make my a3 tdi handle ??

welshd1k

Reaction score
I thoght it was just tyres but I assume not just put new rubber on her as she was sat on filthy cheap tyres so put some general something or others on 95 a corner . And we'll I'm still dissapointed with the handling of I'm honest . My last car a 07 skoda superb bog standard Tdi 100 handled better and seemed to hold the road better at speed in the twisties yes it was more boaty but it never slid out on me on a certain length of road I drive daily .
Yes the a3 is faster but the handling shocks me in a straight line and some slight bends she feels glued but in tighter stuff just feels naff ? Is this just me or ?

How should I go about getting her to feel better ? Lower it ? Nee bushes ? Anti roll bars ?.

Any ideas btw she is a 04 Tdi 140.on 18" with 225. 45 rubber

given the fact you don't even know what tyres you've just put on is probably the beginning of your problems. New tyres need to be worn in anyway, if you've worn them in and you still have problems then maybe they're just cheap tyres again. A good set of 18" boots aint cheap. Also depending on the spec of the car you might have a suspension set up designed for comfort as opposed to handling. My car has an s-line set up and is bumpy as a mother. Aside from the lack of steering feel i've never had an issue

Good tyres
Check suspension & bushes, replace/ upgrade anything worn
Full 4 wheel alignment
Upgrade rear ARB
Whiteline Anti lift kit

Done

tyres are general alitmax uhp's ist a tdi 140 sport . so im guessing should be stiff ish ?

thinking about poly bushing the front and the anti lift kit /

Tyres are so/so, but nothing to write home about. Rear ARB will make biggest difference along with WALK.

Can the rear arb from the Mk5 golf R32 be used on the A3 like the old mk4 one could on the 8L?

Somthing rings a bell that this is possible

Reactions: Westy
So Sharan is the thickest, suppose it carries greatest weight and higher centre of gravity.

Think the real question is... daily drive + sliding = :uhm:

Good tyres
Check suspension & bushes, replace/ upgrade anything worn
Full 4 wheel alignment
Upgrade rear ARB
Whiteline Anti lift kit

Done

Pretty much this. Although I would upgrade rather than replace suspension. Would probably go for lowering springs and a good set of dampers (like Bilstein B8s). Coilovers would probably be overkill in this.

Also dont forget to make sure your tyre pressures are correct as this is very important.

Reactions: c_w
The poor damping makes the car feel out of control more than anything else IMO. S-Line springs with B8 damper would be a nice road setup. Finished off with uprated anti roll bars.