Main dealer or not for approx £22k

Andru8

Reaction score
I am thinking of coming back for a S3 with a maximum budget of £22k. I really want the best spec I can get for the money but definitely want the higher spec screen, Nav and sound system. On cars at this price I've always gone to main dealers for peace of mind but I'm not sure this time.
Have any of you gone to a non main dealer to buy your cars at this type of price and would anyone really recommend it? This will probably be my last expensive car so I want to be sure I get the best deal for myself.

Any input gratefully received.

Reactions: Jassyo06
Best try and buy from a private seller for your budget and spec requirements mate.....Audi would charge around £24/£25 for a good spec 2 year old car,with options its all relevant buying from a dealer

Well I would say at that price point you should get a nicely spec'd S3 but you would be better looking at the main dealers imo as it would likely be out of manufacturers warranty and there is no better warranty than approved used.

Reactions: Vertigo1
Well I would say at that price point you should get a nicely spec'd S3 but you would be better looking at the main dealers imo as it would likely be out of manufacturers warranty and there is no better warranty than approved used.

Have a butchers as what main dealers are offering for £22k........Manual cars with no options.............Unless you go for a high mileage 64 plate etc,there's very few good optioned 8v's from main dealers at £22k

I tend to agree. Personally I'd be more inclined to compromise a bit on spec in exchange for a proper Audi used warranty, especially with the ability these things have to produce rather large bills.

Have a butchers as what main dealers are offering for £22k........Manual cars with no options.............Unless you go for a high mileage 64 plate etc,there's very few good optioned 8v's from main dealers at £22k
There are a few sub 23.5k cars on there mate with decent spec and mileage!

Sent from my Note 8 using Tapatalk

There are a few sub 23.5k cars on there mate with decent spec and mileage!

Sent from my Note 8 using Tapatalk

yeah they are, but they have that old type thingy called a clutch

Reactions: NevMan
I tend to agree. Personally I'd be more inclined to compromise a bit on spec in exchange for a proper Audi used warranty, especially with the ability these things have to produce rather large bills.

Well it's best to buy a car that's around 30 months old with some warranty left

My last 6 audi all aporoved or demo.. this time took a chance bought last of the s4 b8.5 2015 .. private dealer . They had car 3 months so they had car with 3 months man fac warranty. I bought with garages 3 month warranty plus knowing any problems surely garage would of took advantage of the dealer warranty . So i knew car was safe . I also took out rac extended warranty for 230 with free breakdown cover as no more audi assist .. but this was because i wanted a car 3 year old for modding .. sick of nearly new and not wanting void warranty .. plus the b9 i unsure about with swapping supercharger for turbo and going to 8 speed tip with no manual in pipe line.. s3 was manual my s4 dsg and thinking i wish i gone for manual .. only 5 week in so time will tell . Audi excuse the dsg cant handle the increase to 354 bhp? . Apr think it good for 400+ .. is this money on the part of audi .. price dsg v Price tip? Anyone?

Thanks all for you input, I can't go private as I've a px to put in at at value of approximately £5 1/2k. I'll take another look in the used Audi site and see what they have. After all the replies I think I'll stay main dealers to be in the safe side.

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

That was on my saved list on the used Audi page, that ticked all the boxes apart from the age but I suppose with my budget something will have to give.

I have read a few reports of the turbos's being problematic on the earlier ones, were they replaced under warranty and how could I check if this had it replaced?
It would be on the service repair history mate

Reactions: Andru8
But doesn’t have higher spec screen you mentioned was must have - Tech Pack

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It does if you click down lower, it states on the further information 'Technology package'

I've requested a video presentation of the car and hopefully all will be well.

Reactions: Jassyo06 and -Ju-
It does if you click down lower, it states on the further information 'Technology package'

I've requested a video presentation of the car and hopefully all will be well.

Fair enough, good luck

Soz, poor attention to detail by me, just looked at options list

That's normally me lol
It'll look lovely glacier white with the black pack and pan roof!

does look pretty tidy, apart from the dodgy vacuuming of the boot lol