Manda's S5

Meemo

Reaction score
HI :)
Been on the A4 B8 side of the forum a few years, just moved over to a 2016 S5 so looks like I abandoning ship. got her 4 days ago from the dealer.

This was the old a4, was stage 2 lots of love and parts put in.
29911657132_791e3666d0_b.jpg

29731237650_e9a7e724c1_b.jpg

Here is the new girl, havent really taken pictures as phone is being re[aired, but hard wired in the Front and rear Black Vue dash cams day after picking her up and took her to EMP Performance for a custom cat back exhaust.
39740064561_76e09966c7_b.jpg

They recomended Centre silencer replacement and no back boxes and to their credit it doesnt drone at 70!
howevever as incredible as it sounds (louder than the other halves catless mk4 supra on jap can), its too loud through the rest of the rev range for me to live with, cant talk to passengers or hear the radio lol so EMP are pricing me up the addition of some rear silencers to be added after I have bedded these in.
39707673342_b855522093_b.jpg

Fitted:
EMP Performance cat back exhaust (needs adjustment, tad loud) 4inch/102mm tips
Front and rear BlackVue dash cams on power magic pro (swapped straight out of the old car)

To Do
H and R OE sports springs (undecided 25mm and 35mm chasis drop)
Remove rear rings
Replace Gloss black front rings
Gloss black wrap the roof and rear diffuser
Blacked out v6T and S5 badges.. perhaps...

Few questions if you lovely people done mind :)
I notice a few of you have the black rings off of ebay, do you have a link for the one you fitted/ebay seller which fitted well on the standard grille and you rated?
HandR springs, any pictures of the drop on your S5 with either the 25mm or 35mm drops? this is to be used daily so Prob will be the 25mm as the arch gap is too much on the eyes but keen to see the difference if possible.
Thank you

Reactions: Roadrunner146, SPIKE_, xpoweruk and 1 other person
Really rate these guys work.
Wish this wasnt the daily else I would keep the outrageous v6 sound in an instant lol
They are making a little adjustment to it next month which they are happy will give me the result I want to reduce the sound in the cabin :D

In the mean time I am kind of enjoying the mad tune of a v6 with no back boxes <3

39707673142_157d349f3c_b.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: NevMan and xpoweruk
So it's just the one middle box at the moment ?
And the cats :)..
he said he routed this differently to others they had done and that's succesffuly got rid of the 70 drone. Because its too loud inside (for me personally) everywhere in the rev range outside of 1500-1900 though he says they are going to do something with it that they have done on 2 other s5 v6's for which the owners was very happy about, not sure if this means more silencers or redoing some of the pipe work but they are confident, so I more than happy to let them do their thing.

Welcome to the 5 section Manda.

Like you I had an A4 b8 prior to my A5 and now S5, you won't regret the move.

Enjoy.

JG

Reactions: Meemo
Very nice! Is that Daytona Grey? I was torn between Sepang and Daytona when I ordered mine, but settled on Sepang in the end...when I see Daytona I did wish I went with that instead...!

I would probably look at a stage 1 remap from MRC if I was you. The gains are pretty massive and I've been in a Stage 2 S5 and it's insane. Have a look at arad and Dippy's threads for more details!

As for the diffuser, I would perhaps look at painting it gloss black instead? I did this and was very happy with the finish and finished off the Black Edition nicely.

38847801995_3949a69615_b.jpg

I just got rid of the side V6T badges...it's a supercharged V6, not turbo!

Reactions: RS4B5, RS5 JON and Meemo
Welcome to the 5 section Manda.

Like you I had an A4 b8 prior to my A5 and now S5, you won't regret the move.

Enjoy.

JG
A4 fwend :) I am sure I won't, snapped this one up with only 17k on the clock and 1 owner, nice low miles again, sold the a4 on 131k and repairs was starting to get pricey when it added up!

Black one looks awesome!

TX.
Thank you, this one is likely heading a similar route but I won't be doing air again, no faults or leaks in the 4 years it was fitted and did love it, but it is always in your mind that you are stuffed if it goes on a motorway or far from home.

Very nice! Is that Daytona Grey? I was torn between Sepang and Daytona when I ordered mine, but settled on Sepang in the end...when I see Daytona I did wish I went with that instead...!

I would probably look at a stage 1 remap from MRC if I was you. The gains are pretty massive and I've been in a Stage 2 S5 and it's insane. Have a look at arad and Dippy's threads for more details!

As for the diffuser, I would perhaps look at painting it gloss black instead? I did this and was very happy with the finish and finished off the Black Edition nicely.

38847801995_3949a69615_b.jpg

I just got rid of the side V6T badges...it's a supercharged V6, not turbo!

I am pretty sure it is Daytona grey, didn't actually check as I thought it was from looking at the colour in person, how bad am I, will need to confirm from paint code in the boot :) I was between the 2 as well, but was a big price jump between this and a similar Miles and age in the blue, looks like we will both look at the others in 'what if' !

Thanks, I did have a look and think it will be straight to stage 2. Going to drive her as is until I get bored though before Any tuning, is dippys APR?

If the wrap doesn't come up we'll I will paint, but find wrap has less down time drying, and can wrap in situ . Looks ace on the blue

Reactions: RS5 JON and DrEskimo
Daytona is darker than monsoon - sometimes its difficult to tell the difference depending on lighting conditions.

Nice work on the old A4, and I'm sure you'll love the new S5. Congrats and enjoy - I'll stay tuned to developments on it!

Hey! Welcome to the club:)
I'm also used to drive a4 prior the upgrade for s5 sportback. Mines Lava Grey
20180116 190536
and Im in love with it. My mate recommended EMP as all his car exhausts done by them abd I know its tailor made. Did not have a chance yet to pop in for a quote so maybe youll save me a trip by answering roughly huw £££ for the s5? By-the way we all need to meet to share the experience and for fun. Because ive got so many questions lol:D

Really love the other greys, lava and Daytona much darker <3
Emp so far charged 999 for cat back, but I am going back for adjustments and I guess the price will vary depending on how many boxes you want in line etc.. but all covered for life. They did the a4 as well but that was just mid back, definitely recommend them. they already told me the v6s like ours are difficult to remove drone etc on whilst getting more sound and they have done everyone's differently trying to find the right set up, but as soon as then they Found the right method on mine, you can ask for the same.. think of me as a guineepig before you book :)

despite the rain and drizzle all weekend, managed to get a few little fiddly bits out of the way.
Before
39963569081_3f323d27e7_c.jpg

Private plates on with shortened back (apologies for the rubbish picture.. need to get better pictures really.)
39963556381_d92be2e265_c.jpg

28184321039_b3f29ca771_c.jpg

39932183152_a479137ab4_c.jpg

Purple strip on the splitter.. felt wrong not to have it again, is real subtle.
I have removed the badge so I could accurately measure it up and have ordered a slanted tab 273x95 gloss black badge off of ebay, fingers crossed it fits. so for now no rings...
39253576524_b694289489_c.jpg

28184259829_3f91493532_c.jpg

25092804447_5e3a5c9cc3_c.jpg

Removed the V6T badges in favour of some carbon supercharged badges seeing as it isn't a turbo, and the T is a little misleading.
25092793887_2962a3abe7_c.jpg

26091263728_d89c4d838d_c.jpg

28184222009_86db27034d_c.jpg

28184210719_6a0f8fc245_c.jpg

Reactions: V6 Quatt, Radford212, RS5 JON and 1 other person
273x95 is the closest fit on Ebay for te gloss black badges.
On it looks like it needs to be 1mm taller if you look close up, but it is not noticeable until you inspect real close, sadly there is no x96 avail so 95 works just fine, see pics below that show the close up.
39968279722_6a2bfd0df7_b.jpg

39101910905_b54d176062_b.jpg

28220810579_1dee08a5b4_b.jpg

Cold start with the EMP Performance cat back exhaust, RPM @1400 no revving :)

Will get warm engine video over the weekend and fly by as I am curious myself to know how it sounds outside!

Reactions: RS5 JON
Sounds good Manda, looking forward to hearing this further, drive by etc.

JG

Reactions: Jakes2514
Warm start and only light rev as I like my neighbours :)
only 7 days till they quieten it down a bit as is not the most quiet system from inside the car

All ordered and going on next week :yahoo:

• Bilstein B8 Shortened shocks (30-40mm dropped cars)
  • H&R Sport Springs (35mm drop on standard A5)
  • 4 x 20mm H&R spacers

eeeeeppppppp!!

Warm start and only light rev as I like my neighbours :)
only 7 days till they quieten it down a bit as is not the most quiet system from inside the car

I think that sounds fine the way it is, but if it's to loud when driving, I see your point in getting it a bit quieter.

JG

I think that sounds fine the way it is, but if it's to loud when driving, I see your point in getting it a bit quieter.

JG
Sounds great outside the car, and I am almost used to the boomin inside personally (no amount of metalica, slipknot or bass will cover it), but I have had 2 passengers in the car since, both commented it's too boomy inside, and one of those drives jap cars and all with jap cans and screamer pipes lol he said he wouldnt want it like that personally, that says something!
I dont know what they are changing, not being charged for more silencers so dont think it's getting more, and EMP have been really good, said 'they are goIng to try something that has worked on some other cars with the v6'... I have left it at that as the suspense of what they are doing makes it more interesting haha

Sounds great outside the car, and I am almost used to the boomin inside personally (no amount of metalica, slipknot or bass will cover it), but I have had 2 passengers in the car since, both commented it's too boomy inside, and one of those drives jap cars and all with jap cans and screamer pipes lol he said he wouldnt want it like that personally, that says something!
I dont know what they are changing, not being charged for more silencers so dont think it's getting more, and EMP have been really good, said 'they are goIng to try something that has worked on some other cars with the v6'... I have left it at that as the suspense of what they are doing makes it more interesting haha

It sounds quite similar to my Awe Exhaust on start up & pre heat, but it's not loud when normal driving, it is a different case when in Sport or on the paddles though and giving it some beans. That reminds me, I must get a video done.........

If someone with a jap car is saying it's to loud, it must be hell of a loud, some of the ones around my way could shatter windows!

It'll be interesting to see what EMP do to the exhaust to make it quieter without adding anymore boxes.

Good taste in music by the way. :rock:

JG

It sounds quite similar to my Awe Exhaust on start up & pre heat, but it's not loud when normal driving, it is a different case when in Sport or on the paddles though and giving it some beans. That reminds me, I must get a video done.........

If someone with a jap car is saying it's to loud, it must be hell of a loud, some of the ones around my way could shatter windows!

It'll be interesting to see what EMP do to the exhaust to make it quieter without adding anymore boxes.

Good taste in music by the way. :rock:

JG

Haha That's the strange thing, same person also said it sounds really nice and burbly outside when i drive slowly about, the becomes really droney and loses the burble when I start to accelerate a bit more.. but also said its much quieter from outside than inside! haha I will feedback all this so EMP can do their magic :)

That’s a lovely looking motor! I personally am not a fan of the cream leather in the middle, that however is probably down to the fact that I’d be terrified of it getting dirty and not being able to clean it. Have you treated them with anything to keep them clean?

Very nice S5, when i was looking for mine i wanted one in lava grey but it doesn't appear to bè a popular colour, daytona grey was my next option but again i could find an S5 in that colour with the options i wanted so it had to be black.

That’s a lovely looking motor! I personally am not a fan of the cream leather in the middle, that however is probably down to the fact that I’d be terrified of it getting dirty and not being able to clean it. Have you treated them with anything to keep them clean?
Funnily enough the seats was my deal breaker, I was looking at 3 s5's, 1 black with black seats, a white with the seats but it was 3 years older and 35k on, loved the black and white more outside, but the grey but had the seats. LOVE the two tone so had to be the grey as was best all rounder :)

Manda that s a sweeeeet motor...
Thanks mr :)

Very nice S5, when i was looking for mine i wanted one in lava grey but it doesn't appear to bè a popular colour, daytona grey was my next option but again i could find an S5 in that colour with the options i wanted so it had to be black.

When picking from the 3 s5's, one black, white and the grey, in my head I had decided i can change the colour outside any time at Monster wraps, already eyeing Arlons Amethyst, so went for the lowest miles, newest built and one with my seats I really wanted :)

For any one wiring in a black magic pro for the Black Vue Dash cams, below are the fuses you can use in the S5 2013 - 2015 b8.5, I had a few ask on messages so here it is below.

I have used 5 amps and matched that fuses in the spur so it is 2 x 5amp fuses each side. The black Vue does not use more than 3amps so 5 is plenty enough and I would not put a higher rated fuse there. Out of habbit I prefer to match fuses in the spurs hence 2 x 5amps, and I have been told in the past this is best practice, but could not tell you why as I do not know :)

There is a black bolt in the back by the fuse panels, this is a good earth, takes a 10mm long reach fitment to loosen (or 10mm spanner)
I will get some pictures later, I did not have my phone to hand at the time.

Passenger side (RHD UK) for the Permanent live - Yellow (Batt+)
39783806394_70d9d5965b_b.jpg

Driver side (RHD UK) for the Ignition Red - Red (Acc+)
39783806414_8f23c168c1_o.png

39783806434_e3ca7c9fab_b.jpg

So you used both fuse panels? That just seems a bit inconvenient to me. Personally I wouldn't want to tap into an airbag circuit because it is part of a safety system, not only because of attitude towards safety, but for legal reasons too. FYI I used A7 (diagnostics) on the passenger side for the ACC connection.

BTW fuses are sized to protect the wiring from overheating in the event of a fault. It is also necessary to consider the fuse characteristics because they don't instantly blow at that current. So if you decided to use 5A fuses to protect the dashcam wiring just because you tapped into a circuit already protected by 5A fuses then sorry but that is illogical. Likely the dashcam wiring can take a reasonable fault current but it would be safest to check. If there is an in-line fuseholder then you can check what rating that is. Most dashcams are only a few watts so take less than half an amp. I'd recommend reducing those fuse ratings to no more than 3A, but lower if you can get smaller rated fuses.

Reactions: DrEskimo
So you used both fuse panels? That just seems a bit inconvenient to me. Personally I wouldn't want to tap into an airbag circuit because it is part of a safety system, not only because of attitude towards safety, but for legal reasons too. FYI I used A7 (diagnostics) on the passenger side for the ACC connection.

BTW fuses are sized to protect the wiring from overheating in the event of a fault. It is also necessary to consider the fuse characteristics because they don't instantly blow at that current. So if you decided to use 5A fuses to protect the dashcam wiring just because you tapped into a circuit already protected by 5A fuses then sorry but that is illogical. Likely the dashcam wiring can take a reasonable fault current but it would be safest to check. If there is an in-line fuseholder then you can check what rating that is. Most dashcams are only a few watts so take less than half an amp. I'd recommend reducing those fuse ratings to no more than 3A, but lower if you can get smaller rated fuses.

I couldn't find a perm live on the right side which wasn't high amp or something i didnt want to tap in to, so had to use the left by extending that wire as things on that side i was not too concerned about, on my old set up in the A4 I used the same side for both but I didnt like the choice of fuse functions which seemed important, this is why the live is the other side. I wanted the power pro on the drivers side hence why i have done it that way but wouldnt stretch, of course you can do it which ever way you want.
can I use a 3 amp on a spur with a 5amp already, I only havent because I have been told other wise?

Oh and wanted the power pro my side ideally as I am on the wee side and cant reach too well accross to the passenger side, 5ft girl got short arms :)
it's all in nice and neatly though, wish the power pro had longer wires though to save the one I had to extend.
So if I can put a 3amp in with the other rated fuse on the same spur, let me know please @Dippy ! then I will swap to the 3amps after work today and choose another semi live fuse, as you are prob right on the air bags, i just liked the low amp and that it was dead with the car off.

I just checked the Blackvue website and the DR750S-2CH draws max 4.2W, so at 12V that's 0.35A.
But the only hardwiring cable I could find is the one below - which doesn't show an ACC wire.
hard-wiring-power-cable.jpg

Although this one has an in-line fuse holder which is going to protect the cable.

The rules on current all come down to what temperature the insulation can handle in its installation environment, so there are no absolutes. But wires such as the red one in the picture are intended for around the 5A and less range. So I'm not suggesting that your installation is unsafe, just that since your dashcam draws less than 0.5A, ideally your wiring should be protected by 1A, 2A or 3A fuses.

I'd be interested to know the rationale of whomever advised you to stick with 5A.

I was just told that fuse spurs should have matching fuses, but is this true? I honestly cant remember what the explanation is.
Because i would prefer to have a 3amp for the dashcam and 5amp on the existing car fuse, can i have both in the same spur (a 5 and a 3). Any ideas?

Have you used an add-a-fuse type adaptor like the one below? If so you simply put the fuse you took off the fuse panel when you inserted the adaptor into the back slot. This will then return that circuit effectively back to what it was before. Then you need to add your new fuse into the front slot, and this should be sized to protect the lowest gauge wire between the adaptor and the load, or another protection device such as a fuse. I believe the 5A fuses should be yellow, and will now be against other fuses on the panel. A 3A fuse is purple I believe and this would be the one in front.

The only reason I can think of to "match" a fuse is when you have to replace a blown fuse and want the replacement to have the same protection characteristic. In all other cases the fuse needs to be chosen according to the circumstances.

BTW - Just to give you confidence that I'm not bullshitting, I did a degree in electrical and electronic engineering back when they were free, and I used to be a chartered electrical engineer until I decided it wasn't worth the money I'd need to pay to renew the certification.