Lube!!

phoenixv6quattro

staylowmovefast
Reaction score
Hello gents, just a quick one this time.....Is water a sufficient lube for claying? I usually use a quick detailer but annoys me as its a waste of money as I will use a whole bottle of it when doing the whole of my car. Be great to hear your opinions!

Ollie

rinse
wash (2 buckets)
rinse and while the car is still wet use detailer and clay. i find only use 1/4 the amount compared to dry
then rinse
megs step 1
megs step 2
chemical guys XXX hardcore paste wax

thats how i do mine :)

I'de rather not use any QD as lube. Rather leave the car wet and spray water on via a bottle. Need to know if this will suffice. Not a fan of the Megs range. Got blackfire on at the mo.

If you really don't want to use a detail spray then you can get away with making up a weak mix of wash shampoo with water in a spray bottle.
You do need to use some kind of solution to act as a lubricant rather than just water to help the clay bar slide freely over the surface

I've all ways used water when claying, never noticed any issues or damage to the paint work.

The only difference I noticed between water and QD is the smell.

Is there more to it than just the smell?

EDIT:=- Added missing words.

Last edited:
Weak shampoo mix or use bilt hamber clay, excellent value plus you can use it with water only as a lube!!