AlS3BE

Reaction score
Upload 2019 7 5 19 16 48

This is the most I’ve paid for road tax in probably over 10 years :wink:

Reactions: NevMan
Too cheap that. Try 500 quid a year

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Reactions: Bells, MikeParkin, JohnM100 and 1 other person
Blimey - that’s cheap. An extra £300? is it for list prices over £40k. My S3 is also £145 and is the cheapest I’ve paid for years !!

Reactions: AlS3BE
Blimey - that’s cheap. An extra £300? is it for list prices over £40k. My S3 is also £145 and is the cheapest I’ve paid for years !!

Deliberately kept it under £40k. Said that to the dealer but not sure if they did a bit of jiggery pokery to keep it under £40k.

Coming from a raft of diesels paying anything from zero to about £100 from about 2007 onwards this one is a shock to the system.

Try £450, that luxury tax is a bitch but don't regret getting the car I have

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Reactions: Bells and AlS3BE
Cheaper to tax my rs3 than it was to tax my megane rs 250.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Deliberately kept it under £40k. Said that to the dealer but not sure if they did a bit of jiggery pokery to keep it under £40k.
No jiggery pokery.....you cant cheat the system on this unfortunately - its either over the £40k threshold or it isn't.
The current S3 Saloon Black Edition is £20 under, but the car I'm potentially looking at next - Mercedes AMG CLA 35 Premium is £50 over....so could be a deal breaker for me.

Reactions: Audi Bairn
No jiggery pokery.....you cant cheat the system on this unfortunately - its either over the £40k threshold or it isn't.
The current S3 Saloon Black Edition is £20 under, but the car I'm potentially looking at next - Mercedes AMG CLA 35 Premium is £50 over....so could be a deal breaker for me.
No offence, I know it's all subjective, but you wouldn't get the car you'd want for the sake of an extra £310? I'm not saying I enjoy spending more on tax (who does lol).

Reactions: Chris.D and NevMan
No offence, I know it's all subjective, but you wouldn't get the car you'd want for the sake of an extra £310?
It would cost me £465 to tax which will probably have risen £15 by the time the car is a year old. This is a serious amount of money....much more than what I pay for insurance, so yes I would need to seriously think about Adam. :(

Reactions: Adam14
But the premium is better spec’d and probably justifies the the higher cost. When the next s3 is released it’s bound to be a tax buster.

But the premium is better spec’d and probably justifies the the higher cost. When the next s3 is released it’s bound to be a tax buster.
There are 3 models - entry level, Premium and Premium Plus.
The entry level is £39k odds so escapes the higher tax rate, while the Premium Plus is around £42k so no arguments there.
The problem is that the Premium spec is a mere £50 above the threshold, but would need to be bought over the entry level because that model has the smaller and inferior instrument display.
It would be a very hard pill to swallow for the sake of only £50 which ends up costing an additional £320+ when it comes time to tax it.
If Mercedes had given it some thought they could simply have priced the Premium model £50 less OTR which would have been nothing to them, but obviously a lot to potential buyers and could end up costing them sales.

P.S. The next S3 will be well under £40k unless loads of options are specified. The Saloon on the other hand is around 2 grand more basic so probably not be so lucky.

Last edited:
It would cost me £465 to tax which will probably have risen £15 by the time the car is a year old. This is a serious amount of money....much more than what I pay for insurance, so yes I would need to seriously think about Adam. :(
Fair enough mate! Didn't mean to come across as having a go at you mate Cars can already be expensive enough!

Reactions: Snake Pliskin and Ron240
No offence, I know it's all subjective, but you wouldn't get the car you'd want for the sake of an extra £310? I'm not saying I enjoy spending more on tax (who does lol).

I agree with this ^^.
We can moan all we want about the rip off road tax which is what it is.

My last car (Q5) was about £1k over bit was a pretty standard (apart from folding mirrors and LED lighting) S Line.

So this time with the M40i I am about £15k over

Reactions: Audi Bairn, Chris.D, Ron240 and 1 other person
We can moan all we want about the rip off road tax which is what it is.

My last car (Q5) was about £1k over bit was a pretty standard

So this time with the M40i I am about £15k over
To be £1k over is entirely fair enough as far as I'm concerned......but to be only £50 over on the basic price with the launch of a brand new model is hard to accept.
This is the point I was making :)

Last edited:
Reactions: NevMan and Snake Pliskin
There are 3 models - entry level, Premium and Premium Plus.
The entry level is £39k odds so escapes the higher tax rate, while the Premium Plus is around £42k so no arguments there.
The problem is that the Premium spec is a mere £50 above the threshold, but would need to be bought over the entry level because that model has the smaller and inferior instrument display.
It would be a very hard pill to swallow for the sake of only £50 which ends up costing an additional £320+ when it comes time to tax it.
If Mercedes had given it some thought they could simply have priced the Premium model £50 less OTR which would have been nothing to them, but obviously a lot to potential buyers and could end up costing them sales.

P.S. The next S3 will be well under £40k unless loads of options are specified. The Saloon on the other hand is around 2 grand more basic so probably not be so lucky.

Yep completely get what you are saying. Be interesting if it is well under £40k, it doesn’t take much to get them there now.

Really like the look the new 35/45’s, I know the interior isn’t for everyone but I like that the cars as a whole stand out, look a bit more specula.
Get the CLA ;-)

Reactions: Snake Pliskin and Ron240
:wtf:That's crazy

I’ve just looked on Parker’s and it claims £165/£300 for both but I’m 100% sure I didn’t pay £300 for the Audi’s tax. Unless tax has gone up since October 2018?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

100% with you there mate, 5 x £320 = £1,600 extra for potential a £50 option. As you say, it's your insurance paid!

PS: Better not say that last bit to my 23 year old nephew, he's just paid £2,480 for a years insurance on a 1.4 Corsa :wtf:

Reactions: NevMan, OCDaveS4, Snake Pliskin and 1 other person
I’m also in the camp that I would sooner keep the car below £40k & lose an extra or two than pay an extra £300 per year in tax.

I only pay £280 per year road tax for my RS3 as I bought before the ludicrous £40k threshold came in.

Reactions: Audi Bairn, NevMan and Ron240
To be £1k over is entirely fair enough as far as I'm concerned......but to be only £50 over on the basic price with the launch of a brand new model is hard to accept.
This is the point I was making :)

Fair enough mate, I should have added the Q5 Sline was only a few hundred over stock. More now with latest pricing, but these manufacturers are idiots as we all know

Reactions: Audi Bairn and Ron240
And never mind the £1200+ or whatever it costs OTR for 1st registration. Must be going into the pot hole repair fund....Not!

£30 a year for my 250ps 400Nm A4, £110 @a year cheaper than our 1.0l EcoBoost fiesta...

Zero tax on my a3 sportback......one of the reasons I got it...... Fed up paying road tax to drive on poorly maintained roads these days.

Its meant to be an emissions tax these days not a road tax, which makes me wonder what the hell the value of the car has to do with it.

But still, one of the reasons I went for the S3 rather than an older RS5

Reactions: AlS3BE and Ron240
Its meant to be an emissions tax these days not a road tax, which makes me wonder what the hell the value of the car has to do with it.
Exactly.....it has nothing whatsoever to do with it. :rage:
All it does is punish people who want to spend a bit more to get a nicer car. Our government probably figure we can afford to pay an extra £320 for absolutely nothing so it's a nice little earner for them.
I already think the £40k threshold is too low, but with ever rising prices more and more cars will fall into this rip off tax bracket so it will need to change sooner or later.
Personally I think it should have been set at £50k.

Try £450, that luxury tax is a bitch but don't regret getting the car I have

Sorry to disappoint it’s £465 now after the annual increase :cry:

I wish mine was that cheap, mine is £575 a year for a s8 5.2 litre v10!
If anything mine drinks more fuel so they get tax off me that way, I should pay less road tax

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Scotty75 and NevMan
Exactly.....it has nothing whatsoever to do with it. :rage:
All it does is punish people who want to spend a bit more to get a nicer car. Our government probably figure we can afford to pay an extra £320 for absolutely nothing so it's a nice little earner for them.
I already think the £40k threshold is too low, but with ever rising prices more and more cars will fall into this rip off tax bracket so it will need to change sooner or later.
Personally I think it should have been set at £50k.

Sorry, but you can get a very nice car for less than £40K. Why raise it to £50K?
You know the road tax rules and fees when you buy the car so have no excuse to complain after the event.

Colin

Sorry, but you can get a very nice car for less than £40K. Why raise it to £50K?

Colin
With whe majority of top trim level (not just S/RS) cars it’s now easily exceed the 40k threshold not just with Audi’s, the fact it includes options too makes it very easy to go over. It’s ridiculous that someone who purchases a 150k car pays the same ‘additional’ road tax as someone that’s gone over the threshold by just 1p :tearsofjoy:

Just another money making scheme by the government, roads are awful near me I’m not sure where my additional road tax is going...

Reactions: Ron240, Adam14 and Kayobong
You know the road tax rules and fees when you buy the car so have no excuse to complain after the event.
The road tax(sorry VED) is £145 on my S3 so I am not complaining after the event - I am complaining before I inevitably fall victim to it. ;)

Reactions: Scotty75, Bells and AlS3BE

Colin

But the same premium applies to a 41k car as a 70k Tesla or a 250k+ car. If the govt are going down that path then tier it as they do emissions.

But the same premium applies to a 41k car as a 70k Tesla or a 250k+ car. If the govt are going down that path then tier it as they do emissions.

I totally agree with tiering, but I still believe that for £40K you can get a lot of car and it's a fair point to start at.

Colin