Lowering springs on OEM shocks

voteforpedro

Reaction score
Looking for any experiences of using lowering springs on standard shocks. I know it's typically frowned upon as it puts excessive strain or whatever on the shocks but I'll only have them on until I can afford some coilovers next year.

My shocks are in good condition and not leaking etc.

Good idea or not?

are you doing the work yourself? if so then it is quite an economical thing to do. labour can cost upto 5 hours for a suspension swap.

i have eibach 20mm springs on std shocks with my s4 - not exactly a large drop but it looks better and i haven't noticed any change in the ride comfort

I have a full set of sport quattro suspension for sale if you want.

a drop of 10-20mm can be doable but not advisable on stock springs either way.
worst case you will blow the shock when the rod bottoms out.
best case you won't notice.

uprate your bumpstops if you are going to do it.

I think it depends how crazy your going. We fitted eibach springs and bilstein shocks to craigs S4, but the bilsteins were the same length as the stock dampers so i doubt your going to have any issues with bottoming the shocks out.

If you stick to a mild amount of lowering, ie 20mm, i suspect the sport dampers will be fine. any lower than that and you start getting negative handling traits anyway so its not really advisable regardless.

Also, imo, unless your planning on spending a LOT on coilovers, you'll have a better setup at the end of the day fitting some eibach "pro kit" springs now, and dropping in some Bilstein shocks later instead of going to cheap coilovers. You'd need to spend over 700quid on coilies to get a setup that will match the eibach/bilsteins imo, and the only advantage cheap coilies will give you is allowing you to lower it enough to mong the geometry, while destroying your ride quality at the same time.

Oh and before you take it apart, read the haynes manual section on refitting the top mounts. I didnt and it took me hours to work out how to align the top mount and the damper fork!

Mine's a B7..... but I'm just having weitec springs (30mm drop) fitting to mine at the weekend @ awesome GTI. The only reason I'm not doing it my self is due to the 4wheel alignment needed after. I know my std shocks will be pushed harder due to this, but I'll be going coil overs back end of next year anyway so it doesn't bother me. Plus it's only an 05 car on 43K miles so the shocks havn't been worked as hard as an older motor.

I have a full set of sport quattro suspension for sale if you want.

a drop of 10-20mm can be doable but not advisable on stock springs either way.
worst case you will blow the shock when the rod bottoms out.
best case you won't notice.

uprate your bumpstops if you are going to do it.

They wont work on a none quattro car only the fronts will work the rears are no good to him.

On another note if youre shocks are red then you will have sport suspension and lower springs will work fine if they are not and you fit spring you will find the car will bounce on the springs on slow dips in the road because the shocks wont be able to take the slack up.

I am running standard shock with Eibach springs I am not sure of the drop I would say at least 40mm maybe 50mm

I am really impressed as you can see from the pictures it makes a big difference and I have 19"s. The ride is actually alright I did think it would be back breaking but I am very happy.

2008_0820PicsCameraNew00211-1.jpg

TO
Car006.jpg

I suppose the ride and handling can also be dependent on driving style. My diesel is there as a leisurely communter motor, so I don't rag it etc.

you don't need to have 4 wheel alignment on the B5 if just doing springs - are you sure you need it on the B7?

I have been to awesome for alignment 3 times - always left the wheel squiffy, took it back - again not straight, took it back again and still could not sort it - did not bother going back!

The double wishbone setup the A4 uses should mean that the geometry stays pretty close to stock after lowering it. However its probably always worth checking especially as audis tolerances are pretty wide!

MattV6 are those Eibach's Prokit or their Sportline setup? I think its probably the sportline setup, as going that low is probably getting a bit detrimental to the handling. Pro-kit doesnt lower quite as much, and they are more expensive, but they're aimed at optimizing the cars handling over looks...

aragorn, I am not sure what Eibach springs/kit they are but they were about £300 ish + fitting

Cheers mate.

Are the eibach springs and Bilstein better than std s4 springs and dampers? or are thayt equal to the std sport suspension ( which i guess is what an s4 has?)
Mine (s4) are weak (120k miles), looking for a slightly firmer ride without lowering........

you don't need to have 4 wheel alignment on the B5 if just doing springs - are you sure you need it on the B7?

I have been to awesome for alignment 3 times - always left the wheel squiffy, took it back - again not straight, took it back again and still could not sort it - did not bother going back!

Never had a problem with awesome. Had suspension work done on my Octy vRS and never had a problem. The alignment is actually quoted as a Geo setup.

sun: the Eibach pro kit lowered craigs S4 about 15mm or so, theres no real noticeable increase in harshness, its just a little bit stiffer and drives really well. Its not overly low, doesnt catch on anything, let me find some pics for ya.

I cant recommend the combination enough, and it will certainly be better than cheap coilovers. The eibach springs are around £150-200 for their pro-kit and the bilstein shocks were around 300quid iirc (speak to siena and he should be able to get you a good price)

in theory you shouldn't but if you lower the car the caster/camber of the wheels will alter the geometry. you could have different toe in/out settings as a result
I would have it checked when replacing anything as they drive like boast when the geometry is out

big thanks aragorn
that's just what i am looking for ( slightly firmer and not really lower).
I have a set of bushes for the rear and arms for the front waiting to fit, reckon on doing springs at same time so i only have to get alignment done once.

okay : if i buy the eibach springs, when i come to buy shocks ( not yet) bilstien list "sport" or "sprint", for the s4 avant - anyone know the difference?

bilsteins range has changed quite a bit recently, they used to have Sportline and Sprintline, where sport was mildly uprated shocks aimed at your typical ricer, and sprintline was a proper high quality suspension kit, with the prices to match (£200 for sportline and springs, £400+ for sprintline and springs)

They've gone all divergent now and renamed them all with numbers like B6, B8, B10. Not sure where the older names fit, nor am i sure which ones craigs S4 has, but if you speak to Siena he'll be able to tell you which ones we got. At a guess i'm thinking B8's

doh!

Auction was a bit misleading though as the Pro-kits dont fit such a wide range of engines, theres a number of different kits for 4cyl/6cyl/6cylauto&tdi then avant/saloon variants and also quattro and non-quattro....

Without the part number you've no idea which exact car they're for and you might have ended up with it sitting nose or **** up if they were for the wrong model.

doh!

Auction was a bit misleading though as the Pro-kits dont fit such a wide range of engines, theres a number of different kits for 4cyl/6cyl/6cylauto&tdi then avant/saloon variants and also quattro and non-quattro....

Without the part number you've no idea which exact car they're for and you might have ended up with it sitting nose or **** up if they were for the wrong model.

OK, will bear than in mind. Thanks for the advice guys. I think Eibach springs and Bilstein shocks are the way forward and much kinder on my wallet, particularly as I wouldn't need to splash out all at once. Get the springs with my January student loan, shocks with my April one, JOB DONE. :)

So the stock sport shocks are compatible with eibach 30mm? Or will they just mess the shocks up?
Thanks

I ran with that exact set up for a couple of years with no issues. I swapped to AP coilovers as the springs weren't stiff enough for track work and the car rolled like barge. The coilovers set with a 45mm drop make it handle superbly and stick like poo to a blanket. Beaten some much more exotic stuff through the twisties since fitting and not too bad on the road either.

Thanks for the quick reply mate, I understand the sport shocks can take alot more than the stock se shocks.

If you have any pics on the 30mm drop could you be a gent and post them up
Thanks

Last edited:
Red sport shocks and 40mm drop of unknown make ……

As oranoco said, it's a little barge like but sits quite nicely, in all honesty I think my shocks are tired also as it's wallowy too.

Wallowey is usually the suspension bushes. If they've not been replaced they WILL all be completely knackered.

They are a little crunchy but it's wallowy from side to side, much like when you get in a little row boat and it rocks from side to side !

My sport struts lasted a whole 10k with h&r race springs. When I pulled them there was zero damping left. Anything milder will last longer but is far from ideal.

Coilovers all the way imo. Even if you buy springs and do the alignment, you will be still looking at around £300. Not worth it just for looks.
This is mine with 40-50mm drop.
Still plenty thread left.