Magnetic Ride

In terms of ride quality, even in comfort, the mag ride is pretty crashy, there is a noticeable difference between settings however.
Compared to the EDC on my old e90 M3, or the PASM on the Boxster, it is really quite poor to be brutally honest, simply not in the same league from a damping perspective.

Interesting -EDC on my e90 M3 I found too stiff even on its softest setting when at speed (on a long drive to the country or something). It was OK in town, the RS3 settings all seem to be more isolating (comfortable) than the M3 and much better at speed but less controlled at slower speeds with secondary rebound not being well controlled - I actually think the springs could be to blame partially as many who have gone to MSS kits reckon it improves that secondary ride.

Hello,

Anybody knows the car height diference between the two suspensions?

It seems that MR is 10mm higher than the stock one.

Thanks

I haven't measured but I doubt there is any difference between the MR and non-MR cars? The brochure describes it as "Magnetic Ride with RS suspension" versus just "RS suspension".

The MR element doesn't dictate the ride height, it's the suspension. Basic is 'MR with Sport suspension" - that is quoted as 15mm lower than standard. The S gets "MR with S suspension" - that is quoted as 25mm lower than standard. The RS brochure just say "MR with RS suspension" and no comparison to the standard A3.

The mag ride definitely sits higher, mine looked awful before I fitted the H&R's

I've just measured the height to the boot lip on my pre-facelift car with MR and it matches the 663mm shown in the brochure:
IMG 3908

Would anyone without MR on their pre-FL car (and with factory-fit suspension, naturally) care to measure this distance and post the result?

Interestingly, the S3 is quoted as 655mm whilst the A3 is quoted as 677mm.

My view on magnetic ride differs from a lot of people. I tend to think that be that Audi would develop any RS model to have the best handling solution as a standard car, bearing in mind that this is a performance model the everyday ride may be too hard for some so have provided an option with mag ride.
In a lot of car reviews from different manufacturers of performance cars, mag ride only seems to aid everyday comfort rather than enhance handling, I personally am prepared to accept a firm ride as I have made a conscious decision to buy a performance car, on the other hand if everyday comfort is more important then I could understand why people would go for it, if indeed it does improve everyday comfort.

Mag ride is best of both worlds though, comfy over speed bumps hard as nails on smooth tarmac.

TX.

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk

My view on magnetic ride differs from a lot of people. I tend to think that be that Audi would develop any RS model to have the best handling solution as a standard car, bearing in mind that this is a performance model the everyday ride may be too hard for some so have provided an option with mag ride.
In a lot of car reviews from different manufacturers of performance cars, mag ride only seems to aid everyday comfort rather than enhance handling, I personally am prepared to accept a firm ride as I have made a conscious decision to buy a performance car, on the other hand if everyday comfort is more important then I could understand why people would go for it, if indeed it does improve everyday comfort.

This is my thoughts entirely. In Evo Magazine, they stated that Mag ride was only to aid comfort. The standard suspension is better for the cars handling.

That comment confirmed my thoughts regarding Mag ride.

They also stated that the Saloon handled better than the SB due to the lower centre of gravity and better weight distribution. Not that the average man on the street would ever notice, but it's good to know.

Mag ride is best of both worlds though, comfy over speed bumps hard as nails on smooth tarmac.

TX.

Also my thoughts.

I do not have mag ride, but now wish I did. I blame Audi for [yet again] making this an option rather than have it as standard. A firm suspension is just what one does not need on a long family drive as it just ends up making everyone sick. Audi provide a 'comfort' setting that reduces the noise, they should also have made mag ride standard and had this to also kick in with comfort mode, thus making the car ;best of both worlds' which I believe they wanted to set out and achieve.

I am not sure that the benefits of mag ride is set out as clearly as should be in pre-sales. Certainly the larger more comfortable cars make a bigger thing of the feature.

Reactions: Terminator x
Standard item in the S3 and optional in the RS model.

Typical Audi, getting it the wrong way around.

Chalk me up another person who cannot tell much, if any, difference between suspension modes.

I am right in saying that Mag Ride is deployed automatically in Comfort Mode, right? Which makes absolute sense.

Therefore:

Comfort Mode: No valve, quieter, Mag Ride, more comfy

Auto: I have no idea what this is or does :) Anybody help?

Individual: Have it set to Dynamic everything but Suspension is set to Auto. Does that sound right?

Dynamic: Loud, harsh and fast.

Another thing..... The 'S'.
Am I right in saying that if you put the car in Drive, as usual, and then select Dynamic Mode there is no reason at all to then move it to S?
Therefore, the S really only comes into play when one is in non-Dynamic mode and not using the paddles and just wants more response and a bit of noise?

Mostly, I only drive the car in two ways: In Comfort and drive like a granny or in Dynamic and use the paddles.

You might feel the mag ride on a longer trip that included bumpy roads - try mag ride 'on' in one direction and 'off' on the return. You should feel it more comfortable with it 'on'. Here I am saying this and not having the option! But on the more larger comfort cars I drive, I find this to be the case.

In fact I think mag ride is always on - the switch just changes the power to the coil to produce more magnetism for the fluid.

Auto changes the steering to be more positive - as I understand it.

I am a bit bored with all the variances now. I just drive in D/S and change the gearlever between D and S when I want more response (S) and cruise (D). I hate to say it, but I am even getting bored with the extreme noise - the odd pop is ok - and find the burble in D is actually a preferable understatement of the power available...

Reactions: Evotion
Here you go - its all explained!

And in action!

Reactions: Evotion
Standard item in the S3 and optional in the RS model.

Typical Audi, getting it the wrong way around.

It isn't standard, it's compulsory to add it with 19" wheels. Order 19" wheels and you have to pay the extra £995 for mag ride

Chalk me up another person who cannot tell much, if any, difference between suspension modes.

I am right in saying that Mag Ride is deployed automatically in Comfort Mode, right? Which makes absolute sense.

Therefore:

Comfort Mode: No valve, quieter, Mag Ride, more comfy

Auto: I have no idea what this is or does :) Anybody help?

Individual: Have it set to Dynamic everything but Suspension is set to Auto. Does that sound right?

Dynamic: Loud, harsh and fast.

Another thing..... The 'S'.
Am I right in saying that if you put the car in Drive, as usual, and then select Dynamic Mode there is no reason at all to then move it to S?
Therefore, the S really only comes into play when one is in non-Dynamic mode and not using the paddles and just wants more response and a bit of noise?

Mostly, I only drive the car in two ways: In Comfort and drive like a granny or in Dynamic and use the paddles.

Auto is described in the manual as adjusting to suit your driving at that instance but basically it is happy medium between comfort and dynamic. Auto is slightly firmer then comfort on the suspension but comfortable.

The S in the gearbox changes the way the box works totally, in all modes. When you select dynamic the gearbox automatically changes to S but this is no good for normal driving. It stays in gears for longer and higher up the revs which is no good for gentle driving. It's super sensitive to kick down and changes down earlier so you can get the pops while in automatic. Next time you're driving, change into S and the car will drop two gears and the responsiveness is improved vastly.

S is good for when in normal modes and want to overtake too, you get the most out of the engine in that mode.

Reactions: Terminator x and Evotion
It isn't standard, it's compulsory to add it with 19" wheels. Order 19" wheels and you have to pay the extra £995 for mag ride
Then, if this is the case, this shows how screwed up Audi really is!
Must have it with 19" wheels on the S3? So why an option on the RS3 where 19" is standard - instant proof methinks that Audi know how to screw money out of people for no reason!

Must have it with 19" wheels on the S3? So why an option on the RS3 where 19" is standard - instant proof methinks that Audi know how to screw money out of people for no reason!
You needed more proof?!

Confused.

S3 Saloon only comes with 19" wheels so mag ride is standard fit, 19's and MR free.

S3 saloon has 19's and mag ride as standard. Sportback does not. Has 18's as standard and no mag ride.

Reactions: Leo-RS
Also, someone mentioned you couldn't spec black styling pack with Panther black. I've just configured a sportback to my exact spec and it allowed me to do that. £52k ish. Looks way too similar for me to justify a change at that price.

The configurator also makes Panther black look gash. It's a stunning black.

Yes, must have been an early Configurator glitch as you weren't able to spec Panther and Black pack together a couple of weeks ago.

Standard on saloon S3 which came with 19" wheels. Not standard on RS3 though which also came with 19" wheels!

TX.

Also, someone mentioned you couldn't spec black styling pack with Panther black. I've just configured a sportback to my exact spec and it allowed me to do that. £52k ish. Looks way too similar for me to justify a change at that price.

The configurator also makes Panther black look gash. It's a stunning black.

I have Panther on my pfl S3 Sportback with the black pack.
It looks stunning when the sun's out but you still have to look at it from the right angle, just a shame there aren't enough of those days in the UK as it's just a black at any other time

Reactions: D0C

Yep it is true, I have it on mine.

What's better is, I wanted the extended leather in the RS and it has to be bought with the side assist pack.. mental concept! Dealer wouldn't fight it either so to get better value I ended up going for the full driver assist pack.

Confused.

S3 Saloon only comes with 19" wheels so mag ride is standard fit, 19's and MR free.

S3 saloon has 19's and mag ride as standard. Sportback does not. Has 18's as standard and no mag ride.

Standard on saloon S3 which came with 19" wheels. Not standard on RS3 though which also came with 19" wheels!

TX.

Yep true, also something I've noticed. There is a price premium on the Saloon of around £1000? The Saloon is a 'better' specified car as standard for these reasons alone.

Maybe there is a considerable difference between the S3 and RS standard suspension to not require mag ride with 19's? The only explanation for needing mag ride with 19's is Audi were afraid of ruining comfort.

Yep it is true, I have it on mine.

What's better is, I wanted the extended leather in the RS and it has to be bought with the side assist pack.. mental concept! Dealer wouldn't fight it either so to get better value I ended up going for the full driver assist pack.

Eh? I think your dealer is having you on.

I have the extended leather interior pack ordered on mine with no side assist pack.

Play with the Configurator just now and add the Supersports with extended and there's no such stipulation. There must be something else in your order forcing you to side assist.

Edit, the only thing I can find is the Driver assistance pack (for adaptive CC) that forces you to add the £500 Side assist option.

Last edited:
Eh? I think your dealer is having you on.

I have the extended leather interior pack ordered on mine with no side assist pack.

Play with the Configurator just now and add the Supersports with extended and there's no such stipulation. There must be something else in your order forcing you to side assist.

Edit, the only thing I can find is the Driver assistance pack (for adaptive CC) that forces you to add the £500 Side assist option.

He said when they ticked the options it said that you need to have side assist, I argued it and he didn't offer to speak to anyone etc.. really j helpful on that front.

Oh well, swung me into the driver assist pack.

He said also that they get no extra commission for RS sales, which is odd. He said maybe an RS6/R8 but otherwise no.

I've just measured the height to the boot lip on my pre-facelift car with MR and it matches the 663mm shown in the brochure:
View attachment 130750

Would anyone without MR on their pre-FL car (and with factory-fit suspension, naturally) care to measure this distance and post the result?

Interestingly, the S3 is quoted as 655mm whilst the A3 is quoted as 677mm.

The larger rolling radius (compared to the standard S3) of the 19 inch 235 wheel / tyres accounts for 5mm of this.

Reactions: dbm
Talked to my dealer and according to that sales person the magnetic ride is harder in dynamic than the standard suspension you get with the RS3, and softer in comfort ofc.

Bit like what the owners above said then ;)

TX.