1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dismiss Notice

MAFless tune?

Oranoco Jul 4, 2017

1. Oranoco

Oranoco Registered User

Whilst looking at the wiring task this evening it was mentioned even though the ECU is narrow band the MAF could potentially be mapped out. What are the benefits, pitfalls to this?

2. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

3. aragorn

aragorn "Stick a V8 in it!" Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User

The MAF is THE primary load input to the ECU.

Removing leaves the ECU with no clue as to whats going on and using its backup strategies to keep the engine running. Its a MASSIVE bodge and a seriously bad idea. No reputable tuner would run mafless IMO.

4. Oranoco

Oranoco Registered User

From what I can gather the mapping would revolve around the MAP sensor and TPS. Not that uncommon with some Z20LET mapping. I have reservations about omitting the MAF personally but not being up on the writing of this stuff I'm having to be steered by others. Should have just got myself an RS4 lol

5. aragorn

aragorn "Stick a V8 in it!" Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User

It will, but the ECU isnt designed to work with those. The MAP sensor is used for boost control only. It ends up having to use a guesstimate of airflow across the throttle plate based on rpm and throttle angle which is a real bodge up.

There is NO good or valid reason to remove the MAF. Anyone suggesting it basically doesnt have a clue what they're doing.