MAF meter - advice

You could try the parts request on here or ur local TPS. I wouldn't buy a Chinese copy of a maf. I think you would be better with a genuine one.

Reactions: b2 and danny_dj3
Yeah agreed always better with a genuine one - just seems to be soooo many on ebay and amazon - prices ranging from 20 to 200 !
is the advice to still to genuine ? or is there a good after market option at all ?

Would anyone be able to help with the correct part number ? - or point me in the direction of how I can find it myself ?

If buying from a dealer then you can give them VIN/Reg and they will sort the right part and prob better to do that as if they get it wrong they will have to sort it... if you give them a part number and it turns out to be wrong they will most likely charge restocking

Alternatively buy one from GSF... as long as its genuine Bosch unit it will be fine... OE is Bosch and will be what VAG supply anyway

The are links to parts catalogues in the stickies should you want to look up a part number as a backup

<tuffty/>

Reactions: b2 and spiker
Thanks - I have a BAM engine so apologies for being dumb here - bear with me

So for genuine Audi part numbers I would use either:

06A 906 461 M
06A 906 461 MX

Does 'detail of the restored at the factory' indicate a refurbished unit ?

But you are probably right - might be easier to just give my VIN/Reg and let the supplier provide the correct part

The 'X' means its exchange... refurbished units are new sensors in refurbed housings...

7zap can be a little out of date but the M typically denotes variant and/or revision... the sensor itself its the same one used in most of the 2001 and up 1.8t's... the main difference between the S3 and the others (K03 turbo's engines) is the housing (size)

https://www.gsfcarparts.com/187vg0330

That 'should' be a Bosch part... but I would check it is prior to ordering... you can easily get 60% discount from GSF (at time of this post they have the code BANK60 that should work) and looks to work out at around £80 based on the current pricing... there appears to be a surcharge too of £30...
so when I added to a basket and with discount it came to £106 and you would get £30 back from sending you old one in...

<tuffty/>

Reactions: spiker and danny_dj3
Buy a genuine one from TPS or a refurbished Bosch one from Euro Car Parts, GSF, Andrew Page, MPD, any car factor really. The China copies are naff they do not read the correct data and give you crap performance in comparison to the standard Bosch version.

Reactions: spiker and hydro s3
Thanks to you both - the GSF option is Bosch , its now on order and after return it will cost £76

That’s a good price, back when I was having to buy them almost every year! TPS was about £120ish exchanged

Suprised how straight forward the MAF was to replace - first time I have done this , having previously paid garages to replace them

fault code cleared and after 3 runs it hasnt returned:
16487 - Mass Air Flow Sensor (G70): Signal too High
P0103 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent

on to the next fault code....

Yeah it's just a couple of jubilee clips and a senor bill to take of very easy.
If you look on the ross tech website page it will tell you the symptoms and possible fixes of the codes you have.

I had 5 engine codes - but now down to 1 - issue 17608 new thread started...

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/17608/P1200/004608
This fault code is infamously misleading (I have lost count of the number of times I reply to this code lol)...

Basically... the ECU has seen a potential over boost event and has attempted to drop boost quickly by using the N249 to operate the DV (using the vacuum in the vacuum store as you have no vacuum under boost)... boost has not dropped quickly enough so the ECU assumes that there is a problem with the DV not working...

This code is typical if you actually do have a faulty DV, an N249 bypass, mapped car and faulty MAF

Has the code returned since the MAF was replaced?

<tuffty/>

Reactions: spiker
Yeah - I have seen your replies Tufty - you are a 'beast' on this one ;)
Yep codes cleared after MAF change and 3 runs done - 17608 came back immediately

I had that code a few weeks ago and it was a faulty recirc valve. Bill at badger 5 ordered me one from TPS as I couldn't source one and wanted to stay away from ebay poo stuff.
Take of ur recirc valve and push up the diaphragm from the bottom and cover the top nipple then release your finger from under the diaphragm and the valve should stay closed until you take ur finger of the nipple then you will hear it click down. If it doesnt then is a faulty one.

Reactions: spiker
Thanks Hydro - if I remove it for test - may as well change it - but I will test it to see if its failing/failed