Magnetic Ride

Evotion

The Greed For Speed
Reaction score
Hi all,

Is there any way at all to ascertain if an RS3 has Magnetic Ride?
Is it referenced in the settings or something you can see that is different?

Ah, also... what is it anyway? :)
How does it work technically and is it actually worth it?

Cheers.

In the Drive Select Individual settings it will/won't have suspension as an option.

The oil in the dampers essentially has iron filings in it, when the fluid is magnetised it make the fluid more viscous and so the damping firmer. The car adjusts the level of magnetism many times a second to give either a sporty or more comfortable ride/handling depending on the setting chosen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Menu>Car>Individual Settings

This is an image of the Individual suspension settings.

BiXqw

BiXqw

Does this mean it does have Magnetic Ride?

Ah ok. cheers.

And when one is in Comfort Mode, this automatically makes it the softeast setting?

Ah ok. cheers.

And when one is in Comfort Mode, this automatically makes it the softeast setting?
Correct. But I can't tell a difference. Next time my car is in at Audi I'm going to ask them to check it's working!

I could tell a huge different between comfort and dynamic. Must be something up with yours I'd say.

I could tell a huge different between comfort and dynamic. Must be something up with yours I'd say.

I have a lengthy road I travel on everyday on the way to work. It's a poor surface with the car bobbing along. I try almost on a daily basis switching to comfort half way along it to see if there's any change in the ride or NVH...I can't. It's probably me! But I'll get them to check it just in case!

If you switch between comfort & dynamic whilst moving along a bumpy road, the difference should instantly be noticeable!
Easiest way to tell if you have mag ride without doing that is simply drive over some speedbumps, if it rattles like the top mounts are done up finger tight, you have it :tearsofjoy:

I got a print out from Audi last night which shows the car was 'born' with Mag Ride.
I haven't driven it enough yet to have spotted a difference.
Missus thought it was jolty in Comfort. I just said that this is standard as the car is a sports car but that it was harsher in sports mode.

Can someone explain something to me, if a car does not have magnetic ride, how stiff is the suspension? I currently have a PFL S3 with magnetic ride and I cannot use it in anything else than dynamic, I could even go for a stiffer suspension than dynamic tbh.

Afaik the standard suspension is softer than dynamic but harder than auto. You'd not like it on that basis ;)

TX.

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk

Afaik the standard suspension is softer than dynamic but harder than auto. You'd not like it on that basis ;)

TX.

Are you inferring that the cars use the Magnetic Ride most aptly in Auto mode?

Mag ride is soft in "comfort" a bit firmer in "auto" then firmer still in "dynamic" . For me comfort is too soft for a anything other than speed bumps or rutted roads. Dynamic is a bit too hard for everyday so I save it for mad moments! Auto feels about right so I use it day to day.

TX.

TX.

Great, thanks! I was thinking of just not speccing the magnetic ride to save the money if normal suspension was as firm, but I guess not. I guess the S3 and RS3 are about the same suspension wise anyhow? I really thought every day driving was boring until I specced the individual with dynamic suspension and all of a sudden it felt like a car should. For daily driving the dynamic is perfect but for when I want to go fast on back roads I would rather have it firmer.

What is the clunk everyone talks about with magnetic ride?

Mine doesn't clunk! Unless you mean the top mount noise? Mine was sorted very early under warranty, not a mag ride issue though.

TX.

I've always presumed my car has mag ride as I can change the settings in suspension, yet I genuinely don't feel a massive difference from dynamic to comfort mode? My question is, is the difference really that noticeable? As this thread has got me thinking maybe there's something wrong with it, as to but it bluntly I've always found the ride extremely hard no matter which mode I'm in? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Soft is really soft. You would not be wanting to fly around in that setting as imho the car would topple over! I use it for speed bumps only.

TX.

I've always presumed my car has mag ride as I can change the settings in suspension, yet I genuinely don't feel a massive difference from dynamic to comfort mode? My question is, is the difference really that noticeable? As this thread has got me thinking maybe there's something wrong with it, as to but it bluntly I've always found the ride extremely hard no matter which mode I'm in? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Yes there is a big difference, when showing passengers it isn't always obvious it's more obvious when you know the car. Change it between on roads you drive a lot, dynamic is pretty harsh!

I'm exactly the same. I can't tell what mode it's in but find it a hard ride regardless. I wouldn't be surprised if Audi found out it was faulty!

I Deffo won't be ordering mag ride, as I think it makes very little difference

I Deffo won't be ordering mag ride, as I think it makes very little difference

Put it this way, I drive mine in comfort a lot of the time when commuting and when I got in my granddads S Line A3, it felt really harsh! It was almost uncomfortable for me going between, but since I've started driving in Auto suspension. There is definitely a difference.

I called Audi today to get my car booked in as I'm almost positive it's not right, I'd had it seen to previously about 8 weeks ago regarding the hard ride and clunking noises ( asked them to check rear mounts ) came back saying this was a characteristic of the car..... fair enough I thought so I just cracked on. Well today after booking a slot for Tuesday with a receptionist, the technician called me back saying that it needs the software updated, but due the fact I've had it remapped and asked Audi on previous visits for servicing etc not to update it for fear of wiping my map that there's basically nothing he can do. He mentioned about having it mapped and how that could in itself change the feel of ride in comfort etc? Can anyone confirm if this it true? Or whether it's a case of he can't be assed and knows as I've modified my car I've no choice but to accept his decision. Don't get me wrong my cars not awful to drive, but I definitely don't have such a difference between modes as other members have found.

That's absolute nonsense, you haven't had your magnetic ride settings altered have you?

He's fobbing you off there!

I've not knowingly had anything altered to do with the ride, I just wasn't sure if what he was saying was a possibility regarding improved performance maybe affecting the ride? I too kinda thought the same regarding being fobbed off, I suppose it's the maybe the price you pay for playing, as in you can't just take it to them and say look gents just sort it out as it definitely isn't how it should be. Guessing I'll just have to put up with harsh ride and stop bitching about it as it's still an immense car.

I've not knowingly had anything altered to do with the ride, I just wasn't sure if what he was saying was a possibility regarding improved performance maybe affecting the ride? I too kinda thought the same regarding being fobbed off, I suppose it's the maybe the price you pay for playing, as in you can't just take it to them and say look gents just sort it out as it definitely isn't how it should be. Guessing I'll just have to put up with harsh ride and stop bitching about it as it's still an immense car.
Next time mine is in at Audi I'm going to ask them to check the mag ride. I'm adamant there's no difference on mine.

So some guys are saying there's no difference, some are saying it's a must have. Has anyone driven both options? Those with it, are you running Individual settings with suspension in Auto and everything else in Dynamic unless you're on smooth roads?

I need to decide whether to check the box tomorrow or not....

I honestly can't get my head round the difference of opinion so many people seem to have on this issue. My S3 is standard suspension ie. non magride, and its crashy and doesn't cope well with changes. I recently swapped it all out for B12 prokit (Bilstein B8 and 10mm lower Eibach springs)....it basically felt the same just lower. So I just swapped back to my OEM springs and now it feels a lot better. But overall its one of the biggest disappointments I have with the car. I'm looking to drive the new RS3 sedan soon which has magride and then will get a direct comparison to see how it feels....
Someone said to me a long time ago with my car....just change the dampers and if you want it firmer do rear swaybar....I think they were spot on.
I'd say if you have good roads generally and like to track the car....then stick with standard suspension and go for a set of good aftermarket coilovers (Bilstein B16/ride control)....otherwise if roads are a bit hit and miss I'd get magride and then if you want to improve things from there get MSS kit.

I think there's a massive difference between comfort and dynamic, but it obviously depends on the state of the roads you spend your time on.
When I first got mine I was the same, I kept changing from one setting back to the other and thinking I couldnt tell the difference.
Now I've got used to the feel and when to use it, I can appreciate the subtlety of the system.
I tend to use comfort and auto through the week and dynamic and individual from Friday teatime onwards!
It's an expensive option if you include the 19"s but worth it imo

This is why I'm wondering if my mag ride is working. I had it on my TTS a few years back and could definitely tell a difference. With the RS3 I honestly can't tell. And I've tried changing it during a rough surface that I drive on everyday to see if I could tell. Nope. Generally I find it quite a crashy, hard ride.

In terms of ride quality, even in comfort, the mag ride is pretty crashy, there is a noticeable difference between settings however.
Compared to the EDC on my old e90 M3, or the PASM on the Boxster, it is really quite poor to be brutally honest, simply not in the same league from a damping perspective.

My RS3 has the mag ride as did my last S3. One thing I would spec if ordering from new, espically with the state of UK roads.

To repeat the car thuds through ruts in the road in anything other than comfort. Comfort is really soft so if you guys don't notice the difference you have a problem with it imho which needs fixing.

TX.

Mine must need fixing in that case!

I had the TTS 8S prior to the RS3, both with magnetic ride. There's a big difference between the modes in the TTS, not that noticeable in the RS3. I quite like it, the TTS was awesome, but it got a bit too stiff in dynamic sometimes. I think the RS3 is spot on in Dynamic, not too harsh. Can be hard to tell the difference in the RS3, especially if you compare it to something like the TTS though.