Magnetic ride...views

Joetidman

Reaction score
I've noticed very few people have specced Mag ride, and just wondered the reason why? Also for those that have, what's your view, do you use the settings much and does comfort improve the ride?

Not tried on A3/S3 but have on TT and R8. It's good but not worth the money IMHO .

At a guess.... £1k

I was going to spec. it, but decided it was an awful lot of money....

I have it on my TT and think it is worth it. Test drove the A3 with sline suspension and thought the ride was definitely harsher than in my TT in comfort setting. It is quite a pricey add on but for me, I would spec it again.

I have it on my TT and think it is worth it. Test drove the A3 with sline suspension and thought the ride was definitely harsher than in my TT in comfort setting. It is quite a pricey add on but for me, I would spec it again.

Thats interesting. Did you think the slime suspension closer to the 'standard' setting on mag ride then?

I'd say the sline suspension feels half way between magnetic ride's comfort and sport settings. Very much a personal choice but for me the sline suspension felt too firm and jiggly on our roads. Mag ride on comfort mode is I suspect more akin to the sport/non sline suspension....

I'd say the sline suspension feels half way between magnetic ride's comfort and sport settings. Very much a personal choice but for me the sline suspension felt too firm and jiggly on our roads. Mag ride on comfort mode is I suspect more akin to the sport/non sline suspension....

Good to know, I have the VW equivalent on my Scirocco currently (which I think is different tech) and generally have it in comfort, which can be annoying as you can't have an individual setup and you the miss the quicker throttle response of sport unless you switch

Considered it but decided I'd prefer to get a proper set of coilovers instead. I'm going to hold out for someone to develop an equivalent of K&W's DCC system but to work with Audi's Drive Select system.

tried both and confort mode is more confortable than the sport suspension. my friend with the other A3 agree.

Does anyone regret not adding mag ride to their order? I still have the option to add it, I keep wondering if I should....?

Does anyone regret not adding mag ride to their order? I still have the option to add it, I keep wondering if I should....?

All S3 saloon guy's like it ,the only guy l know who could really answer this for ye is me mate Rob he's got it on his sportsback with 18"s the other's that have it on their sportsbacks don't come on here that often hence mentioned Roberto
Ps if you CAN push your budget upload would spec it with the 19"s as well they look mint on hatchbacks

Reactions: Rob2k68 and Simon L
I have 19"s and Mag and find the setup very good, but its all about how you interpret ride quality.

For me its not feeling every ridge in the tarmac and particularly not having that transmitted through the seat to me.

I also don't like crashing over speed humps, because there isn't enough bump absorption.

Mag in Comfort mode does this well enough for me.

Also, FWIW, Eddie, the chap who just got an S3 (on 18"s I believe) and just tested an RS3 with Mag+19"s, found the later more compliant in Comfort.

Reactions: DeckedS3, Jassyo06 and Simon L
for 995 option and the added weight dont see the worth a set of good coils much better and versatile.

driven with them yes theyre decent but woudlnt pay for myself i prefer static set ups and for handling

Reactions: DeckedS3
This thread can go to 10 pages with everyone giving their views but the only way to be 100% is to compare the exact same car with and without mag ride.

As xbox says, everyone's perception of ride quality will be different.

......we've got all sorts on here, boy-racers who drive in dynamic all the time and the old farts who like a bit of comfort! ;)

Reactions: DeckedS3, DAYTONA 500, Terminator x and 3 others
Hi Guys - I have the S3 saloon and have to say that I think Mag ride is excellent. In dynamic it is as hard as a typical Audi "S" car. Comfort makes a massive difference for both driver and passengers when cruising. This dual character is for me the USP.
The ability to have flexibility in suspension characteristics suits the type of car the A3/S3 is. Half sporty when required but a proper cruiser the majority of the time.

Reactions: DeckedS3, DAYTONA 500 and Simon L
I have 19"s and Mag and find the setup very good, but its all about how you interpret ride quality.

For me its not feeling every ridge in the tarmac and particularly not having that transmitted through the seat to me.

I also don't like crashing over speed humps, because there isn't enough bump absorption.

Mag in Comfort mode does this well enough for me.

Also, FWIW, Eddie, the chap who just got an S3 (on 18"s I believe) and just tested an RS3 with Mag+19"s, found the later more compliant in Comfort.
Hey PS4 0h sorry XBox lol forgot about ye mate having the magride X 19"s

Reactions: xBox and Simon L
To give you a better idea of where I'm coming from. The car is for the missus, put an order in for a new S3 Sportback, it's got a high spec as I want both of us to be able to enjoy it most circumstances. I'll be her car 99% of the time.
What i'm wondering is, is mag ride worth having over the standard springs? I don't want to be dropping coilovers on it, she hates how my car rides so that isn't going to happen. But I keep wondering if its something you can flick between nice smooth in town roads to country lane beaten up tracks and keep a decent level of comfort.
The Ed30 is running standard springs and it's quite harsh out in the country lanes but bearable the majority of the time. Does mag ride offer constant comfort?

Reactions: cpc_s3
I've a Sportback with mag ride and 18s as Jassy said earlier. I did this for two main reasons :-

1. To package protect if I went for 19s later and comfort suffered as a result.
2. Coming from a Seat Leon drive select was pretty pointless without adaptive dampers. On the S3 with S-tronic switching between dynamic and comfort actually meant sense as throttle response, noise, gear change profile and dampers all change.

The problem I had. I'm fairly sure that when you opt for mag ride on the Sportback you get taller springs - remember it is standard on the saloon which has different fenders and 19s standard. I believe this is in order to protect for the 19 inch tyre envelope plus snow chains the net result was that my car sat too high hence rather than sinking 2k+ for 19s on eBay I spent £400 and had it lowered. Mag ride now works fine - if anything better as the bounce I had in comfort going over speed bumps is massively reduced. Most of the time I drive in individual profile with everything in dynamic but with dampers in comfort mode as the springs are maybe 20% harsher ride.

In hind sight I would either go mag ride with 19s or stick with the standard non mag ride setup. It really depends where you are with your budget id certainly rather have tech pack or B&O first over mag ride.

Best to ask for a test ride and see how your missus gets on with standard set up and go from there. It does sound like she may enjoy the comfort of mag ride though if she finds the ED30 harsh - I've not been in one so can't compare I'm afraid.

Reactions: DeckedS3, Jassyo06, Simon L and 1 other person
Ed30??? Had to Google that lol,my mother had the Mkv GTI it was pretty ubrupt on all road surfaces apart from really smooth roads,so the standard set up on the S3 is a lot more compliant,Yip test drive

Reactions: Simon L and Rob2k68
Thanks for the replies. She's got used to the Ed30 but comparing it to my car it glides like butter. It's one of the few things I haven't spec'd on the S3, I keep thinking sod it and adding it anyway. Although I'm not sure about it looking like it's been jacked up... I'm not up for tinkering too much with this one.

Definite improvement IMHO. You get added comfort around town as many have pointed out, but one of the greatest benefits is going over the whoop-de-dos. Better control over undulating roads was a major reason for it's development and why top sports car manufacturers are adopting this tech. Development video explains:

Reactions: Ignition1
I have mag ride and leave in comfort but wonder whether this means it's actually off and better in auto ? Only when going round corners car does lean and roll too much. Mine is 3door on standard eighteen wheels.

I have mag ride and leave in comfort but wonder whether this means it's actually off and better in auto ? Only when going round corners car does lean and roll too much. Mine is 3door on standard eighteen wheels.

No its definitely not "off". Comfort is still very active, controlling front-to-rear, rear-to-front and side-to-side pitching.

IMO, it simply prioritises ride compliance by allowing more travel, rather than trying to maintain body control by limiting travel.

Reactions: Martinbanshee, cpc_s3 and Rob2k68
Definite improvement IMHO. You get added comfort around town as many have pointed out, but one of the greatest benefits is going over the whoop-de-dos. Better control over undulating roads was a major reason for it's development and why top sports car manufacturers are adopting this tech. Development video explains:

That's a decent video - not seen one like that comparing them properly. Though looks like it was made in 1996...

Last edited by a moderator:
I've gone for it on the RS3 ....

I felt the standard suspension was VERY firm - maybe due to 19" rims.

The mag ride in comfort felt much more supple and compliant without feeling spongy or wallowy.

It was much better than mag ride I had in my TTS previously so I think Audi have worked on it over the years to make it better.

For riding speed bumps on my housing estate alone I felt it was needed but even on roads I could appreciate the benefit.

Sport mode is for flat roads or race tracks only IMO but cornering speed is immense :)

I have mag and 19's and do not regret it at all... It came into its own on an unsurfaced (about to be re-tarmacc'ed) road. My friend has a SB without mag and his car is horrible on this road compared to mine (HB). We both have to drive this same road everyday and this is when I have noticed the difference the most as we can do an immediate comparison.

My advice - if you don't spec it, do not go in a car with it and you will never miss it. :)

Reactions: Rob2k68
I feel a fixed suspension like I have in my A3 with the Sports Suspension can't be that bad.
I think I might have got used to my ride feel, although I had my A3 for a year now. I long since switched out the stock 18" spokes with aftermarkets with ET35, giving my car a wider stance. It's been handling quite well.

If I had magnetic ride I would not keep it in comfort mode. I've used that drive select mode on my magnetic-less ride and it burns fuel faster than Auto.

If I had magnetic ride I would not keep it in comfort mode. I've used that drive select mode on my magnetic-less ride and it burns fuel faster than Auto.

Umm, Individual?

Reactions: Forbzeeee