoke to Mark at MDM who gave some tips (diamond), but also said that when the radiator is removed, it will have some of the gearbox oil in it, so will require a top, and whilst I do have full vcds to check temp and measure the gearbox oil, he is keen that I should have the work done by a garage (of course makes sense its an important part).
I reaaaaly want to do this myself (plus one boyfriend who thinks it would be silly for me not to do it myself), I have the parts I need all ordered now bar the fluids, the only off part will be the gear box top up, I am curious that if I very carefully collect the lost oil, and use that to top it back up till it gets to Mark (it is going straight to him after for the log book service) where he can futher check it.
My boyfriend does his own slush box and diff on the supra and kindly read up on that and is very confident he can do it, says its identicle steps to his excluding the VCDS measurements..

Trying to figure a way I can get the gear box checked after the work.. without moving the car.
I already know what you are going to say @Dippy lol

Thank you :)
I went to VinylOne in burgess hill, by no means local to myself either, however I chose to go further as his work was so spot on. 4 hour round trip for me but I would say it was worth it for a full wrap.
https://www.instagram.com/vinylone.co.uk/
Thanks, similar distance for me. Will tie it in maybe when I see my friends in Brighton

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

I reaaaaly want to do this myself
Go for it. The enthusiasm of youth (relatively speaking) is to be treasured. :)

I used to love doing my own car work. I remember doing things like clutch replacement, uprating camshafts etc. on the Ford Capris I used to own (look it up on wikipedia ;) ). But now that I have the money its so much easier to let Mark do the work on my S5.

Last year we bought a Peugeot 107 for my 18 year old daughter. I had good intentions to work on it myself especially because they are simple and easy to work on. But the MOT is due next week and when faced with the choice of putting the time and effort into doing myself and paying a local dealer a few hundred to sort it...

Reactions: Audi Bairn
Go for it. The enthusiasm of youth (relatively speaking) is to be treasured. :)
Haha turn 30 next year, but you did say relatively :p

Know the capris as a friend years ago owned one before life and marriage.

Strange one, I spoke to parts at Audi to get a new rad mount incase one on that corner is shagged. And also asked for a litre of gearbox oil to top up, and looking at his pc he thought I would need clutch oil, not gear box as to him it appeared that the oil cooler was 'that side' of the gear box and it only takes 4 litres, not the 7 of the main gearbox... I asked where I top that side up and he didn't know (he was only telling me from what he could see on his pc and wasn't a tech).

Any one able to elaborate a little more ?

Things that might make me want to cry..
My car.

48518181692_c2f2b1d0c2_b.jpg

48518167706_d3fd544962_c.jpg

Not together yet, and definitely closer, but have reached that stage where it feels like it will never be fixed after spending 2 hours just trying the pop the hoses back onto the new radiator.. and only getting the 1 out of 3.. boyfriend got the first on but we just don't have the strength to do the final 2 in the awkward position they are behind the rad. must of spent 6 hours just taking the car apart and taking off the old one (those hoses ware just as hard to remove lol )

Tried a light coat of fairy, wd40 (as suggested by mdm) but they just wont click over the final retainer to let us drop in the metal pin...
Have called in a favour from a strong friend who will hopefully pop by in a lunch break this week but that isn't 100% guaranteed...

Once the rad hoses are on however.. it will just be reassembling the car and filling the coolant/checking for leaks left to do.
these are the offenders..
48518014006_7294380dbc_c.jpg

Also FYI the gear box runs oil through the left side of the radiator, but thankfully the hose inside is so small it barely holds 100ml.. we just topped it up via the return pipe.
all that we lost..
48518011906_5023c70f80_c.jpg

replaced the damaged rad mount and bushing, thankfully the plastic rad bracket (the huge frame that holds it all) survived so no need to replace.. they are £230 from Audi if it did need replacing... ouch
missing the right side bolt in the pic

48518004496_5270854d7a_c.jpg

48518015546_b534395229_c.jpg

Took the opportunity to spray the crash bar ready for the new grille.

48518174067_8e7877fc08_c.jpg

Got a new RS5 bumper so done a test fit and wrapped a teeny part of it, sanded it and just waiting to speak to the guy who wrapped the rest of my car for any tips as I am wrapping over primer and have limited wrap.. Xenonz due to copyright do not supply badged grilles so had to get the audi ringed grille seperately off of ebay.

48499151676_1fdf21080d_c.jpg

48518177242_b3e84a00e3_c.jpg

48502116176_941065f035_c.jpg

48518008346_01877abc3f_c.jpg

Quick test fit without the bottom bars or grilles.
it is from XenonzUK and it is a really nice snug fit actually! Bit more difficult to clip in than the standard one but just needs slightly more force is all.
I am impressed.
The left wing is slightly bent and I have since test fitting given it a good go with a piece of wood and a hammer so should be a bit better (side the deer hit).
48502217522_f72e8fa659_c.jpg

spot on..
48502047781_d4ffde0d68_c.jpg

left side as mentioned needs some work..
48502303632_e3400fddcb_c.jpg

I might hold a strong man competition.. you have to put the hoses on the rad... feel free to sign up here!
Prize is I might stop looking like a slapped *** and crack a smile :)

Reactions: V6_Man, Tej13, CHEZ and 1 other person
2 steps forward and one back..
Radiator is now on! our friends popped over and had a go, got one on with some force, but noted one of the connections on the rad was longer than the OE one by 4mm, so they trimmed it with the dremmel 1mm at a time and it finally fit with some more force (he is an engineer who works the machines that create car parts and tools and thankfully knew what he was on about, something about plastic expanding with a few mm tolerence from the cast ).

Pulled out the new Intercooler from it's box.. will be the final step before topping up and pressure testing...
got bent/crushed on delivery and the inner lines are damaged.. so close! new one sent with no quibble and should be here tomorrow.

Reactions: V6_Man, Tej13 and CHEZ
Progress..
The scariest/biggest thing I have wrapped to date.. I am so chuffed with it. 1 third left to go which I will do tonight.

Massive props to Jamie at Vinyl one who kindly took 20 minutes out of his day to talk me through it before hand as he is super far away and I can't get it to him.

48534371726_4241bc2da0_c.jpg

48534371181_3e3be04523_c.jpg

48534734577_45ee7fb525_c.jpg

He broke it into sections as it would last longer and has natural lines I can places the join in with using knifeless tape.. wont lie.. was really worried I would naff this up as I only have off cuts left from the whole wrap so finite tries.

These was the sections and order done, so that any join overlaps create a water seal.
  1. Bottom third of grill surround between the fogs.
  2. Fog inlays.
  3. The the rest!
48534371721_3927d8717d_c.jpg

48534519782_66d5df5de7_c.jpg

48534371981_86fd89ac5f_c.jpg

Fingers crossed for a clean run of the other side tonight!

Reactions: V6_Man, Adam14, Tej13 and 2 others
Progress..
The scariest/biggest thing I have wrapped to date.. I am so chuffed with it. 1 third left to go which I will do tonight.

Massive props to Jamie at Vinyl one who kindly took 20 minutes out of his day to talk me through it before hand as he is super far away and I can't get it to him.

48534371726_4241bc2da0_c.jpg

48534371181_3e3be04523_c.jpg

48534734577_45ee7fb525_c.jpg

He broke it into sections as it would last longer and has natural lines I can places the join in with using knifeless tape.. wont lie.. was really worried I would naff this up as I only have off cuts left from the whole wrap so finite tries.

These was the sections and order done, so that any join overlaps create a water seal.
  1. Bottom third of grill surround between the fogs.
  2. Fog inlays.
  3. The the rest!
48534371721_3927d8717d_c.jpg

48534519782_66d5df5de7_c.jpg

48534371981_86fd89ac5f_c.jpg

Fingers crossed for a clean run of the other side tonight!

Fair play to you! The 2nd photo looks cracking! :thumbs up:

wrapped :) Fog grilles are such a pain to fit in!

48542248387_6d00158134_c.jpg

48542100336_c876ed9016_c.jpg

Both sides wrapped, just the bottom silver bar to either paint or wrap.. ideally wrap but it is amazing the jump in price between 1.52 metres £6-9) to 2 metres £29+

And I have a whole collection of different rattle cans and either Audi Phantom black or ceramic black

Reactions: Tej13, CHEZ and V6_Man
Why not leave it silver?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Why not leave it silver?

Badges, grilles, rear diffuser, window surrounds and spoiler are black, it flows in better with the rest of the colour theme. The mirrors ares till silver but only as an oversight as they was meant to be done with the wrap :) they will likely be replaced for Carbon fibre since the boot spoiler is also carbon fibre.

And there is your answer. Carbon fibre

Reactions: Meemo and CHEZ
And there is your answer. Carbon fibre

Yeah, carbon would look the poodles packet..:wub:
Looking awesome @Meemo
Does the RS bumper not have any fog lights at all then?
Might have to check if there is a hydrodipper near with a decent size tank! is not an option I had thought of before your replies.
No it doesn't, comes with Fog light delete modules to plug into their place, given that I tinted them before to hide them I guess that is what I was going for lol

Reactions: CHEZ
****** hell Manda. Ive not looked at this thread for a couple of weeks and it seems alot has happened. So sorry to see your car damaged and just after you had it wrapped and were falling in love with it. But every cloud and all that. Rs5 conversion looks absolutely mint
Wheels also look awesome.
Just watch out for those deers lol

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

****** hell Manda. Ive not looked at this thread for a couple of weeks and it seems alot has happened. So sorry to see your car damaged and just after you had it wrapped and were falling in love with it. But every cloud and all that. Rs5 conversion looks absolutely mint
Wheels also look awesome.
Just watch out for those deers lol

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Well they do say, when it rains it pours! no exception.. same 2 weeks as the deer, I dropped a heat gun on both legs, broke my toe (it went black and purple, very pretty, made a smashing noise when it cracked in 2 lmao), got a nice friction burn down my back from a slide which is kinda funny.. then for some reason it was like everything minor thing went wrong, it has even become a running joke with friends, I wouldn't of been in path of said deer if I hadn't of had to go back to the tyre place a second time cos the first time they couldn't fit them where the wrong bolts had been sent with them, and after the tyres went on I couldnt get them in car... oops

I will invest in bubble wrap..
and maybe burn some sage for this bad ju ju

Reactions: Buxton2901
covered 75 miles since bleeding the coolant system and putting it all back together... so far so good!
fresh new rad and intercooler on, Air con rad we left in sittue hence it still has the coolant explosion mark on it, it didn't need changing and is still ice cold :)

48573620782_9fdefb14ea_c.jpg

Managed to transplant the S5 badge from the OE grille with a drill hole, antivibration pad wedged in, piece of coated bendy metal and a mini cable tie... bodge 101
48573469841_9301a57b9c_c.jpg

48573462401_276fce689c_c.jpg

Apologies I have no good pictures yet, was more concerned if it would make it but drove to a meet in pompey after it was ready to test it out...

Wheel/tyre specs:
20x10.5 et35.. with spacers (et30 front, et25 rear)
Michelin Ps4 275/30

48573465336_24f3e38bd3_c.jpg

48573614242_396ebe35bd_c.jpg

48573465536_679c455322_c.jpg

It's not finished yet though as I still need the wing sorted, I did bend it back with the use of a hammer and a piece of thick wood (broke through the vinyl slightly whilst doing this), but only enough to make it ok but I know it is slightly off still.

Any recommendations on a good paintless dent removal person near Winchester/in Hampshire? @Dippy ?

Reactions: RyanJonS4, CHEZ, Radford212 and 1 other person
Hay everyone.
Been ages since I posted in this thread it seems.
Nothing exciting happened..
My wrap is being replaced so you will no longer have to hear me crying about how much I hate the peeley wrap on it now lol
Should be complete early Feb so will upload some new pictures then.

Just so there is something for the thread, back in the summer I did shorten my plate holder and modified the mounting clips slightly so that I can easily remove when I am at a show or local meet (so rare these days).

49320825133_1e227627d9_c.jpg

Bit of fibre glass and paint
49321520292_1e62d9f563_c.jpg

49321304886_708e43581c_c.jpg

End result
49321528057_7d437aa62e_c.jpg

49320824708_5039f9ee0c_c.jpg

What colour are you going this time @Meemo ?
I kind of liked that flavour wrap even though you thought the finish was disappointing.
Or are you keeping us in suspenders and surprising us again?

What colour are you going this time @Meemo ?
I kind of liked that flavour wrap even though you thought the finish was disappointing.
Or are you keeping us in suspenders and surprising us again?

I love the idea of the self proclaimed 'grumpy Admins' donning some suspenders!
Seems this forum has sadly got very lifeless, hopefully will perk back up :)
But nah I don't really do 'reveals'.
Is going that new inozetek midnight purple. Jamie tried it on his beemer, but was not happy as it proclaims zero peel but it still has some, so he changed his mind for his demo car.
So I have dibsied the rest for the S5, but not enough to do my for shuts so they will stay the current purple! Kind of playing with the idea of asking for pink shuts or glitter eeeep

What is it with girls and glitter?
Lol
Unicorns also......
Anyway, can't wait to see the end result.
Think everyone is getting beemers these days and abandoning Audi and associated forums.
Traitors

Last edited:
Reactions: Meemo and Adam14
Change of plan, not going to stay purple.
Tried the Inozetek midnight purple which advertises as zero orange peel, beautiful colour, but for me and the guy wrapping, the hype is not real :S

49459637601_17493873a7_b.jpg

Because it is so glossy it does look fab just another foot back on camera, but for us it was no better than other products on the market.
So scrapped it after this one panel and a new wrap is inbound which I am actually excited for!
It will be satin and no where near purple..

new colour incoming!

Reactions: RyanJonS4
WARNING: You are about to get spammed with pictures...

got her back <3
49515129276_fe9335ce64_c.jpg

49514636963_9a153a3652_c.jpg

49515354637_dfffb6b952_c.jpg

49514637363_2ff2297275_c.jpg

49514637498_bc6e6518bd_c.jpg

49515377887_5399de4d44_c.jpg

49514637088_85f454f61a_c.jpg

Everything you see that is silver, he kindly left untouched for now whilst my wheels are still silver, and also so that I could decide what I am doing with them. The silver is not staying.

He also left off the black badge as it was the only one, so I have used the off cuts he gave me to colour code it, and will over the week, remove the silver supercharged one to black out and colour code too.
49515155376_c73a8b5358_c.jpg

Reactions: Simon, RS5 JON and V6_Man
Is all the silver going carbon

Is all the silver going carbon

That would only happen if it was genuine carbon, not going to wrap it carbon if it isn't the real deal.
Originally I wanted gloss black but Jamie recommended I hold out till i got the car back and decide after, especially as the wheels are still silver it is better to tie them in for now.
my 2 bad phone photoshops I used to help me decide. My Personal preference is to colour code them based on the below :)

49514843803_158c6f1edd_c.jpg

49515577467_bb48167c43_c.jpg

Reactions: RS5 JON and V6_Man
I fully understand what you mean about real carbon but why not just have those parts including the wheels hydro dipped

Reactions: Meemo and V6_Man
That would only happen if it was genuine carbon, not going to wrap it carbon if it isn't the real deal.
Originally I wanted gloss black but Jamie recommended I hold out till i got the car back and decide after, especially as the wheels are still silver it is better to tie them in for now.
my 2 bad phone photoshops I used to help me decide. My Personal preference is to colour code them based on the below :)

49514843803_158c6f1edd_c.jpg

49515577467_bb48167c43_c.jpg

I am liking the black alloys, badges and the lip @Meemo. Tbh, it compliments the wrap perfectly.

Reactions: RS5 JON and Meemo
Wow looks stunning! I'm actually in the process of looking to get my car wrapped, yours has definitely inspired me but not such a bold choice for me I don't think...will give the place you used a call!

Sent from my HD1913 using Tapatalk

@V6_Man Thank you, I like both but I definitely prefer the coded lip now I have seen a render, brings it closer to the ground colour wise which I rather like, I have just provisionally booked it in for a week from now for the finishing touches including new light tints and smoked ppf on the front lights.

@Adam14 it is a bold colour choice I give you that! I cannot recommend him enough, he may take longer than a big wrap shop with a big wrap team, but you get the quality from him so I would rather leave it with him for 2 weeks and get an immaculate job, then get it back in 4 days and potentially find rushed bits.

Reactions: CHEZ, Adam14 and V6_Man
I think it looks better with the silver but then I chose monsoon grey for my car so maybe my opinion is irrelevant.

How much does all this wrapping cost?

Reactions: CHEZ and Meemo
Wow, looking very erm minty lol.
Seriously though it's very special.

Like a bit of silver me though, but that's just me.
How are we doing on the close up orange peel effect this time @Meemo ?
Does it make the grade?
And are you happy with it?
I would be looks mega!
Also, he's done a cracking job on the door shuts it seems.

Looks :hubbahubba::hubbahubba::hubbahubba: @Meemo

I do like it with the black wheels etc. but it's your car. :thumbs up:

JG
I am a fan too, thinking with heavy green and blue flake to tie it in.

Wow, looking very erm minty lol.
Seriously though it's very special.

Like a bit of silver me though, but that's just me.
How are we doing on the close up orange peel effect this time @Meemo ?
Does it make the grade?
And are you happy with it?
I would be looks mega!
Also, he's done a cracking job on the door shuts it seems.
Thank you. It is such a bright colour, I don't think the pictures even show just how mad it is. Love it :)
Not a single bit of Orange peel, which is why I had to go satin/matte because I even thought the Inozetek purple was peeley... how Jamie didn't have a mental breakdown whilst we had a day 2 colour change, I do not know lol