M4 Competition vs RS3 FL

All those saying the M4 isn't a direct competitor to the RS3 clearly don't visit this forum much, the comparison was because I was thinking of 'upgrading' to the M4 and people were interested in my thought. However upon having one for the weekend didn't see it as an upgrade. I am aware the M2 is the car for a proper comparison, but I'll reiterate, I was looking to upgrade not side step.

Reactions: V6_Man and NevMan
All those saying the M4 isn't a direct competitor to the RS3 clearly don't visit this forum much, the comparison was because I was thinking of 'upgrading' to the M4 and people were interested in my thought. However upon having one for the weekend didn't see it as an upgrade. I am aware the M2 is the car for a proper comparison, but I'll reiterate, I was looking to upgrade not side step.
My quote was vs M5 which is at least £90k.

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

My quote was vs M5 which is at least £90k.

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

Wasn't directed at you buddy. I saw a few saying M4 isn't a comparable car, but that wasn't the point of the review.

Reactions: NevMan and Terminator x
Wasn't directed at you buddy. I saw a few saying M4 isn't a comparable car, but that wasn't the point of the review.
Price wise, the M4 and RS3 are competitors. You can get delivery mileage M4's for not much more than £50k that come well specced. Audi have your pants down with options and so an equivalent spec RS3 is a very similar price point.

Reactions: Spaceman_RS3 and NevMan
Well having done 130 miles in my M4 Comp' I have to say that, for me, it IS an upgrade.
Obviously a different driving experience but what a driving experience. The gear change is better, even the feel of the paddles are better as mentioned previously, seats are a different class and I don't struggle for comfort in a car, the laid back turbine like acceleration feels better, believe it or not the sound system is better, the cockpit is better, it looks better, it sounds great, the carbon interior has more carbon, THE MIRRORS FOLD IN, no rust on the brake hubs, don't steam in the wet, no daft pops and bangs when it's started and I love it.

The RS is quieter on the motorway with less tyre noise, will obviously handle better in the current weather conditions and is exactly what it is, a very fast hot hatch whereas the M4 is a class act coupe.

All my own opinion of course and I'm well pleased that I upgraded to what is, for me, a cracking bit of kit. :thumbs up:

Reactions: DW81, Spaceman_RS3 and NevMan
Well having done 130 miles in my M4 Comp' I have to say that, for me, it IS an upgrade.
Obviously a different driving experience but what a driving experience. The gear change is better, even the feel of the paddles are better as mentioned previously, seats are a different class and I don't struggle for comfort in a car, the laid back turbine like acceleration feels better, believe it or not the sound system is better, the cockpit is better, it looks better, it sounds great, the carbon interior has more carbon, THE MIRRORS FOLD IN, no rust on the brake hubs, don't steam in the wet, no daft pops and bangs when it's started and I love it.

The RS is quieter on the motorway with less tyre noise, will obviously handle better in the current weather conditions and is exactly what it is, a very fast hot hatch whereas the M4 is a class act coupe.

All my own opinion of course and I'm well pleased that I upgraded to what is, for me, a cracking bit of kit. :thumbs up:
Sorry but I will never see a BMW as an ‘upgrade ‘ from an Audi. Far inferior quality and looks in my opinion. Loving my RS4 which is in many ways an ‘upgrade ‘ from my RS3 but that term is frankly ridiculous. Are you a bot working for BMW?

Sorry but I will never see a BMW as an ‘upgrade ‘ from an Audi. Far inferior quality and looks in my opinion. Loving my RS4 which is in many ways an ‘upgrade ‘ from my RS3 but that term is frankly ridiculous. Are you a bot working for BMW?

Don't applogise chook, your opinion is your opinion as mine is mine.
If you read the whole thread you'd know that I was referring to the OP who was thinking of 'upgrading' to an M4 so after reading your opinion, maybe he should look at an RS4.

Me, my RS was so good it was boring unless I went ballistic in it so my M4, for me, is an upgrade as it makes me smile more.
For me the M4 looks better than my RS, and yours imo and is better finished than my RS so thanks for your post R2D2 and keep on enjoying your car as I shall mine... :wub:

Reactions: Jassyo06
In my opinion, based on ownership, the RS3 is wonderful and encourages ‘hooligan’ style driving. The RS4 is rather quicker 0-60 3.4 ish and far more relaxing as a cruiser. My point is essentially that I do not believe a BMW is an ‘upgrade ‘ from an Audi. Ever!!!

In my opinion, based on ownership, the RS3 is wonderful and encourages ‘hooligan’ style driving. The RS4 is rather quicker 0-60 3.4 ish and far more relaxing as a cruiser. My point is essentially that I do not believe a BMW is an ‘upgrade ‘ from an Audi. Ever!!!

And in my opinion if driving like a hooligan and 0-60 is your kind of thing then your right but being a mature level headed grown up, both activities do nothing for me at all...
My M4 is, in my opinion, far better than my RS and doesn't look like a hearse so is significantly better than the Audis .

In my opinion of course .

Gotta go as I'm off on an Awareness course for doing 47 in a 40.

I'm just a hooligan at heart... :salute:

Reactions: FBF01, DW81 and NevMan
That's why we love cars! they divide opinion and we all like different things! if we didn't we'd all be driving around in identical motors!

I'm glad for you it is an upgrade and you're enjoying it :) there is no doubting the exterior is far superior to Audi! but for me that was it.

Enjoy your speed awareness course ;)

Reactions: Bristle Hound, E15, V6_Man and 2 others
That's why we love cars! they divide opinion and we all like different things! if we didn't we'd all be driving around in identical motors!

I'm glad for you it is an upgrade and you're enjoying it :) there is no doubting the exterior is far superior to Audi! but for me that was it.

Enjoy your speed awareness course ;)

Well said, have to say I agree. As mentioned before (in my opinion) the new 3 series interior is much much better than current, so 4 series and M’s likely to follow so will be much better all
Round proposition next time as interior a big step up.

Reactions: E15
Yeah the interior is following in the next 4 series and is a huge step over the current BMW interior, well made but dated I think.

I am told (albeit by BMW Sales) that the next M4 is going to follow the M5 and be switchable between RWD and AWD, this could put it back on my radar again! we shall see.

Reactions: E15 and NevMan
The all new 340i M X drive is a stunning looking saloon 380 bhp and available with laser headlights a must drive for me

Reactions: TYb and NevMan
The all new 340i M X drive is a stunning looking saloon 380 bhp and available with laser headlights a must drive for me

Agree, does look good, but me being a sad SUV lover, I like the X3 M40i
Given the terrible lane/track we live on, low cars not ideal, but JCW does just about cope

bd64b89a034720d89bda40d4b1fb7b63.jpg

ff96062184fdc6d6005a82925af31a43.jpg

Reactions: V6_Man and TYb
Given the terrible lane/track we live on, low cars not ideal, but JCW does just about cope

Nice but its got the old dashboard/binnacle

Reactions: NevMan

@q5man I am afraid I have to agree with @jassyo06 here, it looks old and dated

Having said that, I also agree with @zaka7. Car is a very personal thing and each 'un of us have a different taste and brand affiliation. BMWs are nice cars (I can't believe I am saying this) and so are Mercs (and again) and if people like/prefer them over Audi or Jags or any other brand then who are we to say anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: NevMan and Jassyo06
Nice but its got the old dashboard/binnacle
Oh really? think it looks good, and at least they aren't going with touch screen only.

But yes, all very subjective and each to their own.

Having had 3 Audi's in a row now next one may be something different

Reactions: Jassyo06 and V6_Man
@q5man I am afraid I have to agree with @jassyo06 here, it looks old and dated

Having said that, I also agree with @zaka7. Car is a very personal thing and each 'un of us have a different taste and brand affiliation. BMWs are nice cars (I can't believe I am saying this) and so are Mercs (and again) and if people like/prefer them over Audi or Jags or any other brand then who are we to say anything.

Mercs? Mercs? Are you serious LOL. Apart from C63 (for the engine alone), the rest not for me

Reactions: Jassyo06 and V6_Man
Oh really? think it looks good, and at least they aren't going with touch screen only.

But yes, all very subjective and each to their own.

Having had 3 Audi's in a row now next one may be something different

Another reason I went for the BM.

I don't really have a particular brand that I stick to, I just go with whatever I like and can afford but I do find it amusing that people slate someone else's choice, for whatever reason.

Each to their own is how I see it and I'd only slate someone's car for the wind up.

Plus I guess I'm lucky to be alive still after driving in hooning rain today for 200 miles in me crap handling, rwd, boring quiet heap.... :icon thumright:

Reactions: Evil Derboy, DW81 and NevMan
Mercs? Mercs? Are you serious LOL. Apart from C63 (for the engine alone), the rest not for me

Mercs are to Automotive industry what MILFs are to po*n . I wouldn't mind trying a decat 'V' and hear her 'roar' - a Merc that is and not a MILF

Last edited:
Reactions: DW81, NevMan and E15
Mercs are to Automotive industry what MILFs are to po*n . I wouldn't mind trying a decat 'V' and hear her 'roar' - a Merc that is and not a MILF

And here I assumed it was a MILF you wanted to “try”

Reactions: V6_Man

I don't really have a particular brand that I stick to, I just go with whatever I like and can afford but I do find it amusing that people slate someone else's choice, for whatever reason.

Each to their own is how I see it and I'd only slate someone's car for the wind up.

Plus I guess I'm lucky to be alive still after driving in hooning rain today for 200 miles in me **** handling, rwd, boring quiet heap.... :icon thumright:

Very true, wouldn’t say I am particularly brand loyal, but to be fair the last 3 deals I have had have been cracking. I must be unlucky with BM so far, as have tried them a few times but came up against indifference as to whether I bought from them or not.

Listened to Michael Buble by any chance whilst sideways in the rain?

Reactions: E15

Plus I guess I'm lucky to be alive still after driving in hooning rain today for 200 miles in me **** handling, rwd, boring quiet heap.... :icon thumright:

Didn't ye know the whole of Bavaria comes to a standstill come winter lol
My son drove a M4 CP from November last year through to March this year without any dramas stunning car in. . .San Marino Blue

Reactions: NevMan and E15
Didn't ye know the whole of Bavaria comes to a standstill come winter lol
My son drove a M4 CP from November last year through to March this year without any dramas stunning car in. . .San Marino Blue

Guess he was just plain lucky..... :whistle2:

@q5man - How many pennies is the new BM X3 M40i just out of interest ?

Reactions: V6_Man
Guess he was just plain lucky..... :whistle2:

Or a proper driver. Remember the good old days, manual, no abs, no traction control, stability control etc etc. Impossible to turn all of these off nowadays, as they still kick in. Do t get me wrong, I need them

Reactions: Jassyo06
Or a proper driver. Remember the good old days, manual, no abs, no traction control, stability control etc etc. Impossible to turn all of these off nowadays, as they still kick in. Do t get me wrong, I need them

No, no, no.

M4's are rwd so they're Turkish.. He must've been just plain lucky...:haha:

In the good ole days, the motors Joe public could buy didn't have 450bhp lol.

It makes me laugh when people say if you don't like an RWD you obviously can't drive, I love a RWD car, I really do, they're epic fun even more so on a track, but to live with day to day in good ole blighty I do not! You cannot enjoy the car to it's full potential on a UK road in the wet. Regardless of how good a driver you are, you'd be nicked for being reckless lol. And that's without mentioning if you live on a slight incline you're going nowhere when it snows :search:

The simple fact remains both the M4 and the RS3 are different but incredible machines, we all have differing opinions and like different characteristics in cars, and for me having experienced both, I prefer the RS3, albeit marginally :)

Reactions: NevMan and FBF01
I don't know @q5man the E63S looks and sounds pretty tasty!

Reactions: NevMan and E15
In the good ole days, the motors Joe public could buy didn't have 450bhp lol.

It makes me laugh when people say if you don't like an RWD you obviously can't drive, I love a RWD car, I really do, they're epic fun even more so on a track, but to live with day to day in good ole blighty I do not! You cannot enjoy the car to it's full potential on a UK road in the wet. Regardless of how good a driver you are, you'd be nicked for being reckless lol. And that's without mentioning if you live on a slight incline you're going nowhere when it snows :search:

The simple fact remains both the M4 and the RS3 are different but incredible machines, we all have differing opinions and like different characteristics in cars, and for me having experienced both, I prefer the RS3, albeit marginally :)

A great post mate.

Except for a couple of things.

You're correct in what you're saying about buying 450bhp cars in the 'good ol days' but you could buy a Lotus Cortina with 110bhp weighing 905kgs which had no electrical aids whatsoever and, at a guess, would be more of a handful than a modern rwd performance car.

Plus no matter how good people think they are, absolutely no one could enjoy an RS3 to its full potential in the wet as apart from ending up being nicked, you would end up as a great topic in 'Which Ditch Tester' magazine.....:thumbs up:

I'm no racer but think people who slate rwd need to broaden their minds as even the mighty RS3 can be launched into a tree or a ditch if driven recklessly.
When I had mine, I was told on many occasions that RS3s understeer.. Well, you can make ANY car understeer if you try and it's the same with the M4. It could be a handful in the wet if driven by an inexperienced driver and it could get stuck in snow but luckily, I didn't have a drama yesterday whilst driving in torrential rain but still enjoyed the 200 varied miles that I drove.

Again, great post bud.. :icon thumright:

Reactions: NevMan and zaka7
A great post mate.

Except for a couple of things.

You're correct in what you're saying about buying 450bhp cars in the 'good ol days' but you could buy a Lotus Cortina with 110bhp weighing 905kgs which had no electrical aids whatsoever and, at a guess, would be more of a handful than a modern rwd performance car.

Plus no matter how good people think they are, absolutely no one could enjoy an RS3 to its full potential in the wet as apart from ending up being nicked, you would end up as a great topic in 'Which Ditch Tester' magazine.....:thumbs up:

I'm no racer but think people who slate rwd need to broaden their minds as even the mighty RS3 can be launched into a tree or a ditch if driven recklessly.
When I had mine, I was told on many occasions that RS3s understeer.. Well, you can make ANY car understeer if you try and it's the same with the M4. It could be a handful in the wet if driven by an inexperienced driver and it could get stuck in snow but luckily, I didn't have a drama yesterday whilst driving in torrential rain but still enjoyed the 200 varied miles that I drove.

Again, great post bud.. :icon thumright:

I agree pal, I would never slate RWD, I love it, there is a reason why 90% of super cars are RWD!! I just feel the benefits and enjoyment are predominately on the track and not the roads.

The fact remains you have a hell of a motor!!

Reactions: NevMan, V6_Man and E15
:blink:

It's called, 'sarcasm' bud.
You wanna try it sometime.. :yahoo:

Am the King of NOT taking things seriously on here mate.........Besides l would have got rid of a Viper Green RS3.....OR even better never chosen one in the first place...lol