Major Oil Consumption on 09 A4 2.0T

AjM

Living in Blissful Ignorance
Reaction score
5ltrs in 1300 miles, not burning it that I can tell, and no leaks anywhere I can see. Any thoughts?

It is known the 2.0T does use allot of oil but this seems far to much especially when the car is over 4 years old and fully run in and not brand new. How do you know its not burning the oil ? Somebody soon will come up with suggestions on what to do soon as i am not too sure myself.

Only that I can't see any blue smoke...

I have a client whose got a B8 2009/10 & he is using a fair bit aswell, its going into audi I believe at some point to have the piston rings replaced & maybe other bits to try & resolve, audi are doing goodwill, which is a sidestepping admission of known issues, so maybe an idea to wait to see what his results are before acting, I'll ask him to sign up here to report.

That would be great, thanks. I have the car booked in 23rd Sept so hopefully know something before then.

Audi UK admitted to me that they knew there was a fault with the 2.0TFSI units in that they use ALOT of oil.

That would be great, thanks. I have the car booked in 23rd Sept so hopefully know something before then.

Audi UK admitted to me that they knew there was a fault with the 2.0TFSI units in that they use ALOT of oil.

Yep. When Audi looked at my car the technician said there had been a lot of cases where 2.0T's were using excessive amounts of oil.

Check out Audizine.com, b8. There is a sticky on this subject. The 2.0 FSTI has a known oil consumption issue. The information on the site could help in getting Audi to step up and do whats right. They replaced my pistons & rings and now the engine does not use any oil between services. Good Luck.

Reactions: ScottishA4B9
It seems to effect all model years including the latest models, from what some people have said on here. You might be lucky though and not have a problem.

I have spoken to Audi and it seems this is a problem with Valves and or Pistons as someone has put above, and is not a cheap fix. However, Audi said providing car has full Audi history and no modifications they will pay for the cost of all parts. I am lucky in that my warranty is paying for labour so should not cost me a penny. However the test is painful, you have to go to Audi, they remove the oil, weight it, and then put it back in and fit a crank case cooler and then you have to drive 620 miles, then return. This tells them which of 3 potential things needs fixing. 3!! Very poor if it has 3 different ways to loose 5 ltrs of oil in 1300 miles! Will update how I get on, but not going in for 2 weeks!

This is the standard procedure. One they find that you have excessive oil consumption if will take approximately one week for the engine to be rebuilt. On the good side, you will get the car back with a new motor. It's a pain but worth the effort. My motor uses less than a liter between factory oil changes.

I have spoken to Audi and it seems this is a problem with Valves and or Pistons as someone has put above, and is not a cheap fix. However, Audi said providing car has full Audi history and no modifications they will pay for the cost of all parts. I am lucky in that my warranty is paying for labour so should not cost me a penny. However the test is painful, you have to go to Audi, they remove the oil, weight it, and then put it back in and fit a crank case cooler and then you have to drive 620 miles, then return. This tells them which of 3 potential things needs fixing. 3!! Very poor if it has 3 different ways to loose 5 ltrs of oil in 1300 miles! Will update how I get on, but not going in for 2 weeks!
Yeah that's right. It is a pain if you have to go through all the different tests like I had too.

I have to admit, my car sounds ALOT better since the practically new engine it got. It now sounds like the performance car it really is!!! :)

I thought high consumption is due to direct injection engine and the pcv system used to lubricate the intake valves.
Fit an oil catch can and see how much oil you lose.

there is prob nothing wrong with your car every a4 b8 owner had bad oil consump i put 1 liter in mine every month or so but if your putin oil in evety week then thats a problem , is your car tuned do u drive fast this eats the oil in ths car , nothig will stop this engine drinking oil

there is prob nothing wrong with your car every a4 b8 owner had bad oil consump i put 1 liter in mine every month or so but if your putin oil in evety week then thats a problem , is your car tuned do u drive fast this eats the oil in ths car , nothig will stop this engine drinking oil

The issue has been addressed. And i feel you know little about cars with a comment that!

Weather you drive slow or fast (by that i dont mean screaming the engine) that consumption isnt healthy. Even 1 litre per month!
If there was nothing wrong with the car why would audi fix it for free!

Reactions: kanecullen89
no you will still have heavy oil consump no mater what audi do to your engine fact, am on my second engine an yes it drinks oil like the old one

DOH!

Apart from fixing the issue that Audi have identified that causes the engines to use oil! LOL!!!
They are completely rebuilding my engine to fix the piston issue and have told me it would have cost £6500!!!!!

Reactions: kanecullen89
i know a new short engine from audi would be less than that . and would have a 2 year guarantee , a quick way to tell if the pcv valve is at fault is when you take your oil cap off ,is if there is a suction holding the cap on when undone then the pcv valve is fubared

Last edited:
I have a 2009 2.0T with 79,000 miles and over the course of the last 12 months have noticed a significant increase with my oil consumption. Maybe a quart every 350 miles or fill up. I spoke with my dealer and he said that they were noticing a higher increase of 2.0T coming in with the same problem. Specifically years 2009, 2010 and 2011.
Apparently customers were complaining that the 2.0T sounded like a diesel and Audi came up with a solution which was to make the piston heads smaller. Again, this is from my dealer.
I took my car in and as mentioned on other posts, they want you to drive 620 miles or when the oil light comes on which ever occurs first. I anticipate they will need to replace all the piston heads and this will be on warranty. There is a question as to whether Audi will warranty this work forever so its recommended to get your car inspected.
In as much as I was told that the work would be cost free, they did find oil in one of my coil/spark plugs. Not sure if this is related but it cost me over $700.00 and that was not anticipated.
Still love the car particularly in winter as we get a lot of snow in Utah.

Good luck on sorting it out! I feel like I'm taking a risk buying my 11 2.0tfsi :/

If its an Approved Used Audi supplied car you should be okay from what has been said in the past.

Interesting concept from "across the pond" though, ie just replacing the piston heads, either due to the "flexibility" of the English language, or someone is there to skim off the top of the pistons and glue new profiles on - I think not!

Still in USA they do lots of things now with glue, which reminds me, one of my daughters is flying back across the pond right now in a glued together aircraft - Dreamliner, so maybe it does work (hope so for her sake!).

I would like to share my experience with my 59 reg Audi 2.0T S Line. I was experiencing all the problems of high oil consumption (1 litre for every 170miles). My car went into Audi with 45,000 miles on the clock and Audi told me they know about this problem and would need a stage 1 & 2 fix. This was basically an oil change & consumption test over 1000 miles. As mentioned before I covered 170 miles and it was back in. They covered this work under a good will gesture.
My car was then diagnosed with new pistons & con rods. Audi told me I would have to pay near on £6000 inclusive of vat to cover the work. I complained no end and refused to pay that amount for a fault that was clearly down to a manufacturing issue.
After a arguing the case with Audi UK and their case managers I agreed on a £1200 contribution and a £299 service plan. The work took 15 days to complete and I had a hire car the whole time. They also fitted a new head gasket seal whilst the engine & gearbox was out and I had a rear light replaced whilst it was in. It runs like new now and pleased to say all is good.
On top of this we have been given a reduced rate on all future labour charges and Audi have told me we will qualify for fixed rate parts. All the work is now under warranty for 2years as I made the contribution.
Just one other thing to mention my car had full service history although not all with Audi.
Good luck and hope this helps with any problems you are having.

Ive had my car two months now and been watching for this issue, I topped the oil up when I got it and did 1000miles to see if there was an issue, checked the consuption and its about half a litre or a little bit more.

Now from reading this post it seams that some people have had their cars fixed and use no oil between services if this is the case then Im thinking I should just get my car into Audi and tell them its using too much oil and see what they say as they cannot fob me off if there are people who have had the fix and using no oil, what do you think?

If your getting a thousand miles out of it that's fine. They will ask you to do a consumption test and they will monitor it. Like mentioned mine was a litre for every 170 miles so a big difference between you & I. I literally drove out of Audi Milton Keynes up to Birmingham & back and the light was on again. So went back in the following day.

Yeah I know what you are saying mate, I just find it hard to believe they say any oil use is acceptable then there are people on here who after having the work done have no oil use between services?

My B6 hardly used any oil between services (12 monthly) and I had that 7 years, in this day and age how can it be acceptable?

My car is just undergoing the first oil consumption test..just about to finish up to 600 miles and the mmi oil level is nearly empty... This deemed as a fail? Also how much people been paying for the tests?

Also my one year warranty had just run out {bought the car for AUC} last year... Is it worth extending another year (named component or comprehensive) in anticipate work may need to be done if the oil consumption tests fail?

Help meeeeee...im proper panicking like crazy

A sad Miss Cat xxx

Sorry repeat post... Posted in main chat now... Thanks xxx