1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lowering Spring advice

flipmyflipper Dec 12, 2018

1. flipmyflipper

flipmyflipper Member

I have a facelift A5 sportback and am wanting to lower it slightly as it currently sits quite high. It is an S Line so am I right in thinking it already has a 10mm drop?
    I’m think 30mm springs but what is everyone else using? Are H&R and Eibach the most popular?

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Advertisement

3. JG51 AUD

JG51 AUD Well-Known Member Team Glacier Supercharged TFSI Owners Group Team V6 Gold Supporter Audi S5 Black Edition quattro

@DPM can answer your question and provide you with what your looking for at a good price.

JG

DPM, flipmyflipper and Sandra like this.
  4. DPM

DPM Site Sponsor Site Sponsor

S-line is more towards 15-20mm from factory. What further lowering were you wanting on top of what you already have?

Damian @ DPM Performance

5. Daniel1512

Daniel1512 Member

dpm is spot on sline is about 15-20mm drop standard ... i went H&R all round on my q5 looks so much better now

6. flipmyflipper

flipmyflipper Member

I only want to go 20mm I think, don’t want it to look too ‘modded’. I’ve read a couple of people say the H&M were too stiff and went for Eibach pro?

7. p1tse

p1tse Active Member

I don’t think 20mm drop will be really noticeable?

8. Daniel1512

Daniel1512 Member

The reason i went H&R is that Eibach don't go low enough when you take into account that the s line already has a drop of 15-20mm as standard from factory you have to take that into account as if you buy 30mm springs you are only dropping the car by 10mm ish as you have to knock off 15-20 that it already is lower... i hope that makes sense lol..I believe that's right if not someone can chime in

V6 Quatt and flipmyflipper like this.
  9. flipmyflipper

flipmyflipper Member

Looking at a 45-50mm spring then and by the sounds of it H&R are the boys to go for. Thanks folks

10. MuPPeT_ON_TouR

MuPPeT_ON_TouR Well-Known Member Supercharged Sportback TFSI Owners Group Team V6 Silver Supporter Audi S5 Black Edition quattro OBD11 USER Deep Black Pearl DSG

I think at a 45-50mm drop the shocks are way out to cope with that, or at least you risk very early life failure.

Do some more research.

11. Daniel1512

Daniel1512 Member

I went with 40mm H&R all round
    So it dropped it overall about 20-25 mm talking into acount the factory drop

12. Avatar

Google AdSense Advertisement

13. flipmyflipper

flipmyflipper Member

This is totally confusing. People are saying there’s a 20mm drop standard but your saying 45-50mm springs will be to low?

14. flipmyflipper

flipmyflipper Member

Sounds like what I’m after

15. MuPPeT_ON_TouR

MuPPeT_ON_TouR Well-Known Member Supercharged Sportback TFSI Owners Group Team V6 Silver Supporter Audi S5 Black Edition quattro OBD11 USER Deep Black Pearl DSG

Not too low that it can't be done, Its just I'm sure that I remember reading that dropping a car that low on standard shocks puts them under more strain or at least runs them out of thier design spec.

I was just suggesting that if you haven't then you might want to look for some more info on dropping a car on standard shocks that low.

Pretty sure the s line has sports shocks designed for a lower car, so a further 20mm drop on them isn't as harsh.

But you are going 40mm from standard A5 shocks.

16. Daniel1512

Daniel1512 Member

1 thing I forgot I changed my shocks as well for bilstein which are better for the springs

17. MuPPeT_ON_TouR

18. Meemo

Meemo Well-Known Member Supercharged Audi S5 Black Edition

Correct me if I am wrong, but s5 and sline suspension is I am presuming both dropped from factory, so maybe the below will help with the before and afters.

H&R sport springs (35mm chasis drop)
    Billstein B8 Shocks (30mm-40mm lowered suspension)
    20mm Spacers each corner

It has settled a few mm since this a year ago, but no scrape in multistories or any speedbumps, I drive a fair amount all over with work so seen pretty much every type of nasty bump/carpark with no issues.

Before:

[​IMG]

After:
    [​IMG]

Before:

[​IMG]

After:

[​IMG]

Before:

[​IMG]

After:

[​IMG]

19. V6 Quatt

V6 Quatt Well-Known Member

Good point my A5 Quattro was on HnR

20. A5CT

A5CT New Member

I don't want to derail this thread but sounds like I found the right audience regarding my spring/sport suspension question. I have that in a separate post above if you guys wouldn't mind taking a look....

thanks
    Bob

21. NC10

NC10 Member Team Ibis TFSI Owners Group Audi A5 Audi Cabriolet Owner Group S tronic S-line owners group

Copy and paste from a thread I started a while back courtesy of @Donny_DJ

1BE (themore common 'Sport' suspension which is -20mm) or 1BV (the more rarer 'S-Line' suspension which is -30mm).

Check your boot sticker to see what you've actually got, may help anyone looking to lower their car.

22. flipmyflipper

flipmyflipper Member

Just an update. I went for H&R 35mm in the end. Absolutely perfect drop for my S-Line and it feels so much better. Thank you everyone for their advice on this. Looking at spacers now, what's everyone using? I was thinking 15mm all round?

23. MuPPeT_ON_TouR

15 front 20 rear with standard rotor alloys for me.

The offset you have on your alloys and gapgto your arches will determine the spacers you can use.

Best to measure it yourself. Lots of you tube videos on how with a quick search.

flipmyflipper likes this.
  24. V6 Quatt

IMG_20181209_185104_751.jpg H n R 30 mil

BD55SOL and JG51 AUD like this.
  25. JG51 AUD

JG51 AUD Well-Known Member Team Glacier Supercharged TFSI Owners Group Team V6 Gold Supporter Audi S5 Black Edition quattro

V6 Quatt likes this.
  26. V6 Quatt

Cheers hows the S5

27. JG51 AUD

Loving it pal, booked in for MRC Stage 1 ECU & TCU remap in June, thought I'd give it some more power to go with it's Rs5 brake upgrade.:yes::racer:

You doing AITP this year, you, me & Mac, A5,S5 & RS5 all in white, now that's a good photo. :thumbs up:

JG