Lowering Audi a3 1.9TDi sportback 2007

Oliver Lithgow

Reaction score
Hi guys.

New to the forum, I have my audi a3 1.9tdi sportback I was advised on lowering the car after putting new alloys on and it's sitting like a jeep tbh. So I am going to lowering it I just have a few questions.

I got advised on using lowering springs over coilovers Is this true?

I am looking at coilovers due to the fact of the idea of being able to adjust them when needed to?

I'm looking at coilovers around 200 range but might be able to spend a little more.

Depends on how low you want to go. Best get decent brands if you want coilovers. Spring and strut set up is fixed but gives an all comfortable ride.

Not plugging business I have some AP coilovers for sale.

I have had the two set ups and will say both have advantages .

Coilovers come trumps in that you can adjust your height. They are slightly stiffer than the springs/strut set up. They make the car fun to drive when you go ultra low.

Depends on how low you want to go. Best get decent brands if you want coilovers. Spring and strut set up is fixed but gives an all comfortable ride.

Coilovers come trumps in that you can adjust your height. They are slightly stiffer than the springs/strut set up. They make the car fun to drive when you go ultra low.

I agree with all of the above apart from "they are slightly stiffer" ... in my experience coilovers are a good deal stiffer than a spring and damper combo.

I know nothing about coilovers but can recommend Eibach springs as I've had both versions they make on my car with OEM dampers and both are fine.

Cheap and naff coilovers, yes , but Aps hand on heart, they are not far from Eibach springs and Sportline struts which I too am running on.

Cheap and naff coilovers, yes , but Aps hand on heart, they are not far from Eibach springs and Sportline struts which I too am running on.

Fair enough I can't remember the coilovers I have experience of in a friends car but they can't have been that expensive...

I might be intrested in buying ur AP coils, if you still selling them.
How the car behaves with AP, I haven't seen any with AP around.

I had my SE dropped on -30mm Eibachs recently, loads firmer in the corners, slight harder on bumps

Hi guys.

New to the forum, I have my audi a3 1.9tdi sportback I was advised on lowering the car after putting new alloys on and it's sitting like a jeep tbh. So I am going to lowering it I just have a few questions.

I got advised on using lowering springs over coilovers Is this true?

I am looking at coilovers due to the fact of the idea of being able to adjust them when needed to?

I'm looking at coilovers around 200 range but might be able to spend a little more.
I'd say lowering springs if you are on a bit of a budget, I think the rule of thumb is that you can drop your car up to 55mm on standard shocks although this may shorten the life of the shocks. my sister owns a slammed s-reg polo on coilovers and its a very uncomfortable ride (for me), must have broken my jaw a few times when going over speed bumps but she likes it so it all a matter of personal preference. perhaps try springs first and if you aren't satisfied then buy coilovers. good luck :D

Hi guys.

Thanks for all the replies. I think I'm going with lowering springs within the next week or so.
Only thing I'm thinking about is how low to go I've had a look about and seen you can go up to 50 mm with springs, I wanting the car to sit just above the wheels but not tucked. What height of springs should I go for.

Thanks

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 84
50mm won't drop it too much. You will have 2 finger gap and can almost see all your wheel outline. Sits better with spacers too. I used to have AP coilovers and was quite low. Eibach Sportline came almost close to my then set up. Only difference now I feel is the the car wallows slightly on springs and is not as rigid and steering is softer than when on coilovers. However each has pros and cons. Jury is still out on springs vs coilovers .