Magnetic suspension

dipstic

Reaction score
Hi
Has anybody got this fitted if so is it worth the £900 extra? and how do I find out (apart from ringing and asking) if any Audi dealers in the south of the uk have a demo S3 with it installed

I went in a new s3 the other day and it was quite good, don't know if it's worth 900 notes though.

David

I would like to ask how good the facelift S3 standard suspension is?

I went in a new s3 the other day and it was quite good, don't know if it's worth 900 notes though.

David

I would like to ask how good the facelift S3 standard suspension is?

Well I thought my prefacelift 8p s3 suspension was too soft and as I am toying with the idea of getting a new facelift one I would spec the mag suspension (if it works) I have test driven a TTS with it fitted but not the S3 .

It needs to be asked and answered by someone with std suspension on a facelift S3?

I asked the same question about 5 months ago before ordering mine.

I too had tested the TTS with it on and was quite impressed.

HOWEVER. I had an S3 sportback for the weekend with it on, and I'm not sure what it was, maybe the extra weight of the car I'm not sure but, when it was off it was just like it was when it was turned on.

In fact I then asked to use a non Magride car and the ride was so much better I can't even begin to tell you. So, I ordered mine without it and saved the 900 quid.

Great on the TT, not great on the S3. I'm thinking they should have put the "audi drive selct" off the A4 onto the S3 instead.

Hope that helps.

I have it on my S3 Sportback and it makes a noticeable difference. But bear in mind it is never 'off' just in normal or sport mode.

Biggest bonus is driving hard on winding or poorly surfaced roads - in sport mode it really locks the car down tightly, much better than my 07 SLine A3 quattro. remember it is not just the soft/hard difference that counts - it is the fact that the shocker on each wheel is being adjusted independently many times per second to improve the handling/road -holding ... and it does work.

Hi
Has anybody got this fitted if so is it worth the £900 extra? and how do I find out (apart from ringing and asking) if any Audi dealers in the south of the uk have a demo S3 with it installed
why you like wana track race or somthing ??? id rather mine sit lower and look nicer on coils all the standered s3s on here look nice but all the audis dropped including s3s look wey better so id go for looks and handling rather than magnetic ride

Even the dealer told me it was a waste of time on the S3!

Heard quite a few stories its ok on the TTS but does not make much of a difference on the S3.

Why is that? Whats the big difference between the TTS and the S3 that the magnetic dampers wouldn't work well on the S3?

Weight? Suspension set-up? Handling?

I'm not sure to be honest but I listen to a dealer that does not try to sell me options!!

They did say its more noticable on the TTS as opposed to the S3, I was lowering anyway so was a no no on mine.

Reactions: AdriansS3
why you like wana track race or somthing ??? id rather mine sit lower and look nicer on coils all the standered s3s on here look nice but all the audis dropped including s3s look wey better so id go for looks and handling rather than magnetic ride

Was looking at staying with the audi warranty and yes I agree would look nicer lowered so might look at buying another prefacelift and lowering that instead (like to see a increase in handling and also appearance)

I certainly like the sound of magnetic ride, IF I can have a comfort mode and a sport mode. Retrofit anyone?

I certainly like the sound of magnetic ride, IF I can have a comfort mode and a sport mode. Retrofit anyone?

thats what i thought, problem is, it's niether. When it's in sport mode (on) it's like you're back is breaking slightly every time you go over a bump. and when it's in comfort mode (off) it's a bit less back breaky. But still not as nice as the standard car.

IMHO anyway, and the dealers, Topgears, Autocar's etc etc

I had standart suspension in my last S3 2007, now I've got Sportback S3 2008 with magnetic ride.
First of all when sport mode is turned off suspension is a bit softer than in standart S3 which is quite good if you live in a country like Poland with large number od bad roads.
When you turn sport mode on car become much stiffer, which is very good for highways or race track or having fun on a mountain road.

If I would have to choose it one more time I would buy magnetic ride for 100% !

I've donne 9400km with magnetic ride, andd 38000km in previous S3

Reactions: James__S3
A definite notable difference when you hit the t*t!

With it off, the ride is notably softer. Press the button and instantly it is a harder ride..... not quite a hard ride as my Type-R which made you drive the car like you were nodding and agreeing with everyone, not forgetting the loose fillings!

KKP...

I note that the last entry for this thread was back in September 2009. Has anyone got any further input with regard to liking or hating the magnetic suspension option ?
I am very tempted by it but do understand some of the negative points as well.

Appreciate any further feedback before i take the plunge with new order for S3
Thanks

I'd so no to ordering it. My S3 SB didn't have it and I often wondered about it but I now have a TTS which has this fitted as standard, I only ever use the car in standard mode as this offers a slightly more compliant ride than the S3, if you switch to sport the difference is immediatly felt but of little use anywhere but on track as the extra stiffness makes the ride a little jiggerly on B roads.

I can't see any reason why it wouldn't work as well on the S3 as on the TTS and although I think it's pretty good I wouldn't pay the extra £900 which imo would be better spent on some aftermarket suspension if that way inclined but from past experience I'll stick with the standard set up on my new S3 and re-fit the uprated ARB's which make a tremendous difference, my previous S3 had far less understeer and felt more planted than my current TTS.

Spend your £900 on some driving tuition at a local race track, that will be much better value for money.
You will be amazed at what a little tution can do to your driving.
You will learn aspects that you would of never dreamed existed, & you will ask yourself. What have i been thinking of for all these years?

Thats a really good tip, I only started attending track events in 2008 when I bought the BMW as I anted to learn about RWD handling in a safer enviroment, since then and even after 23 years of driving I think my skills and perception have dramatically increased, don't get me wrong I'm definetly no driving God but you do learn so much about yourself and your car. Good call.

Thanks for your input. Yes it is a lot of money to dish out and I totally agree with you on what you find out on track. I used to own a 964 model 911, and initially on the road I was terrified of it breaking away at the rear, especially if you panicked at a corner and lifted off the power even slightly.
But after a bit of track time and a visit to the "ring" it all started to make sense knowing the limits of the car with some added tuition. By the time I became comfortable with the car it was time to sell it !!

The only reason I was tempted by the sound of the "mag" is that I will be covering a fair bit of motorway driving etc and thought for longer runs it may be less tiring with the ride a bit more comfortable. I have not had the chance to test drive a car with it installed yet. How is the standard set up of the S3 ? Would you say it is comparable to say a Golf GTI set up maybe ?

Same height, just stiffer shocks when switched on.

I have Magnetic Ride on my 170 TDI S/Line SportBack quattro, and have it on all the time.

Would I recommend it? Well, the car is still a bit front heavy when going into corners quick, and will still want to drift wide, so given the choice I would probably put on "custom suspension"; having said that, it is fine. Off for "do not jar" and On for "tight".

Better than standard S/Line (had that on previous 06 3dr TDI), and is similar to the other car I drive ('04 R32) - although the R is nicer it is still a go kart with a big engine :p

I've only had an hours test drive in an S3 with the magnetic dampers but in my opinion your money would be spent on a good set of dampers instead

I have it on my current A3 and have been very happy with it, my previous A3's had the following combos and I will rate them compared to the Magnetic ride based on my experience

H+R touring Cup Kit - too harsh and too bump stop reliant

Koni FSD's/Neuspeed Sport Springs - perfect balance of comfort and handling, no dive or drift on twisties

Koni Sports/H+R Sport Springs - again springs made the car too bump stop reliant but the dampers definitely improved the handling

Magnetic ride - daily driving comfort, switch on and tightens up very nicely but car will dive up front when pushed really hard, adequate for daily driving and and occasional spirited driving but a goos set of adustable coils would be better for the track

See for my post here.

One more thing. The magnetic ride does NOT have an "Off" mode. It is constantly active video).

It is only the damping that changes.:eiertritt:

So is Mag ride in 'normal mode' stiffer or looser than standard s-line A3 sportsback sus?

ttrs with mag ride was wicked... so confident throwing it around corners... thanks to cardiff audi for the drive! :-0
is it worth 900 quid? hmmmmm
dunno about that!

My MY10 S3 (ex demo) has it on, would probably spend the £900 elsewhere but it is good. 95% of time it's in sport mode, just when you get a really bad road switch it to normal. Trouble is I sometimes forget I turned it off and only notice when I have my foot down round a corner or on a roundabout and it gradually slides to the other side! The difference between sport & normal is big, get more road noise when in sport but as I say cornering is massively better. Not tried an S3 without it so can't say how the standard set up compares.