mag ride

73pop

Reaction score
With driver select it changes the suspension stiffness ect ect. Is there any way these values can be adjusted
with vag-com or any other software i.e. to make it harder or softer than Audi have set it to?

Unfortunately I am not based in UK. Maybe someone with mag ride in UK can link up with him for him to work his magic?

No, you won't be able to do this unfortunately.

I spoke with @DJAlix he wasn't sure.
It has to have some sort of coding to be able to change the settings on it. Was just a thought that popped into my head while driving.

@sj43 haveyou looked at this? Would be a good thing to be able to do.

I had a look at this a while back when ride heights were mentioned as part of the VCDS information from the mag ride module. That seemed to be an output from a sensor rather than a variable that you could change. The module needed a security code too which my version of the software at the time didn't know. Would be interesting what the parameters are for each drive mode for sure - maybe I'll do an adaptation map next time it's hooked up.

If we can figure out how to do this it would be great. Whilst we're talking ride heights I was wondering if @Rob2k68 has any pics off your car on Eibachs with Mag? Is the ride harsher throughout the different mag ride settings?

Reactions: Rob2k68
If we can figure out how to do this it would be great. Whilst we're talking ride heights I was wondering if @Rob2k68 has any pics off your car on Eibachs with Mag? Is the ride harsher throughout the different mag ride settings?

Yes mate, top one Eibachs just fitted with original 18s and the bottom one is quite recent with 19s so essentially how yours would look. Ride is harsher through the drive settings yes but the lower C of G also makes it feel a more balanced package ........

KMiyuBeF

ISTsQtKk

Reactions: Forbzeeee
If I remember correctly I was supplied with a mag ride adaptation map but it did not contain much information. In order to investigate further I would need to see some screen caps of the Long Coding Bytes and Bits.

I'll look at getting some caps tomorrow lunch time ;o)

Mag ride is on or off - it is a metal loaded fluid inside the shocks that changes status when a current is passed through it.

There is no halfway state possible with this setup.

Reactions: Fiddie and Rob2k68
Mag ride is on or off - it is a metal loaded fluid inside the shocks that changes status when a current is passed through it.

There is no halfway state possible with this setup.

So it's off in Comfort and on in Dynamic ? How about Auto and Efficiency what is the state for these ?

Yes, when it's 'off' the shock is actually softer than the non mag ride suspension - one of the reasons I specced it on my car.

It's 'off' in Efficency
In Auto you can feel the shocks stiffen up as you steer hard into bends, or brake heavily into a roundabout

@Rob2k68 thanks for the pics... it looks like it sits really well!! Do you feel there is less understeer or is more a case of reducing the "bounciness"?

@gtiller Very interesting, I didn't know this about no half way status... I have always been intrigued as to how mag ride worked.

Yes, when it's 'off' the shock is actually softer than the non mag ride suspension - one of the reasons I specced it on my car.

It's 'off' in Efficency
In Auto you can feel the shocks stiffen up as you steer hard into bends, or brake heavily into a roundabout

Interesting - thanks!

So to summarise :-

Comfort - Off
Efficiency - Off
Dynamic - On
Auto - switches between On and Off based upon speed, steering and braking input.

@Rob2k68 thanks for the pics... it looks like it sits really well!! Do you feel there is less understeer or is more a case of reducing the "bounciness"?

@gtiller Very interesting, I didn't know this about no half way status... I have always been intrigued as to how mag ride worked.

Definately more reduced bounciness although handling performance overall and feedback is also improved due to the resultant lower C of G I'd imagine. They've now been on for 7k miles so struggle to remember it on stock now to be honest and wouldn't like to change back.

@sj43 haveyou looked at this? Would be a good thing to be able to do.[/QUOTE]

Sorry I thought that at a VAGCOM control system level it wouldnt be able to do such thing as its too 'high level' to control the dampers characteristics, but I guess I could be wrong then. There are a number of orifices and valves that the charged oil is passed though within the damper as it travels at different speeds/loads in bump and rebound, not just an on/off electric current that you can increase/decrease for a change in ride quality. It may therefore not be a directly proportional change, for e.g of increased current gives you a firmer ride, as in reality there are many other internal components that have an effect on the damping characteristics. Just something to take into consideration if you wish continue looking down this route further.