Lupo gti tuning

Dansmith

Reaction score
A mates just about to get a lupo gti, he has asked me to help him research how is the best way to tune the car! he is wanting to get it upto around 170 to 200 bhp

What would be the most cost effictive way of taking the 1.6 upto this? or is it stuff the old engine in with the new 1.8t?

(sorry the info i have found on this so far has been pretty crappy and know there are some people on here that seem to know everything VAG

No mate, not much you can do with the 1.6. Can be supercharged using a cooper s charger but its not straightforward. Most people just fit an exhaust and BMC

1.8T all the way if you want real power but seems a shame to kill a future classic. Tell him to get a normal loop sport and do it to that instead!

ITB's is one route, but it ain't cheap!
Not sure exactly how much power they give, but it's enough to put you into a tree at a decent speed!

checkout clublupo.co.uk they are the forum to be at regarding these motors. Love the Lupo - it is indeed a future classic, just wish I had the silly money they demand, still around the £5k mark for a tidy one!! Hmm S3 or Lupo?

Keeno is right ITBs are the only "bolt on" that will get the little 1.6 screaming anywhere near 170. With 125 as standard you got a long way to go as N/A to get that sort of power. But ITBs full exhaust - from the head back, intake and remap should get you close.

Otherwise, if you start looking at forced induction and bolting on a turbo or supercharger your at the very least looking at £2k if you do the work yourself. Which brings you near the bracket of a full conversion anyway, to 1.8t or something for an easy 250bhp. JBS have done the 1.8t conversion in the lupo if you care to look further.

Kave

Last edited:
Put a Turbo R32 lump in :) 450BHP in a Lupo would be an animal!!

On a serious note, As said above theres not much you can get out off the 1600 engine. I know that there quite nippy little motor and good around corners when lowerd etc. My miss's has got a 2003 Seat Arosa which is the same shape as a Lupo but we both prefer the front end and the lower price tag, Just trying to convince her to get some Schmidt's for it :0

Recently purchased a lupo gti to partner the S3 around town, and supposedly for the other half. In town it's all i've driven since. To be honest i wouldn't want a lot more power in the car. It is so much fun as it is that extra power really isn't the point of it. Feels like a little go kart compared to my S3 and i'd be worried having more power that i'd just stuff it up the nearest wall as the car really does encourage you to push on. Probably why around a third of the UK delivered ones have been written off already. Also with more power wheelspin and torque steer must be a nightmare.

Yes the car feels underpowered when i compare it to a mapped S3 but it's still 10 times the fun to drive around town (and i've spent about £4K modding the S3). I'd advise your mate to buy a different car if it's power he's after. Only mod on the lupe at the mo is some coilovers. Only other thing i'm considering is the Jabbasport rear ARB. The whole point about these cars is the corners, not straight line speed IMHO.