MAF sensor/ Injector loom

mcconnot

Reaction score
Quick question:
If i unclip the electrical connector to the MAF sensor and start the car (2.0TDI, 2004) will i get an fault light on the dashboard? If, yes when i re-connect the connector and re-start the car will everything return to normal?

Im need to test with the MAF sensor out of the picture but just want to be sure that nothing bad will happen when i re-connect it?

Also, how easy is it to change an injector loom?

Cheers guys,

Tom.

If you unplug the MAF sensor, your ECU light will come up on the dash until you reconnect it.

When you reconnect it the light will go off, but it will log a fault code (nothing to worry about, will only come up when diag machine/vag-com is plugged in, the logged fault can be cleared by the computer).

Injector loom itself is simple to change, its harder to get to than to change lol, take the engine cover off, then cam cover, disconnect induction pipe and a few other bits, pop rocker cover off and then its all easy!

Nice one thanks for that!
Can you describe what the injector loom actually looks like? In Elsa is an injector loom call an electrical connector?

Does anyone have a picture of an injector loom or know where i can see one?

Tom.

Basically its the only bit of wiring you'll see when you take the rocker cover off.

Its about 10-12 inches long, has 4 connectors that branch off at the top, then another 4 at the bottom, and plugs into the main loom over to the right of the engine, and is held in by 4 allen key bolts.

Oh, and it will be covered in oil.

Don't really know how else to explain it lol.

I assume its normal for it to be covered in oil?

There is a special audi tool used to loosen and remove the main wiring loom over to the right. Its a cylindrical shape implement that i assume attaches to a wrench. Anyone know if this is vital for removing or will a bit of improvisation be able to get it off. I dont think the torque value is too high so it should loosen easily enough?

There is also another audi implement to release the connectors. Is that vital or improviseable?

Tom

The only special tools required are a pair of long nose pliers to help you get the connectors off (your fingers will suffice) and a pair of hands to undo the main connector to the loom over on the right. Maybe a flathead screwdriver to help it on its way out.

Most jobs requiring 'special tools' are ********.

Yeah from looking through Elsa thats the impression i get. Most of them are dreamt up to make it a dealer only job! Cheers for the adive. New loom arriving today and putting it in tomorrow. Will post up how it goes.

Cheers,
Tom

I replaced the injector wiring loom this morning. As far as i could see there was absolutely nothing wrong with the loom that was already there but anyway!...
It also hasnt made any different in terms of the misfire/engine shake. The engine still idles slightl erratically like da...da...da....da.da.da...da...da...da...da.da.da...da...da...da

It was mentioned above that if you detach the map sensor and start the car an engine warning light will come on. I took the map sensor connector off started the car but no warning light came on to indicate it was disconnected. Is that strange that there was no indication that the map sensor was not connected on ther car?