Magnetic Ride on S3 Sedan?

terapati

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm looking forward to order an S3 Sedan, but I'm quite confused about what I've read so far. So I'd like to ask a question for those who ever tried magnetic ride and standart sport suspension on S3 Sedan and/or who has already have this option on their S3 Sedan;

When the magnetic ride option is on the comfort mode, is it really more comfortable than standart sport suspension? In addition, when the option is on the dynamic mode, is it more rough than the standart sport suspension?

I'll use the car generally in highways but most them have not a smooth surface, I've a little bit concern about the standart sport suspension could be much more bouncy drive than I expect. And unfortunately I don't have a chance to try before I order the car. So is it a good idea to order the car with magnetic ride?

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

I've S3 3door with MagRide. I was in the same decision as you.

For the moment, I have not found much difference between 2 modes. I don't have test normal suspensión but my dealer told me there was a very little difference between it. I think he was right.

I have a S3 sportback with magnetic and I think the differences are marked. The comfort is much softer with resulting roll in roundabouts so I usually stick in auto which seems to tighten it up. I use comfort mainly when chauffering elderly relatives about. These modes are great I think - give you 5 different cars to play with dependant on mood etc.

I have a S3 sportback with magnetic and I think the differences are marked. The comfort is much softer with resulting roll in roundabouts so I usually stick in auto which seems to tighten it up. I use comfort mainly when chauffering elderly relatives about. These modes are great I think - give you 5 different cars to play with dependant on mood etc.

?

There are 3 differents mods which affects suspensión: Auto, Comfort and Dynamic.

Got Mag ride on mine and usually have it in Auto, I would say the difference is most noticable when you stick it in Dynamic, the shocks do tighten up quite a bit. Have only had it in Comfort a couple of times but it does feel a bit bouncier.

Never had an Audi before so can't really compare to the standard suspension options but I would say that there are real tangible changes in the car with the Mag Ride settings and it makes the Drive Select modes a bit more distinctive.

?

There are 3 differents mods which affects suspensión: Auto, Comfort and Dynamic.
When in individual you have three ride choices. My last sentence is about drive select which I switch with the steering wheel button. 5 different cars. Not certain what suspension does in efficiency.

Hi,

I've S3 3door with MagRide. I was in the same decision as you.

For the moment, I have not found much difference between 2 modes. I don't have test normal suspensión but my dealer told me there was a very little difference between it. I think he was right.

Thanks Fiddie, I don't think our dealers have reliable info on it unfortunately. How about your road surface you tried both modes?

Thanks gpbeck, actually one of my concern about driving comfort. I know this is sportier car than the usual models but I think tight suspensions can be disturbing on our roads. So as I understand from your reply, comfort mode can be useful on rough roads and also can be good for my wife who is driving Q3 mostly and Q3 has very comfortable driving feel. Am I right?

Got Mag ride on mine and usually have it in Auto, I would say the difference is most noticable when you stick it in Dynamic, the shocks do tighten up quite a bit. Have only had it in Comfort a couple of times but it does feel a bit bouncier.

Never had an Audi before so can't really compare to the standard suspension options but I would say that there are real tangible changes in the car with the Mag Ride settings and it makes the Drive Select modes a bit more distinctive.

Thanks for additional info BGS. As I see on your configuration, you don't have sport suspension on your A3? S3 Sedan is lowered about 25mm than yours. So maybe it can cause a little bit less bounce than you feel on comfort mode?

Reactions: Itguy
if your roads in Turkey are as bad as some of our Australian country roads I would go with the Magnetic suspension. In Australia, it is included in a Performance Pack option, and as I live in the countryside I am glad I have it. Most of the time I have it in Automatic, except on really bad dirt roads where I use Comfort. Most Australian Road Testers have stated that the Magnetic suspension is better for our bumpy roads. I include two quotes and links to the reviews.

"We sampled both an Audi S3 Sportback with standard fixed dampers and with adjustable magnetic ride....In this case the optional dampers are a must. The ride on standard suspension is far too jiggly and sensitive to surface changes. It’s a testimony to the brilliance of the magnetic dampers that Comfort mode is the ideal selection. There’s none of the floatiness too often associated with settings that aim to be the most comfortable but are actually induce sea sickness on Australia’s poor roads. Instead, the S3 Sportback is permitted to breathe over undulations while better isolating the cabin from harsh imperfections and still remaining secure at all times." (Audi S3 Sportback Review | CarAdvice)

" But the S3 Sportback with the S Performance pack’s Audi Magnetic Ride adaptive dampers was the pick of the bunch. In fact the Magnetic Ride-equipped S3 was astonishingly good in those conditions. Corner after corner, hairpin or fast-flowing the S3 gripped, pointed, responded and gave brilliant feedback with the steering slightly heavier in feel." (2013 Audi S3 Sportback Review and First Drive | CarShowroom.com.au)

Reactions: terapati
Thanks for additional info BGS. As I see on your configuration, you don't have sport suspension on your A3? S3 Sedan is lowered about 25mm than yours. So maybe it can cause a little bit less bounce than you feel on comfort mode?[/QUOTE]

Oh I do have the Sport Suspension. But you are quite right, there will be some difference in the ride height on the A3/S3, i think that would make it 10mm?

@barwon, thanks a lot for the reviews. I don't know anything about Australian roads but I think your comment would fit my concern.

@BGS, actually I don't know about that. But in fact, there should be some difference I suppose.

@BGS, one of the forum member (@DaytonaStu) talked about it on other topic,

The standard S-Line suspension is 15mm lower than the SE, S-Line Sport is 25mm lower than SE.

Magnetic Ride is standard in the UK on the S3 Saloon.... Is that not the case in Turkey??