M.P.G QUESTION GOOD OR BAD?

vw754

vorsprung Durch Technik
Reaction score
A4 TDI (B6) 1.9 AWX ENGINE, BASICALY I DROVE IT 220 MILES (120 MILES WERE MOTORWAY AND 100 LOCAL DRIVING)

WENT TO FILL UP AND IT TOOK 25 QUID TO FILL TO THE BRIM AGAIN I THINK 24.88 LITRES=25 QUID (87.9 PENCE PER LITRE)

IS THIS GOOD OR SHOULD I BE GETTING MORE MILES?

FULLY SERVICED ALL GENUINE PARTS,NEW COOLANT SENSOR AND DONE A FULL SCAN ON VAG-COM (NO FAULTS FOUND)

IT IS THE 130 BHP MODEL.

Seems about right, you shoud be getting close to 100 miles per tenner i.e. full tank = 550-600 miles, so 220 miles to £25 = 40mpg which is about right for half motorway/half town. Mine averages 48mpg but that's mostly motorway. Seems to drop dramatically if you cruise at above 85mph.

Sounds very similar to mine. Most of our driving is country roads in Aberdeenshire with plenty of speed variations. DIS reckons we'll get about 530-540 miles from this tank. I guess the cold weather makes quite a difference too

Done some calculations and if you put 25 litres in and got 220 miles, that equates roughly to 40.2MPG. Thats 3 MPG better than mine which i found quite disapointing to be honest, these are real figures not what the DIS reckons. I saw 530 on a full tank which in escence seems very good especially after gettiing out of an impreza, but when i worked out mpg to 37MPG i must admit it seems quite heavy, i know there are no faults as its been scanned and i get about the same out of a tank as you guys. I see people posting 48MPG they must be reading this figure from the DIS as i cant get anywhere near(i dont thrash it either). Could some of you guys work out your MPG properly and let me know your return.
MPG Calculation.

1: Fill tank to brim and use either all of it or at least 100 miles of it.(reset mileage)
2: Return and re fill tank right to brim.
3: Note how many litres to refill tank.
4: Note how many miles done on trip.
5: Now you need to convert litres in to gallons, there a 4.545 litres in a gallon, so perform this simple sum. Divide litres used by 4.545. This will tell you how many gallons you used.
6: Now we have gallons used we perform one more sum. Divide the amount of miles you did by the amount of gallons used as per sum above and this will give you your actual MPG.

Its quite simple so you guys should give it a try and post your results.:rockwoot:

I always calculate mine when I fill up and this latest tank was less than 37mpg :wtf:

Like I said in my earlier post, most of my driving is on twisty country roads with plenty of gearbox stirring and speed differences. However even on a long motorway trip (with two adults a toddler and a boot full of stuff) I only got a tank average of 47mpg.

Last night there were 4 of us in the car (I'm the smallest and lightest at about 11 stone) and in 15 miles from a cold start it only averaged 36mpg. I wasn't being heavy on the throttle.

I've always thought that the official figures are pants. Maybe on a bog standard 1.9 130 you'll get close to them but in a Sport with wider lower profile tyres I don't think you've got much chance. However the Audi site quotes the same combined mpg for standard, SE and Sline. Not possible I think.

Dave

Your MPG is identical to mine, anyways its getting remapped by angel on the 17th and they say it should improve but im optimistic!:o.k:

:keule: 100 miles 15 quid....91.9 pence a litre,best i can get!! very dissapointed! 29 mpg is crap, new coolant sensor,no faults via vag-com.........is this it?????????!!! A4 TDI 130 BHP sitting on 235 45 17's:wtf:

vw754 said:
:keule: 100 miles 15 quid....91.9 pence a litre,best i can get!! very dissapointed! 29 mpg is crap, new coolant sensor,no faults via vag-com.........is this it?????????!!! A4 TDI 130 BHP sitting on 235 45 17's:wtf:
Blimey that is bad, my 2.5 averages around 37-38mpg combined driving and I'm on 235x45x18's

ANY ideas! im really sick of it,may aswell get a gti!!!!!!!! why is it doing this? ive been driving like a grandad all week aswell!!!

Something is not right there mate, though sadly I've gotno clue where to start looking. I have an Avant 1.9 TDi Sport, its the 130 model remapped by DPM and I'm getting around 550-600 a tank which equates to mid to high 40's mpg. Following the remap the fuel consumption has improved slightly but 30mpg is way wrong.

Are you positive you dont have a leak somewhere..??

Oh, and I'm on 235/45 17's as well.

Mine is a B6 A4 Avant Quattro 1.9TDi and averages 41-42 mpg on mixed driving, including thrashing it a bit. And it has 100K+ on the clock.

There's one thing ive been told a few times........timing!
Although i had timing/cambelt changed a few months back,the guy marked up the pulleys with tip-ex,and fitted new belt.

Ive been told it dont matter how perfect the timing maks lined up,it could have been slightly out from before(even though it was done by dealers) been advised take front off the car and use locking tools to lock cam and crank pulleys as even if its out slightly it will give bad m.p.g

timing set retarded will smoke,but as mine dont throw out black smoke,runs/drive ok it may be advanced slightly,causing bad mpg.

Ive tried everything else...new maf,coolant sensor,and had vag-com on it and found no faults,this is only thing ive been told to try,would you think its worth taking a gamble,or do you have any other idea's?

Sinny71 said:
Something is not right there mate, though sadly I've gotno clue where to start looking. I have an Avant 1.9 TDi Sport, its the 130 model remapped by DPM and I'm getting around 550-600 a tank which equates to mid to high 40's mpg. Following the remap the fuel consumption has improved slightly but 30mpg is way wrong.
Are you positive you dont have a leak somewhere..??

Check your calculations! 600 miles from a tank (70 litres) is only 39mpg which is a fair way off the 47.9mpg combined average.

Even if yours is a Quattro with a 63 litre tank 600 miles would only equal 43.3mpg.

read my previous post above then....answer this.
on another forum www.tdiclub.com they say if timing is advanced i would get better fuel economy is this true? If its retarded i would get poor fuel economy and black smoke.
Now i dont get black smoke when i boot it just the little thats normal,but i get poor economy. ive been told my timing must be advance thats why i get 26 ish mpg town driving,what should i do? do i pay and get front end dismantled and timing checked? or am i wasting my money? ive replaced maf and coolant sensor and all filters.

WHAT DO I DO??????????????:think:

"600 miles from a tank (70 litres) is only 39mpg"
I don't think anyone actually runs there tank down to nothing.
I get 600 miles from fill up to fill up which is 55-60 litres = 49-45mpg, when compared to the DIS shows it to be pretty accurate.
You can get the timing checked without dismantling the car.

how? ive had top pulley checked thats in line but how can i tell bottoms in line?,firstly to see bottom (crank pulley) got dismantle front,secondly been told got to lock crank pulley with locking tool and then check,only then i will know for sure as its got be spot on,pd engines have to have pulleys locked even a touch out causes probs.:rolleyes: