Magnetic ride in comfort vs standard sports suspension

drummerdimitri

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am still not sure whether or not to spec magnetic ride.

I have driven an s3 with the standard suspension and found the ride to be as firm as I can tolerate.

The roads here are very bad with potholes, cracks, uneven surfaced and bumps all over the place so I am afraid I will not like the sports suspension on the long run.

Can anyone who has driven both cars with and without magnetic ride comment on whether or not mag ride in comfort will be a more shock absorbing ride than the standard suspension?

Also, how does mag ride in dynamic mode compare to the standard suspension?

And lastly, is the standard suspension closer to the mag ride in comfort or dynamic?

Thanks.

I had the s-line suspension in my A3 which i think is similar to the standard S3 setup ride wise (i realise the actual metal bits are different) and i find that the comfort setting on mag ride is quite a bit more comfortable. It does make it a little bit bouncy though. Dynamic on mag ride is great for when the roads allow a bit of sportiness :)

I test drove an S3 Saloon (which has Mag Ride as standard) and a TT S-Line (without) back to back. I didn't really notice a lot of difference, but I also found the SLine suspension just fine (have had an SLine A4 for 9 years with it)

I test drove an S3 Saloon (which has Mag Ride as standard) and a TT S-Line (without) back to back. I didn't really notice a lot of difference, but I also found the SLine suspension just fine (have had an SLine A4 for 9 years with it)

Thanks but comparing apples to oranges isn't the best strategy here.

You'll soon tire of the standard ride on the S3. I sold mine after 8 months and chopped it in for an S-Line A3 because of the unforgiving standard suspension - fine on the motorway but on our pot-holed A and B roads it shook your fillings out. Mag ride is worth every penny and I wish I'd spent the money on that instead of a pano roof.

Reactions: Daz Auto
I have owned both a S3 with mag ride and one with standard set up. Found the standard too bouncy if pressing on and a bit unforgiving. In contrast the comfort setting on mag ride is slightly softer than the standard set up and firmer in Auto or dynamic.

Ok so should i get the magnetic ride? Only problem is the fact that I want all the damn options on this car and a little over budget with the 2200$ option. I am also not willing to remove any options so this is a bit of a crappy situation.

From your original comment I would suggest you really SHOULD order mag ride as it's a big risk not to. If you need to remove any other options then I am sure there are some that you can more easily decide if you can live without before purchasing the car.

From your original comment I would suggest you really SHOULD order mag ride as it's a big risk not to. If you need to remove any other options then I am sure there are some that you can more easily decide if you can live without before purchasing the car.

I would rather pay 2200$ extra than have buyers remorse and sell the car a few months down the road because of its bad ride quality.

I really hope there will be a significant improvement over the stock suspension.

I had severe doubts over the ride quality of the Mercedes A-Class a couple of years ago and to put it simply - ended my interest in one!

I had the s-line suspension in my A3 which i think is similar to the standard S3 setup ride wise (i realise the actual metal bits are different) and i find that the comfort setting on mag ride is quite a bit more comfortable. It does make it a little bit bouncy though. Dynamic on mag ride is great for when the roads allow a bit of sportiness :)

I own an S3 with the standard suspension and I've been driving an Sline A3, I can tell you that the S3's suspension is much firmer.

I would personally opt for Mag ride, the S3 suspension is lovely, but i've heard and read many times that Mag ride really sorts out the ride when going down really rough roads.

My pocket is not going to like this but I don't think I have a choice. Thanks for the advice.

Do you not fancy a saloon? Obviously it costs more to begin with but you do get mag ride as standard and they're sooooo pretty :)

I do fancy a saloon but it costs just as much as the sportsback here and mag ride is not standard on neither cars.

In the end I blew my budget completely as I intend to keep the car for 3 years (a long time for me!) and didn't want any regrets or reasons to bin it off early and change as I think the wife would probably divorce me if I did (I've changed my car a fair bit lately). I like my tech so mag ride was a late addition after B&O and the tech pack. Have to say I'm doing most of my driving in comfort mode and tend to open her up when overtaking in a straight line rather than spirited driving on A and B roads.

Reactions: Simon L and Psyman79
In the end I blew my budget completely as I intend to keep the car for 3 years (a long time for me!) and didn't want any regrets or reasons to bin it off early and change as I think the wife would probably divorce me if I did (I've changed my car a fair bit lately). I like my tech so mag ride was a late addition after B&O and the tech pack. Have to say I'm doing most of my driving in comfort mode and tend to open her up when overtaking in a straight line rather than spirited driving on A and B roads.

I too only care for quick bursts of acceleration and not constant spirited driving so a constantly stiff suspension is not really what I need.
I am glad magnetic ride in comfort mode will add comfort to my daily commutes. I can then firm things up in dynamic mode for spirited driving on winding roads.

Reactions: Rob2k68 and Psyman79
I too only care for quick bursts of acceleration and not constant spirited driving so a constantly stiff suspension is not really what I need.
I am glad magnetic ride in comfort mode will add comfort to my daily commutes. I can then firm things up in dynamic mode for spirited driving on winding roads.

Good man, get that mag ride specced already ;)

I do feel for you guys that have to pay that hefty extra but given what you've said about roads in your area and your driving style I can't believe you'll regret it (more like the other way round if you don't). It was less than 5 mins into my test drive that I was completely sold on it and pretty much every review I've seen or read cites it the stand-out feature :)

Reactions: Psyman79 and Rob2k68
The roads here are very bad with potholes, cracks, uneven surfaced and bumps all over the place so I am afraid I will not like the sports suspension on the long run.
I have exactly the same issue with sports suspension and low profile tyres. As I just said on another thread - fantastic on a good road, awful on a bad road! There are just too many bad roads where I live.

You really need to get a proper test drive, in a car with this fitted, on the roads that you use regularly.

Last edited: