Lowering springs

Quick question for @Rob2k68 - Yes, I have these plastic things but what exactly is the wheel & tyre coverage legislation?

At first I thought that they were on the car from factory for transportation purposes as I couldn't find another S3 with them on. I therefore assumed they had been left on by accident until someone said this was to do with a legislation of some sort...

Reactions: Rob2k68
Quick question for @Rob2k68 - Yes, I have these plastic things but what exactly is the wheel & tyre coverage legislation?

At first I thought that they were on the car from factory for transportation purposes as I couldn't find another S3 with them on. I therefore assumed they had been left on by accident until someone said this was to do with a legislation of some sort...

Hi Forbzeeee, yes it's legislation for wheel and tyre converge - the fender must cover the tyre envelope which includes snow chains for pedestrian protection, external projections, etc when traveling in a straight line. Mine came with 18s and now has 19s so doesn't have the fender extensions - if you don't like them I guess they're pretty easy to remove with just a fir tree button fastener. I can't see it ever failing an MOT without these fitted.

Reactions: Forbzeeee
Hi Rob.
105mm on the front of mine and 100mm on the rear.19" with mag ride..:friends:
So I just measured up and mine comes in at 100mm on the front and 95mm on the rear - 3 door with 19's + Mag

Reactions: Rob2k68, batch and pburv
So I just measured up and mine comes in at 100mm on the front and 95mm on the rear - 3 door with 19's + Mag

Excellent !! - thanks for that. I'm 80mm and 75mm so now that the springs have settled (been on 7k) that suggest that the Eibach Sportlines lower the car by 20mm both front and rear (both our cars have mag ride and 19s - albeit mines a Sportback).

Reactions: pburv and Forbzeeee
I really want your stance but feel that I need to go out in one with these Eibachs on to assess the ride harshness... I know you say it's 20-25% harsher but it's hard to imagine how this feels (does that make sense?)

What settings do you normally drive on with the Eibachs e.g. comfort, dynamic etc....

Reactions: pburv and Rob2k68
I really want your stance but feel that I need to go out in one with these Eibachs on to assess the ride harshness... I know you say it's 20-25% harsher but it's hard to imagine how this feels (does that make sense?)

What settings do you normally drive on with the Eibachs e.g. comfort, dynamic etc....

I know what you mean - it's very difficult to describe and you need to experience it too make sure if it's for you or not. I've been using it in individual lately with mag ride on auto so in 98% of driving it would be in comfort mode.

I'm hearing good things of the Emmanuelle Design linear springs for mag ride cars but the same thing applies plus you'd have to import them.

Reactions: pburv
I've have also heard good things about Emmanuelle Design but I am not too keen on them purely because of the fact I hadn't even heard of them before this year and I am not aware of any UK distributors.

Reactions: Rob2k68 and pburv
Guys, to lower a car (shocks & springs) does the boot have to be stripped out or can everything be changed from the wheel arch? Looks like a big job taking everything out of the boot to get to the top mounts... I apologise as I'm a big noob at this lol

I'm looking to lower and get 8.5x19 ET45 setup on the wheels...any u guys running this would like to see pics of how the car sits and if wheels sit ok with the arches (eg. Poke)

Cheers.

Guys, to lower a car (shocks & springs) does the boot have to be stripped out or can everything be changed from the wheel arch? Looks like a big job taking everything out of the boot to get to the top mounts... I apologise as I'm a big noob at this lol

Generally it's just the springs that are replaced to lower the car. At the rear springs are shocks are independant (unlike the front) so it's all done from underneath.

Reactions: pburv
Generally it's just the springs that are replaced to lower the car. At the rear springs are shocks are independant (unlike the front) so it's all done from underneath.

Thanks buddy, glad the boot doesn't need ripping out then

Reactions: Rob2k68
Is there anyone on here running an A3 with Eibach Sportlines? Really want them, look fab on the S3's but just want to see an A3 with them as in theory they should have an identical drop to the S3's.

Is there anyone on here running an A3 with Eibach Sportlines? Really want them, look fab on the S3's but just want to see an A3 with them as in theory they should have an identical drop to the S3's.

I think the S3 sits lower than the rest of the models. So you wouldnt get as low on a non S3 model.

A difference of 15mm rings a bell.

Reactions: SJ43
So after 2 full turns of the vertical adjuster in an anti-clockwise direction I now have effective headlamps again - lowering seemed to have affected how they were aiming. If you try this put a small paint indicator on the afldjister so you can return to 'factory' if needed it also helps you to be able to wind back a turn or half turn if they're too high :-

Reactions: Rybru and SJ43
is this the same principle for adaptive xenons?

is this the same principle for adaptive xenons?

I think so mate. Worth popping the hood to see if you have the same adjusters. Make a small paint mark so you can return to original position then nothing ventured nothing gained.

Anti clockwise to raise, clockwise to lower.

Reactions: SJ43 and RO65ERS
I think so mate. Worth popping the hood to see if you have the same adjusters. Make a small paint mark so you can return to original position then nothing ventured nothing gained.

Anti clockwise to raise, clockwise to lower.

i'll give it a go!
i think the dipped beams on this is just bit poor! my main beam how ever is magnificent!

Thanks.

Reactions: SJ43 and Rob2k68
i'll give it a go!
i think the dipped beams on this is just bit poor! my main beam how ever is magnificent!

Thanks.

Hi Ro65ERS

Just wondering if you had a go at adjusting the Xenon headlights and whether it was successful. Ive just fitted Eibach Sportlines to my S3 Saloon and will likely be trying as well. I have Xenon headlights also, hence my curiosity.

Thanks

Last edited:
Hi Ro65ERS

Just wondering if you had a go at adjusting the Xenon headlights and whether it was successful. Ive just fitted Eibach Sportlines to my S3 Saloon and will likely be trying as well. I have Xenon headlights also, hence my curiosity.

Thanks

Any pic of your car lowered?

Any pic of your car lowered?

At the moment its only dropped about 10-12mm but i only had it done 2 days ago and have read on here before it takes some time to settle, I'm hoping that it will settle this week and i will get the advertised 20mm drop. so i will post some more pics then.

Attachments

• 3a.jpg
    3a.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 226
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 250
Reactions: pburv and Rob2k68
At the moment its only dropped about 10-12mm but i only had it done 2 days ago and have read on here before it takes some time to settle, I'm hoping that it will settle this week and i will get the advertised 20mm drop. so i will post some more pics then.

Thanks for the pics. Nice stance already...but that would mean the pro-kit will probably not drop ithe S3 much then?

Hi Ro65ERS

Thanks

It would appear that Xenon headlights have the same adjusters .....

BMjPmaMn

b9mQigUg

Reactions: Rybru and pburv

Hey Rybru, do you mind measuring the ground to fender distance? I am curious how your car sits with the sportsline kit. I am planning to get the B12 pro-kit and am worried about it being too low. I have never driven a lowered car before.

Thanks.

Be rest assured Eibach Pro are on the conservative side and their engineers spend alot of time testing to find the best compromise with regards to speed humps etc.

Reactions: SJ43 and Rob2k68
Be rest assured Eibach Pro are on the conservative side and their engineers spend alot of time testing to find the best compromise with regards to speed humps etc.

You are absolutely right. I did a lot of research on various springs and I found Eibach to be the most conservative (the drop is most mild). However, for my car, I have to get the S3 prokit to match the axle weight. Yet, the S3 prokit has progressive springs in the front. I wonder if it'd be bouncy.

So, I have just got a tdi 184 Quattro, I was wanting to know what springs people are recommending for the biggest drop and to reduce the bounce?