Lowering Springs?

jphc

RS6 Dreamin'
Reaction score
Hi Guys

So i have an 08 A3 SB 2.0tdi. I'm sitting on 19" RS6 replica wheels & i love them.

But, they do leave a big old wheel gap. Normally i wouldn't think twice about chucking some coil-overs on the car but i bought this thing purely for comfort. I have to daily drive it and i don't want the ride to be harsh. My car has the SE comfort suspension, so its not sporty at all. Thats just how i want it.

Now what i'm wondering is, if i get lowering springs, Will my comfort be retained or will the new springs be more harsh than my current set up? Or would i simply not notice?

Thanks

If you get some decent coilovers, the ride quality won't be ruined.

It doesn't mention anything about SE in the original post, just SB which I thought was meaning Sportback.

Damian @ DPM Performance

Oh sorry, i did say it had SE suspension, but yes the car is an SE.

Can anyone help with this? J

Yea, lowering springs on your shocks will bounce more than a bouncy castle after a while.

Had lowering springs AND coilovers on mine and the coilovers are much comfier.

How do the coilovers compare to a completely stock setup?

If you want to retain a good ride I'd go for a fixed height setup like these

Audi :: A3 8P (03-12) :: Suspension & Handling :: Spring & Damper Kits - GNJ Motorsport - The UK's Number 1 Performance Car Part Supplier - Airtec, Bilstein, Cobra Sport, Eibach, Forge Motorsport, KW Suspension, LOBA Motorsport, Pipercross, Tarox & W

Depends on budget really. The AP's are good for the money.

You can just fit a set of springs of course but A3 8P dampers aren't the best and will be shot before long resulting in a rubbish, bouncy ride.

If you want to retain a good ride I'd go for a fixed height setup like these

Audi :: A3 8P (03-12) :: Suspension & Handling :: Spring & Damper Kits - GNJ Motorsport - The UK's Number 1 Performance Car Part Supplier - Airtec, Bilstein, Cobra Sport, Eibach, Forge Motorsport, KW Suspension, LOBA Motorsport, Pipercross, Tarox & W

Depends on budget really. The AP's are good for the money.

You can just fit a set of springs of course but A3 8P dampers aren't the best and will be shot before long resulting in a rubbish, bouncy ride.

Those do look fantastic but i was thinking a 30mm drop would only cost £200/£300. Interesting what you say about the stock dampers. If i was to just swap the springs out and let my dampers die a natural death, what would i replace them with?

Absolutely, Eibach springs with SE or even used 70k+ Sport shocks won't work well and will have a bouncy harsh ride.

Some people cut corners and cost , making the classic mistake of not renewing the dampers which are the defining factor in ride quality.

Eibach Pro-kit springs, are absolutely fine 2nd hand.

With new oe Sport dampers either Bilstein B4 or Sachs Super Touring will provide a magic carpet ride.

Just put a Pro-Kit on my S3. Different as obviously the dampers are stiffer and shorter, but it actually IMPROVED the ride quality immediately - feels less crashy. What about a second hand set of S3 dampers with uprated springs if you're on a budget?

Both interesting ideas.

I think this is one of those really specific things that i will just have to experiment with until I'm happy...No one said it would be cheap!

You could get some ****** good coilovers for 6-700 quid. Anything that's lowered no matter what on is going to be harsher, however you'll find most of the comfort is taken away in the size of wheels. I personally wouldn't spend 6-700 on springs and shocks as I wasn't happy with the height the lowering springs sat.

AP do a suspension kit (shocks and springs) for 300ish. No idea on quality but the coilovers are rated well.

Seriously though lowering springs are usually grand on standard springs. All this talk of bouncy castles is balls. Unless your shocks are knackered of course but thats a different matter.

Oh sorry, i did say it had SE suspension, but yes the car is an SE.

Apologies people, reading on a tablet and not going over everything correctly.

The 19" wheels will be reducing the comfort quite and what ever kit you go for will also reduce the comfort further with you having the SE spec suspension.

I would stick with a good quality springs and shocks kit though as changing just the springs isn't going to give you the best ride quality.

Let me know if I can be any help with info or prices and I'm sure we can get the correct kit for what you want and need.

Damian @ DPM Performance

Apologies people, reading on a tablet and not going over everything correctly.

The 19" wheels will be reducing the comfort quite and what ever kit you go for will also reduce the comfort further with you having the SE spec suspension.

I would stick with a good quality springs and shocks kit though as changing just the springs isn't going to give you the best ride quality.

Let me know if I can be any help with info or prices and I'm sure we can get the correct kit for what you want and need.

Damian @ DPM Performance

And I wrote it out wrong... They are 18" wheels on 225/40's. Thanks Damian, Shall i PM you?

J