Main Dealer Experiences

rnm37

Reaction score
First of all, apologies if this kind of topic has been covered in a previous thread. Just wanted to gauge the general opinion here RE customer service at main Audi dealers.

I bought my A3 2 years ago from Glasgow Audi and remember the whole process being pretty strained and difficult. I bought the car at the end of March and the rep I dealt with was very clear that they were trying to meet their sales figures for the month and pretty much held me to ransom by saying the car would jump up in price if I didn't pay on the spot. I did so on the premise that the car would be ready within 5 days as promised - lo and behold it was another two weeks before the car was ready due to "issues" at the body shop :)

Fast forward to today - I swung by another Scottish Audi establishment to enquire about finance options for an S3 (basically fishing to see if there were any decent deals coming up), and the impression I got was that they thought I was a bit of a joker. Asked my age (I'm 24 and look young) and got gruffly told I'm under the age limit for a test drive (fair enough).

Once I disclosed that I wasn't planning on buying a car til the summer the guy appeared to lose interest completely, gave me some ball park figures that I could have got from the Audi website anyway and pretty much sent me on my way. I understand they probably get their fair share of tyre kicking chancers coming in but even still, it felt a bit off to me.

Apologies if this sounds like a rant but I do think the customer service at the main Audi dealers leaves a lot to be desired. I just think you'd expect a bit more from the official dealers given the elevated prices you pay and the way they market themselves.

i was offered a test drive at 22y/o, suppose that was after we had the numbers made up but nothing signed

I've been very happy with Coulsdon Audi, Surrey. They are polite, helpful and friendly. I was there this week as my car needed an oil change. When I went to collect the car they realised the mechanic had gone home with my car keys in his pocket (he had test driven the car to sort out a rattle). When they told me I burst out laughing so I was very good natured about it. They gave me a coffee, a nice Audi key ring and a Gecko air freshener to say sorry but I was only held up 10 minutes so no big deal. Previously when my car had a problem with a rubber seal round the door handle they gave me a coat hanger thing for the back of the seat, a boot tidy and a set of cleaning products. Whilst I was waiting the salesman who originally sold me the car came up and said hello and even remembered I've got a convertible Morris Minor.

Reactions: amb66
i was offered a test drive at 22y/o, suppose that was after we had the numbers made up but nothing signed

How’d you manage that ?

I couldn’t even get a test drive even after I ordered an s3, (was 21 at the time). Told me some bs that they don’t let under 25’s drive S models. I can understand it for the RS models but don’t know why S models aswell.

Although bmw let under 25’s (serious buyers) drive their m performance range (m140i) accompanied with the sales man. Even tho it’s more powerful and rwd compared to an s3.

Reactions: MattSedg
First of all, apologies if this kind of topic has been covered in a previous thread. Just wanted to gauge the general opinion here RE customer service at main Audi dealers.

I bought my A3 2 years ago from Glasgow Audi and remember the whole process being pretty strained and difficult. I bought the car at the end of March and the rep I dealt with was very clear that they were trying to meet their sales figures for the month and pretty much held me to ransom by saying the car would jump up in price if I didn't pay on the spot. I did so on the premise that the car would be ready within 5 days as promised - lo and behold it was another two weeks before the car was ready due to "issues" at the body shop :)

Fast forward to today - I swung by another Scottish Audi establishment to enquire about finance options for an S3 (basically fishing to see if there were any decent deals coming up), and the impression I got was that they thought I was a bit of a joker. Asked my age (I'm 24 and look young) and got gruffly told I'm under the age limit for a test drive (fair enough).

Once I disclosed that I wasn't planning on buying a car til the summer the guy appeared to lose interest completely, gave me some ball park figures that I could have got from the Audi website anyway and pretty much sent me on my way. I understand they probably get their fair share of tyre kicking chancers coming in but even still, it felt a bit off to me.

Apologies if this sounds like a rant but I do think the customer service at the main Audi dealers leaves a lot to be desired. I just think you'd expect a bit more from the official dealers given the elevated prices you pay and the way they market themselves.

Only ever used two dealerships, first one sales were excellent, however service department were useless, screwed up courtesy car, and scratched my dash and denied it.

Second dealership I used 1st for tyre change as I wasn’t prepared to go back to original dealership, and they were great. New car next month is coming from them now, and sales guy is great, and very responsive to emails/calls both before and after deal was agreed.

I’ve not heard much good from Glasgow Audi, last time I went for a browse spent a good hour wandering around and both salesman that walked past me completely blanked me.

As for being too young for test drive? Rubbish! the salesman likely didn’t think he was going to get a sale so couldn’t be bothered. Any dealership worth their salt will allow an attendee test drive from 17+. For an extended test drive where you take it away overnight etc usually 21 as different insurance policy as you’re not driving with trade plates

How’d you manage that ?

I couldn’t even get a test drive even after I ordered an s3, (was 21 at the time). Told me some bs that they don’t let under 25’s drive S models. I can understand it for the RS models but don’t know why S models aswell.

Although bmw let under 25’s (serious buyers) drive their m performance range (m140i) accompanied with the sales man. Even tho it’s more powerful and rwd compared to an s3.
dont know hahaha, was with Lake District Audi, he just asked if id like to test drive the S3 he had? at that point id already had a ride along in a spirited drive and was already set on getting the car so i said im orite cheers

How’d you manage that ?

I’d have told them where to stick it if I was buying a 30k+ car and they refused to allow a test drive

Reactions: amb66

Sounds like you’ve had some bad experience, I would have gone to a completely brand after that experience, bought a car off them and then go back to Audi (in an s3 equivalent car etc) and waste their time for not taking you seriously. I’m sure they’d realise their mistake and maybe treat you abit better in the future.

Reactions: rnm37
I’d have told them where to stick it if I was buying a 30k+ car and they refused to allow a test drive

Learnt my lesson and will definitely tell them to stick it, in the near future if that ever happens again. (Looking at an rs3)

Reactions: SamR92
I've been very happy with Coulsdon Audi, Surrey. They are polite, helpful and friendly. I was there this week as my car needed an oil change. When I went to collect the car they realised the mechanic had gone home with my car keys in his pocket (he had test driven the car to sort out a rattle). When they told me I burst out laughing so I was very good natured about it. They gave me a coffee, a nice Audi key ring and a Gecko air freshener to say sorry but I was only held up 10 minutes so no big deal. Previously when my car had a problem with a rubber seal round the door handle they gave me a coat hanger thing for the back of the seat, a boot tidy and a set of cleaning products. Whilst I was waiting the salesman who originally sold me the car came up and said hello and even remembered I've got a convertible Morris Minor.

Sounds like a good all-rounder. Found Newcastle Audi to be very pushy and money focussed (I get you're a business but sometimes customer service goes further) were determined to run through the numbers which I obliged and weren't really willing to discount the car I wanted, told them of an alternative offer to which they looked at and had some excuse about price changes even though other dealers still offered it for the same price I'd seen. But I hope another dealer will be like the experience you've had. I had that experience in the past with a very pleasant Vauxhall dealer who similarly had a mechanic drive away accidentally with my keys. Always had the original salesman come over and talk to me, remembered my name even though he sold me the car 2 1/2 years ago and has seen many people since. It's that personalisation of service that makes you keep coming back.

dont know hahaha, was with Lake District Audi, he just asked if id like to test drive the S3 he had? at that point id already had a ride along in a spirited drive and was already set on getting the car so i said im orite cheers

Yeah funny thing is, the dealer washed my car when told not too. Long story short, they had to get the paint corrected. In the mean time I asked for an s3 and got a FL s3 for 4 days all by myself (I’m still under 25).

How’d they manage that, not a flipping clue. :blink:

Yeah funny thing is, the dealer washed my car when told not too. Long story short, they had to get the paint corrected. In the mean time I asked for an s3 and got a FL s3 for 4 days all by myself (I’m still under 25).

How’d they manage that, not a flipping clue. :blink:

The paint correction sounds interesting, presume poor washing method etc left swirls and so forth on your paint, how did you get them to put it right?

Now had 9 cars from Stirling Audi.
Keep giving me deals I'm happy with and good service.
Happy to provide me with cars for 24 / 48 hour test drives as well as entry to the Audi Cup golf for example.
If they keep coming up with the goods, I'll keep going back.

Reactions: Sandra, S32B, rnm37 and 4 others
Sounds like a good all-rounder. Found Newcastle Audi to be very pushy and money focussed (I get you're a business but sometimes customer service goes further) were determined to run through the numbers which I obliged and weren't really willing to discount the car I wanted, told them of an alternative offer to which they looked at and had some excuse about price changes even though other dealers still offered it for the same price I'd seen. But I hope another dealer will be like the experience you've had. I had that experience in the past with a very pleasant Vauxhall dealer who similarly had a mechanic drive away accidentally with my keys. Always had the original salesman come over and talk to me, remembered my name even though he sold me the car 2 1/2 years ago and has seen many people since. It's that personalisation of service that makes you keep coming back.

Yes the personalised service makes a difference. The salesman also remembered my name even thought he sold me the car over a year ago. It's worth his while to make the effort because as a result of that interaction I asked him if he had an RS3 I can test drive in the near future. The service manager noticed the audi-sport.net sticker on my rear screen and the Audi tyre valve caps I fitted.

Reactions: Sandra and MaffewEM
The paint correction sounds interesting, presume poor washing method etc left swirls and so forth on your paint, how did you get them to put it right?

Yep told them not too wash it after an oil service, sticker on the key tag say NO WASH and logged on the system. Technician still decided to wash it for some reason. It was their mess up so they had to put it right in order to keep me happy. We agreed on a local detailing firm to sort out the swirls which I trusted and coincidentally they had a good relationship with the servicing manager of the Audi dealership.

I’ve had a few issues with my dealership with my car but they’ve always put it right in the end and given some form of compensation for the trouble they caused.

How’d you manage that ?

Mate they’re telling you porkies when I ordered my S4 (only 20) I couldn’t get a test drive but I’ve driven an S5 sport back before so I knew what to expect. They said when I’m 21 I can come back and test drive The Rs3 :D because that will be my next car after the S4. Salesman took me out for a 30 min test drive in the Rs3 as I said it’s my dream car.

Lincoln Audi (JCT600) have been decent for me in the past when it comes to servicing. Also, gave me had 3 test drives in a S3, 2 of which were unaccompanied when I was looking to order and I was only 21 at the time, so not sure whether different dealers have different policies or what.

Mate they’re telling you porkies when I ordered my S4 (only 20) I couldn’t get a test drive but I’ve driven an S5 sport back before so I knew what to expect. They said when I’m 21 I can come back and test drive The Rs3 :D because that will be my next car after the S4. Salesman took me out for a 30 min test drive in the Rs3 as I said it’s my dream car.

The age ability to drive a performance or a car of a certain value is up to that company's insurance policy and accompanied by a company employee. In this neck of the woods to drive the car unaccompanied you have to be over 25 and switch your vehicle's insurance policy with it's limitations to the demo car. I have no issues with my dealer letting me use a demo car for up to a couple of days and other dealers no issues for at least 6 hours or more.
New car salesmen are not charlatans. The good ones will want to have a continued relationship and the good dealers will also have a top notch service department. Nothing turns a customer off more than dodgy service visits and the dealer who goes the extra mile gets my business.
I have been with Cowell Motors for over 15 years. They flog, Audi, Jaguar, Land Rover and VW

Here is a pic of their Audi dealership and the other ones are within a one minute walk of each other.

o.jpg

Reactions: Pinky1959 and Audi Bairn
Can’t recommend Swindon Audi (inchcape) highly enough, I deal with Nigel Simpson there, had 4 PCP’s from him now. No game playing, tell him what you want and how much you expect to pay and he does his upmost to get there.

I live in Cheltenham and refuse to use Cheltenham Audi (blade) for anything, their sales approach is pretty much if you don’t buy it the next person will.

Reactions: Audi Bairn
I don't have any experience with Glasgow Audi, but Edinburgh Audi are, in my experience, no better. They're all part of the Lookers Group and I do feel that these types of experiences indicate a group culture.

When we were looking to buy new in late 2016, we arranged a date to test drive three specific cars. When we turned up, the salesman had gone out (on instructions of his manager, to see a potential R8 customer - nice to know you're valued!), no one else knew we were coming and they only had one of the three cars on site. It was a farce. I emailed the dealer principal to formally to complain and got no reply. We did get as far as negotiating but the discount we'd been offered by a dealer down south (17%-18%, through carwow) was "outside our envelope".

The car has been there once for minor warranty work since. I had to wait two weeks to book it in and I received it back covered in bird poo.

Servicing prices in their group are some of the highest I've found. I took the car to Perth for its first service, had a great experience and it was £50 cheaper. Talking to one of the senior managers there was interesting, he said "Edinburgh Audi are one of our best marketing tools."

You only have to look at the volume of units arriving in the Edinburgh compound each month, the lack of competition in Edinburgh and the fact that Lookers have the central belt pretty sewn up, it's hardly surprising they don't give a damn about good service.

Reactions: Audi Bairn
You only have to look at the volume of units arriving in the Edinburgh compound each month, the lack of competition in Edinburgh and the fact that Lookers have the central belt pretty sewn up, it's hardly surprising they don't give a damn about good service.

Exactly this, they seem to have everything above York bar some others on the West Coast near Carlisle. Hence little to no competition, hadn't looked at their servicing prices but now you've mentioned it... may look to get Audi Complete or something instead so I know exactly what it's going to cost, guess it has the bonus of breakdown etc anyway.

Reactions: DrMal
I don't have any experience with Glasgow Audi, but Edinburgh Audi are, in my experience, no better. They're all part of the Lookers Group and I do feel that these types of experiences indicate a group culture.

When we were looking to buy new in late 2016, we arranged a date to test drive three specific cars. When we turned up, the salesman had gone out (on instructions of his manager, to see a potential R8 customer - nice to know you're valued!), no one else knew we were coming and they only had one of the three cars on site. It was a farce. I emailed the dealer principal to formally to complain and got no reply. We did get as far as negotiating but the discount we'd been offered by a dealer down south (17%-18%, through carwow) was "outside our envelope".

The car has been there once for minor warranty work since. I had to wait two weeks to book it in and I received it back covered in bird poo.

Servicing prices in their group are some of the highest I've found. I took the car to Perth for its first service, had a great experience and it was £50 cheaper. Talking to one of the senior managers there was interesting, he said "Edinburgh Audi are one of our best marketing tools."

Stirling has been Lookers for over a year and I certainly hope I don't see a decline there.
I'll report back soon as mine is due a service. Although form what you're saying maybe I should price check with Perth.

Reactions: DrMal
I quite enjoyed the buying experience at Glasgow Audi but that salesman has now left the company. Its a shame as he actually listened and was informative about the whole process. Was in recently for a casual enquiry on changing my car and to be honest I didn't get the same vibe. Too much sitting about waiting, no rapport and felt like I was getting vetted to see if I could buy a car.

Got my car serviced as Perth as the person I spoke to actually knew what they were talking about unlike Glasgow and was going up anyway. It was about £70 cheaper than Glasgow for a oil change.

Reactions: Audi Bairn and DrMal

Hi pal,my son worked for Glasgow Audi for 4 years....he chucked them a year ago...but if want to deal with them again PM me,and l will try and get you a contact for a deal,PS............SALESMAN....are not really interested in new orders the last 2 weeks of Feb.............Mad March......THE 1st fever....is rampant

Lookers Audi do get a bad reputation on here I some times go in and look at the cars outside and have been there for nearly 45 minutes before and no sales person comes anywhere near me , ok I get they will get lots of tyre kickers but they could at least ask .
Lookers VW on the other hand are totally BRILLIANT .........

Can’t fault Perth Audi. Bought my last 2 A3’s from there and they were 1st class on both occasions from start to finish. Decent price for oil change & 1st service when needed. To be fair I haven’t heard a bad word about Perth Audi and the sales staff. Top dealership.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Audi Bairn and DrMal
My Audi experience is limited to Chingford Audi (NE London). I have found that the combination of sales person and finance manager character is the most important factor in the purchase process.

Back in 2010 I dealt with very keen salesman who was young and did me a decent deal on a A5 Sportback SLine 2.0T when they had just been launched. I agreed a trade in price for my Mazda 6 MPS and an expected delivery date of 3-4 months after order. On the day of pickup, the finance manager tried to tell me that they couldn't honour the trade in price (There was no reduction clause in the order contract). I told them, they were obliged to honour the agreed price otherwise I was obliged to get my deposit back and walk away. I did complete the deal, but it left a bad impression.

Fast forward to 2014 when my PCP was up, I had an average experience with a different sales person. No follow up on swapping the A5 for a Q5 and so I ended up in a Merc GLA as the Mercedes Benz Loughton sales guy was very pleasant and did me a deal.

I decided a while back that I wanted a Q5/SQ5 next and was wary of Chingford Audi and so started with Carwow and talked to a few dealers in the London area with varying levels of responsiveness and courtesy which gave me an idea of the possible discounts. Funniest was Portsmouth Audi's no discounts quote!

When on the Audi website there was a popup to test drive the SQ5 at my local dealer which I filled in. I didn't expect much from it, however a few days later a polite chap from Chingford rang me and said he could arrange a test of the SQ5. I called the day before my test drive to confirm and was informed that the car I was going to test had been sold, but that another car from the group was being sourced. Turns out the sales chap went all the way to Cambridge to get me an SQ5 to test. The drive was good and I left the sales guy my desired spec and agreed to talk again when he had built it and had an idea of cost. No pressure to buy or today only offers that I've seen from sales people in the past, just a sensible chat and agreement to work on a deal.

I ended up ordering the SQ5 from Chingford at a price £250 over the best Carwow quote, but the dealer is 20 minutes from my house and the sales chap earned the sale. I didn't meet the finance manger, but she gave me a number I was happy with guided by the sales guy. With a different sales person it could have gone down very differently...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I bought the car at the end of March and the rep I dealt with was very clear that they were trying to meet their sales figures for the month and pretty much held me to ransom by saying the car would jump up in price if I didn't pay on the spot. I did so on the premise that the car would be ready within 5 days as promised - lo and behold it was another two weeks before the car was ready due to "issues" at the body shop :)
Similar to my experience, I ordered the car and they gave me a rough date for delivery, that date got closer and I asked them to confirm it 2 weeks before as I was selling my car privately, which they did. A few days before collection day they contacted me and said the car may be up to another 2 weeks!!! (into the next month). I asked if they would supply me with a car for that time as they have passed the date they gave me...NO! So I contacted Audi UK and they weren't happy either, they said they don't expect their customers to be without a car for any length of time and they would contact the dealership!!! The next day I get a call from my local Audi dealership and low and behold the car was now ready for the weekend! I assume they just wanted to put it on the following months sales figures.

rnm37 said:
I understand they probably get their fair share of tyre kicking chancers coming in but even still, it felt a bit off to me.

Not just Audi mate and not just to young guys like yourself, last year I considered the sensible route and posted this: :p

"So I went for an arranged test drive yesterday at 1pm at Hyundai, it was going to be in the new petrol turbo engine Tuscon that had just come in. I got there at 12.55 and the guy I'd seen was busy with another customer, so I looked at the other cars in the showroom and then stood there waiting for someone to come over, two sales guys were flirting with the two young girls on reception! Once they'd finished one guy walked off and into the back, the other guy looked at me got his mobile out and started playing on it whilst leaning on the reception desk! Then one of the receptionist looked at me, picked her mobile up and started playing with it! The other one just sat that gazing at the salesman.

The original guy who I'd gone to see went outside and got in a car and drove off with the customer he was with!! I'd been in there for 15 minutes and was getting slightly annoyed! So I went into the office at the back and asked for the manager, it turned out that he was the guy that saw me pull up in my S3. I told him what had happened and how I thought that it was completely unprofessional, he fully agreed and was clearly not happy :) I told him to forget it, he was groveling like anything to put it right, but I just said "No, they have annoyed me too much and if that's your pre sales service I'd hate to see the after sales service, what did they think I was doing standing there, waiting for a bus?" :D As I left the car park I could see him at the reception not looking very happy with the phone users :D"

The problem I have with these threads are, they are usually so unfair.

The entire dealership gets castrated because of one rude individual.
Did you speak to the manager about the member of staff not having much time for you or did you get on your keyboard mode and straight on here?

I went to Audi Manchester when I bought my Audi Q5 some years back and the service manager was a tw@t.
The sales were brilliant and we were pleased with the purchase,fast forward 2 years and a broken mechatronics unit under warranty and it was a living nightmare. Audi had the Q5 in for 3 months to sort it and the Sales Manager was a proper knob to put it politely, several members of staff telling us to one side that he isn't well liked so don't feel too bad.

He has since been moved on and we have used the new service manager who is night and day better and more professional than the last.
I will still use Manchester Audi as it is a fantastic place to buy from.
One ******** could have changed all that for most though who then brand the dealership as a whole as terrible.

Reactions: Audi Bairn and Jassyo06
If you were in a commission based role would you want to spend time talking to someone who has disclosed they're not looking to buy in the near future?.

& as you're not looking to buy until the summer by when the mileage, value & condition of your car could've greatly changed with different offers available then & yet you expected something more than ball park figures?.

When I read posts like that I'm glad I'm not in a retail job role lol

If you were in a commission based role would you want to spend time talking to someone who has disclosed they're not looking to buy in the near future?.

They should do yes, if come the summertime I went back in there and that guy came over to me I'd speak to someone else. However, I do understand what you are saying about giving a set price for so far in the future, but they should still show interest in you as a future customer.

I had great service from a guy at Warrington Audi (Ben Cunliffe), he couldn't do enough to help me and always phoned/emailed when he said he would. Unfortunately they couldn't get me what I wanted at the price I wanted (not his fault), so I bought from another dealership. Even then he even gave me advice about the deal I'd been offered even though he knew I wasn't going to be buying from him!! I'll not forget that and as soon as I'm in the market again I'll go back to him, I'd also recommend him to anyone who is after a new car, so it does pay off to be nice ;)

Reactions: davc
They should do yes, if come the summertime I went back in there and that guy came over to me I'd speak to someone else. However, I do understand what you are saying about giving a set price for so far in the future, but they should still show interest in you as a future customer.

I had great service from a guy at Warrington Audi (Ben Cunliffe), he couldn't do enough to help me and always phoned/emailed when he said he would. Unfortunately they couldn't get me what I wanted at the price I wanted (not his fault), so I bought from another dealership. Even then he even gave me advice about the deal I'd been offered even though he knew I wasn't going to be buying from him!! I'll not forget that and as soon as I'm in the market again I'll go back to him, I'd also recommend him to anyone who is after a new car, so it does pay off to be nice ;)

agree with the above - its fair enough if they are busy/plenty of customers but often that is not the case and it does them no favours by ignoring or treating potential customers poorly - as they say you never get a second chance to make a first impression - I work in the public sector and we often get slated, but personally I 99% of the time deal with customers courteously and efficiently (I realise not all do though) - I like to be treated how I treat others but that is all too often not the case in other walks of life.

Reactions: DrMal, Bells and S32B
Can be very hit and miss depending on who you speak to...I dont buy cars from people who are rude or too pushy, remember you are the customer.

Im off to a main dealer tomorrow booked in for some warranty work....we shall see what happens but I can tell you I wont be suffering any fools !