Magnetic ride vs Standard suspension

Uknowwho

Reaction score
G'day all from Brisbane, Australia :)

Just over a month ago now I purchased a new Audi S3 sportback. The base model in Australia is very well equipped only really missing magnetic ride, sports seats and the sound system. I was in love with the car as soon as I took drove it out from the dealership.

Unfortunately I was involved in a rather nasty accident and the car was declared as a write-off. Luckily insurance covered me and I have already received my payout however it seems demand for the S3 in Australia is fairly high at present and there are no stock S3's available within the next 3 months so instead I placed a deposit on a S3 with the full performance pack that included magnetic ride.

I was wondering if anyone here has experienced mag ride and would be able to tell me if it changes the driving experience as much as the sales person told me it would (i.e. more comfortable ride during day-to-day driving, more sporty drive for dynamic driving) and it enhances the experience of owning an S3?

PS: I'm pretty sure I wrote off the first S3 in the **** Pacific :(

Thanks,
James

Last edited:

I was wondering if anyone here has experienced mag ride and would be able to tell me if it changes the driving experience as much as the sales person told me it would (i.e. more comfortable ride during day-to-day driving, more sporty drive for dynamic driving) and it enhances the experience of owning an S3?

James

Firstly, sorry to hear about your accident. Glad you are ok.

Secondly, was in Brisbane as part of my honeymoon. Great city - we loved it!

Lastly, I don't have an S3. However, my Golf does have magnetic ride (ACC). It helps a little bit with ride comfort and I can certainly tell the difference between sport and comfort mode. Though I think that changing my tyres almost made as much difference to overall comfort. At the end of the day I still have sports suspension with 17 inch tyres. So I have accepted that it's a sporty car and it's never going to be truely comfortable.

I tend to just leave the car in comfort mode. I read that, over 0.6G the system will automatically activate to give better control. I'm sure the Audi system is the same?

How did you find the ride comfort of the S3 you had?

Just over a month ago now I purchased a new Audi S3 sportback.
Unfortunately I was involved in a rather nasty accident and the car was declared as a write-off.

That is the saddest story I have heard on this entire forum :(

Reactions: SlightlyYapper, Daz Auto and Lmg
VW's ACC (also known as DCC) is a very different system to Audi's Magnetic Ride system. See link for a better explanation of the differences between the two: Scirocco Central • View topic - ACC vs Audi Mag Ride

Thanks pat.

So my VW suspension system is very different. Some reviews recommended it for bad roads. Though it is far from comfortable IMO.

Will have to read more on this - when I get the chance. Will post anything I find.

Reactions: mw1978
Would have been able to tell you if Audi had not forgotten to put the mag ride in my car.
Not too worried now as most reports are not that complimentary about it.
This seems to be reflected in the number (or lack of the numbers) who have spec'd it here; check the sticky S3 register to see how many have.

Hi Daz, With Australian roads being generally terrible the standard suspension could be quite bumpy and uncomfortable, but hey I didn't buy the car for that :)

In Australia most auto-reviewers have recommended the mag ride as an option "Ride too jiggly on standard dampers, making optional ($1600) adjustable suspension a must" - CarAdvice Aus.

I have never test driven a car with magnetic ride on it however and don't seem to be able to get my hands on one prior to the one I've ordered arriving so I'm not to sure what it will be like.

Last edited:
Just got back from my first trip with mag ride. I have to say I had my doubts but it has proven me wrong. There is a noticeable change in feel between the modes and they seem to have the balance just right. Comfort is, well, comfortable and dynamic is just the right side of jarring. The car stays very stable in acceleration, braking and cornering. I'm afraid it is my first Audi though so I cannot comment on how it compares to the standard, sport or S-Line suspension.

Any more thoughts / opinions on this subject as the S3's with & without Audi magnetic ride have been around a bit longer now :uhm:

When I ordered my car, the dealer was reading out the options. When He came to mag ride, I think the look on my face answered his question before he finished the sentence.

Hi I have mag ride on my S3 8P and I have to say the difference is very noticeable, I only have two settings on or off.
When mag ride is turned on it sharpens the hole car up (handling wise) but is still not to firm. When I upgrade to a S3 8V I will be ticking the options box for mag ride, hope this helps.

Have pondered this for a while but just added this to my build spec I'm interested in the whole integration with Audi Drive Select so as a gadget guy will be interested to see how it performs. Not interested in any suspension mods further down the line as this seems to count a lot towards having it or not.

I had 2 TT's one with and one without.... You can switch off the Mag Ride, well I was told on the TT forum its never actually completely off, and the ride is a lot more bearable. The only time I had the Mag Ride switched fully on was on Motorways or fast A Roads with roundabouts.

I don't miss it on my S3!

I thought the point of magnetic ride was to make it more comfortable to be in, why do people turn it off?

I find Audi's suspension way too crashy for the terrible state of UK roads.
I have specced magnetic ride on the last few cars, and it makes a huge difference.
When it is in dynamic, it feels the same as the standard S3's setup.
In comfort, it is a much more forgiving ride, and much less jarring when you are driving around town.

Highly recommended!

...and I think now standard on the UK spec S3 Saloon!

Reactions: Dave-o and Rob2k68
Its main attraction is (caveat 19" wheels) for those who want to do track work, or where the roads are well tarmac'd and smooth (not the UK).
In sport mode it stiffens up the dampers, suiting high speed (smooth) track work. Not really great for UK roads.

However- one of the reasons for making Mag Ride a "must have" option when spec'ing 19" is to do with ride quality.
In comfort mode, the suspension is far better suited/able to deal with the harder/harsher ride that results of putting 19's on.

Audi traditionally have been not great at hard/stiff suspension. Previous S/RS cars have just been un-drivable when switched to sport/dynamic suspension mode, far too harsh. But they seem to have mellowed with the S3 8V - an improvement.

The active dampers on the (insert name of car here) R aren't the same (not mag ride) as the active dampers on the S3, they are a hydraulic electromechanical control system, as opposed to magnetic control - but seem to provide a better ride quality.

Reactions: Rob2k68
Good news for me then, as the roads here are as smooth as glass. My concern was the mag ride would offer better spirited driving dynamics than standard suspension.

I find Audi's suspension way too crashy for the terrible state of UK roads.
I have specced magnetic ride on the last few cars, and it makes a huge difference.
In comfort, it is a much more forgiving ride, and much less jarring when you are driving around town.

The mag ride in my TTS stiffened up the suspension nicely if I was pressing on, on undulating B roads especially.
Now I've started exploring what the S3 can do I'm finding that I'm missing the ability stiffen things to limit the bouncing on fast undulating roads.
If, as intimated above, the mag ride in the S3 stiffens up a softer ride to the standard S3's it seems you would spec it on it's ability to offer a softer option, not to give better handling as was the original purpose, as I understood it.

Reactions: Rob2k68
What? The S3 suspension is pitchy and bouncy?

Nobody told me. Outraged.

Reactions: Pulp84
Be careful boys - we all know what's happens when we highlight the suspension issues.

Golf R?

Shhhhhh

Don't mention the G word.

I mentioned it once, but I think I got away with it.

Reactions: Pulp84
Whoops - I dropped the G bomb :(

Reactions: veeeight
Yes, for me I specced it to give a softer option for around town - where I spend at least half my time.

I very rarely use dynamic - for me that would be a track day setting.
I have individual setup with dynamic engine and comfort suspension and that works great for me around town, then when I hit the motorway, I just move it to auto and it works great!

I certainly don't find any of the modes bouncy!!!

Reactions: Simon L and Rob2k68
Shhhhhh

Don't mention the G word.

I mentioned it once, but I think I got away with it.
... no, no you didn't!

Well since you mentioned it (and I can't sleep waiting for Santa): It occurred to me when I was driving the A3 - without my wife in it - that the A3 SE 1.6L 105PS could comfortably be driven faster on our roads than my Mk6 Golf GTD with a 170PS engine. The reason for this is because the A3 has suspension/tyres that are much better at soaking up the bumps. There is one point on the drive into town where I braced myself - as I would instinctively do in the Golf. The A3 sailed over the road repair - me sitting with all my muscles tensed waiting for the almighty bump that did not happen. What speed was I doing? 60mph!

So comparatively speaking 'comfort mode' in my Mk6 Golf is sh1t!

But I do love how my car goes. That is I why I am interested in the A3 because it is possible to delete the sport suspension and even have 17 inch tyres with the 184ps engine. Options that are not available on the GTD. However, the Mk7 GTD does have the new version of the DCC which promises 'better' comfort even on 18inch tyres. Given the harsh ride of my current Golf on our roads, I will remain sceptical...

Reactions: veeeight
I remember someone said this about the Mk6 adaptive chassis control... they were wrong!

"Another upgrade worth considering is the adaptive chassis control fitted to our test car. It’s an extra £795, but gives the hot hatch limousine-like comfort. VW has overhauled the system for the Mk7 with new, beefier, faster-acting dampers, which can now operate independently across an axle, unlike those on the previous-generation GTI. With the system set in Comfort mode, the Golf smoothed out the bumpy access road to our racing circuit. Yet even in Sport mode, the car felt far comfier than rivals.

Don’t go thinking this means the GTI is soft, though. The Golf’s MQB platform is a great starting point for a fine-handling car, but the GTI is lowered by 15mm and has 30 per cent stiffer springs and larger anti-roll bars."

Read more: http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/volkswagen/golf/63631/volkswagen-golf-gti-performance-pack#ixzz3MstMVQP2

Well since you mentioned it (and I can't sleep waiting for Santa): It occurred to me when I was driving the A3 - without my wife in it - that the A3 SE 1.6L 105PS could comfortably be driven faster on our roads than my Mk6 Golf GTD with a 170PS engine. The reason for this is because the A3 has suspension/tyres that are much better at soaking up the bumps. There is one point on the drive into town where I braced myself - as I would instinctively do in the Golf. The A3 sailed over the road repair - me sitting with all my muscles tensed waiting for the almighty bump that did not happen.

Well, you are comparing A3 SE suspension with Golf GTD suspension! Something designed to be soft with something designed to be hard!

A3 SE suspension is excellent, you try driving that road of yours in a S3 without mag ride, and you'll have a sore head cos it'll have hit the headlining!

Last edited:
I have driven both the S3's with and without Mag Ride. Choose the non-Mag ride. You can feel the difference but it was not enough for me to pay for it. Dynamic on the standard S3 feels raw enough anyway... Purchased an 2016 S3 this yr (US Sedan). Love it. Traded away the 2014 VW GLI w/APR stage 1 tune. No regrets. Personal I have never driven the G word (dealers did not allow) so can not comment on the ride/performance and do not really care for the hatchbacks look anyway. It would never make me happy and isn't that the point of a car? Also the Fender system in the VW pales in comparison to the B&O. Performance and Tunes go together in my book. And by the way its tires not tyres. lol

I'm on stock 19" and mag suspension here in Canada, and I live in Dynamic in a 2015 S3. can't stand Comfort myself, feels like there's not enough shock absorbers at any of the corners - although I will go Comfort if I have a car full of family. I'd be fine with a further Track mode. speed bumps are awful on the rear suspension in Dynamic - it crashes and bangs away.

I think I may have resurrected this car. New driver side running gear, wing, bonnet & bumper.

Stage 2 components springs, wheels and so on..... Sad story made good?

I think I may have resurrected this car. New driver side running gear, wing, bonnet & bumper.

Stage 2 components springs, wheels and so on..... Sad story made good?
Sounds bad what happened ? any pics??

Sounds bad what happened ? any pics??

Can't go into too much detail but car was bought at Auction a a very low 3,500kms and possibly one of the first to be in an accident. No chassis damage, just mechanical replacement and cosmetics. Looks and drives 100%. Saved me 20k but was hassle to arrange. Looking forward to amping up the performance (parts in the garage ready to go on) and some years ahead of motoring ahead.

Of course, rocking the passive dampers...

Reactions: Wondering Soul and pburv
Can't go into too much detail but car was bought at Auction a a very low 3,500kms and possibly one of the first to be in an accident. No chassis damage, just mechanical replacement and cosmetics. Looks and drives 100%. Saved me 20k but was hassle to arrange. Looking forward to amping up the performance (parts in the garage ready to go on) and some years ahead of motoring ahead.

Of course, rocking the passive dampers...
Good luck with the rebuild..
Still would like to see pics.(before and after:whistle2:)

Reactions: Wondering Soul