Magnum's S1

T S Magnum

Reaction score
Hi all.

Apologies for the slightly misleading title as my S1 does not exist yet. I do like a good owner thread though and though I'd start this one from the beginning, having placed my S1 order on 4th November with Tyneside Audi.

As an introduction, I am an engineer in the oil and gas sector and spending most of my time overseas. Home is Whitley Bay in the North East. Until recently my toy cars were a 1994 Eunos with many mods and a less modded Mk5 R32:

DSCN6087a.jpg

Unfortunately in September the Golf came to an abrupt and squashed end when the car second in front of me braked suddenly to turn right on an A-road. I was already keen to get into an S1, this just accelerated the process by about 6 months!

After a predictably fun test drive, I ordered a 3-door, white with black roof, both 'packs' and a few choice options. It is due in Feb '17.

I intend to enjoy the car as standard for next year then gradually add the typical mods - using the excellent source of info and advice on this forum. I certainly hope to meet-up with other S1 owners in the North East or further afield. :racer:

I've got the same username on Pistonheads too:

R32 thread
http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/...453&mid=89370&nmt=Magnum's+Mk5+Golf+R32+

Eunos thread
http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/...9370&nmt=Magnum's+Supercharged+Mk1+Eunos

Anyway, more content to follow when the S1 actually arrives :blink:

Reactions: Rumpelkillskins
Welcome to ASN....I'll be staying tuned to this!

I had a MKV R32 as well, and the sound was so addictive.

Reactions: T S Magnum
Welcome to Audi-sport.net. Look forward to you collecting the car. Enjoy the forum. :)

Welcome mate I use to have a mk2 R32 few years ago really good car.
Looking forward to hear your mods.
My second s1 should be here in next few weeks.

Welcome Matey!
Great choice and Spec!
Travelling up your way for our Granddaughter's 4th Birthday this Saturday /Sunday.
Cullercoats here we come!
Best,Pete.

Welcome! I'm a soon to be owner too. Ordered ours the day after you, although it's built so hopefully collect by the end of month.

Would be interested to know your opinion on R32 compared to S1. My wife traded her 2008 manual R32 for a petrol Evoque in June. We are both looking forward to getting the S1...

Last edited:
Thanks for the welcome guys, appreciated.

I agree the comparison with the R32 will be interesting. It was DSG as well so the manual verses paddles factor comes into it. Each to there own but the R32 experience indicated to me that fun cars are better as manual (the Eunos has a fantastic 'box). Spike, yes I will miss the sound, mine had a Milltek - sooo nice :(

S1Pete, it's a small world! We actually live in Cullercoats but nobody ever knows where that is. Have a great time, bit cold for the beach sadly.

Daft question folks - is there a mistake in the Audi configurator / tracker which shows the contrast roof as body colour instead of black?

Cheers

I mean with white as main body colour and contrast roof, the roof will be black?

That's what I'm after, as per A1 Quattro pics I've seen.

I would check with your dealer my car came from the factory with no Quattro exterior pack but it wasn't a factory error.
It was a **** up by the dealer.
I would check

Good advice thanks. So I can go to them with a precedent, can anyone with white and contrast roof confirm it is black please?!

Contrast roof is black and then there is the black pack !!

Thanks Moggy, good to confirm about roof. I've gone with the Black Pack as well for maximum A1 Quattro likeness.

Be good if these excellent A1 Quattro wheels are still available. A set of coil overs and spacers and you've got a stand out car.

Yes, those wheels are lush. I was thinking Compomotive TH1781 would be quite similar.

Car arrived in the UK today. Port of Tyne so only a couple of miles up to the dealer. I'm overseas and can't collect it until at least the 17th though. Can't wait! :welcoming:

Reactions: SPIKE_
The dealer normally sends a little walk round video to you before delivery.

16807694_10158178441540573_5656598193823502554_n.jpg

17th Feb was Collection Day :yes:

The service was excellent from Gary at Tyneside Audi. Enjoying the car a lot so far. Just as I intended, it's proven the perfect device around the twisties of the North Pennines.

Reactions: S1Pete, ChrisG. and SPIKE_
Wow, that looks great in white. Enjoy!

Any more pictures?

16807694_10158178441540573_5656598193823502554_n.jpg

17th Feb was Collection Day :yes:

The service was excellent from Gary at Tyneside Audi. Enjoying the car a lot so far. Just as I intended, it's proven the perfect device around the twisties of the North Pennines.
Great looking car!
We're in Cullercoats, 7th/8th March, will look out for you!

Thanks! I will be away again then, car safely tucked away. Getting good use of it these two weeks though. Drove through the crazy winter weather up to Aberdeen today. A bit foolish to do on summer tires but it performed brilliantly.

Another from collection day:

ghgh76766.jpg

I don't like the white roof so that will go soon. First though it's getting a GTechniq coating next week :sunglasses:

Reactions: THQuattro and SPIKE_
I like the roof mate tbh.
My new S1 is due soon I've ordered my S1 with panoramic roof I might get the rest of the roof in a black wrap.
Can you send pics when done?

My favourite road in the UK. Although it's 1 hour quicker for me to take the Average Speed Camera ridden A9 North, I'll always take the A93 / A939 Old Military Road (Perth - Blairgowrie - Ballater - Tomontoul - Grantown - Nairn) if I have time.

Reactions: T S Magnum and SPIKE_
Thanks for the link, it was that Evo feature that inspired me. Didn't see the video though.

Very nice shot. You had warmer weather than us.

IMG_3517.jpg

IMG_3516.jpg

Balmoral

IMG_3520.jpg

The only downer was a a great big windscreen chip from a gritter :(

Reactions: Rockall
Since returning from Scotland the car has visited DDB Detailing in North Shields for a full GTechniq Crystal Serum ceramic coating. I'm interested in comparing it with the less sophisticated Diamondbrite coating on another car. GTechniq get good reviews and it wasn't cheap so I'm expecting big things. DDB gave an excellent service, preparing the car beautifully. This pic showing the car immediately after the coating doesn't do the finish justice, it is a deep, flawless shine.

IMG_3578.jpg

Reactions: SPIKE_ and Rockall
Ah yes, that article and the recent one with the 355. Great road and the S1 suits it well.