Magnetic Ride - confused.

Brasso

Reaction score
Yes it's another magnetic ride thread, this is certainly not meant to be a what's best thread.

I've read all the FAQ's on Mag Ride and its left me asking questions which my dealer seems unable to answer.

1. Is the comfort setting softer than the standard setup on a SB/HB. (I've only test driven a saloon so have nothing to compare).

2. Is the dynamic setting firmer than the standard setup. I noticed it was firmer in the saloon but again nothing to compare it to.

Forums seems to suggest yes to both questions. But can't find anything from Audi that sets out or quantifies the actual differences.

3. Looking at the configurator you can spec mag ride without 19" wheels, is this correct?

I liked both setting on the saloon but don't think I like the standard 19's as options on the SB/HB. Would prefer the saloon wheels but that doesn't seem a viable option so would stick to the 18's which I really like

4. So finally I understand the magnetic ride is on the saloon to make the ride more comfortable with 19's. Assuming I'm correct on Q3. What's the ride like in a SB/ HB on 18's with Magnetic Ride?

Not sure if it'll full answer your question but, i find that mag ride on comfort setting is more comfortable than the s-line setup on my A3, similar to my mates A3 sport on the standard sport suspension. Mag ride in dynamic setting is obviously more harsh but i don't think its any less comfortable than my S-line was.

Si.

Reactions: Brasso
1. Yes
2. Yes
3. Yes
4. Softer in Comfort, Hard (but not crashy) in Dynamic. Still a bit jarring on non smooth roads. (Previous 8P S-Line was not one of Audi's greatest suspension achievements, not as bad as that).

The standard non mag ride dampers on the HB/SB are not great, they are pitchy/jiggly/bouncy, unpredictable in compression/rebound which is not good if you're trying to drive the car properly, especially on undulating roads.

See this for various owners feedback on the dampers:
http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/s3-or-golf-r-or-even-an-s1.219948/page-7#post-2320334

Last edited:
Reactions: Pulp84 and Rob2k68
I like the optional 19's. If they were the same fitment i'd swap you my standard 19" S3 saloon wheels :)

See - I asked the dealer whether Magnetic ride could provide a softer ride than 'SE suspension' when in Comfot Mode, and he replied with a very empathic "No". Yet another dealer said he wasn't sure. The brochure is somewhat lacking in details.

Hmmm. I wouldn't say that a S3 Mag Ride in comfort mode is softer than SE !

Everybody has a different measure of whats acceptable to them or what feels soft or firm (!) - so really, the only way is to try it out for yourself!

I'm about 12 miles from Northampton. Asked the dealer if they have a second hand SB without Mag ride that I can try. I know they had a couple in the group when I last popped in. Tried a couple of other dealers but no joy. See what they come back with.

Hmmm. I wouldn't say that a S3 Mag Ride in comfort mode is softer than SE !

Everybody has a different measure of whats acceptable to them or what feels soft or firm (!) - so really, the only way is to try it out for yourself!

Compared with the last Megane I was used to anything is quite comfortable to be honest. See what the dealer comes back with about test drive options.

I have mag ride on my S3 sb and have come from MK7 Golf GTI with adaptive dampers.I was surprised how compliant the S3 is as the Golf always got good reviews of its ride quality.The only negative is how bouncy the car is going over speed bumps.Hope this helps.

Reactions: Brasso and Rob2k68
Good to have some owner feedback and useful comparison to other vehicles :icon thumright:

Well managed to get out this morning in a car without the mag ride running 18" rims.

I can defiantly say the standard ride is slightly harsher than the mag ride on comfort setting. Not too much in it but just a little.

Car was in a metallic dark purple. Looked like dark vimto, not seen one of those before.

Reactions: Rob2k68
I have mag ride on my S3 sb and have come from MK7 Golf GTI with adaptive dampers.I was surprised how compliant the S3 is as the Golf always got good reviews of its ride quality.The only negative is how bouncy the car is going over speed bumps.Hope this helps.

I really notice how bouncy it is over speed bumps when set to Auto, so I've changed it to comfort for my regular trip to work and it feels much better over the bumps.

Do you mean crashy instead of bouncy? Bouncy to me kind of implies soft, springy and spongy.

I wouldn't have bought an S3 if magnetic ride wasn't an option - I have people (our company's customers and the boss) in the car from time to time, so it's nice to soften it up for others. :)