Lowering advice

A3Bash

Reaction score
Looking to lower the car now, do I just need new springs? Nothing to extreme, just a little drop on 17 inch alloys. Also does anybody know where I could get them fitted around West Yorkshire?

what year and model mate? tdi/petrol se,sport ?

SE 1.6 2004 mate. Put it on 17" sport alloys and it's riding a bit high now.

ok,first of all id change the top mounts (about £70 a pair from the dealer) worth changing,they do wear out and then you get a knocking noise from the front,and you dont want strip the suspension again,do it when you change the springs. All you need is a set of springs thats it ! (unless like me you get seized track rod ends) which will cost you around £20 the pair.I have some springs off a 2.0 tdi (sport) which are lower...you need to find out if the tdi's will fit your petrol 1.6(if ya interested)

n8......any issues with a remapp?........next on the agenda

N8 are you wanting pics of the car?
I'm after a little firmer ride and lowering. What springs would you recommend? I would like to keep it OEM because of the approved used car warranty so some springs from another Audi do appeal.

n8......any issues with a remapp?........next on the agenda

No man, love my map, done by Shark Performance in Mansfield, wouldn't use anyone else now, give Ben a ring!

N8 are you wanting pics of the car?
I'm after a little firmer ride and lowering. What springs would you recommend? I would like to keep it OEM because of the approved used car warranty so some springs from another Audi do appeal.

Pics of how the car sits and you don't want an OEM setup, as all of them are crap, hence why my S-Line got sold and I'm running aftermarket coilovers now!

How will the stock dampers cope with shorter springs ? Will it shorten the life or is it ok to do ?

And is the handling much better ? Will still probably need antiroll bars anyways :rockwoot:

Sorry to hijack for a sec

How will the stock dampers cope with shorter springs ? Will it shorten the life or is it ok to do ?

And is the handling much better ? Will still probably need antiroll bars anyways :rockwoot:

Sorry to hijack for a sec

I think they do shorten the life, hence coilovers are your best bet or uprated shocks as well..

I ran H+R 50mm springs on standard shocks for a while and the ride height was really nice and very comfy, this is a great little setup, and a lot cheaper than coilovers. The only reason I ditched them for coilovers was for new lowness ;-)

if your not after anything extreme, I would highly recomend the H+R springs.

Thanks for all the replies, N8 currently trying to find the memory stick with the pics on lol. Are H&R softer than Eibachs? Thanks for that link Damien, it's something I'm seriously considering but how much do you think fitting should be?

heres pics of mine when it was on H+R springs:

vwfestival08040-1.jpg

fest.jpg

DSCF0557.jpg

Got a pic of how it's sitting at the moment, in desperate need of lowering!

11.jpg

I'm just in the middle of the same situation with mine, I've got a Sport so marginaly lower to begin with, I've now fitted 18'' RS6's and it looks like a allroad, get someone to do a photoshop of your car for you (I did this in the photographic section, take a look). I think when you do lower your car you'll start to think that your wheels then look a bit small, can of worms but will end up with a good looking A3.

From this:
DSC02888.jpg

To this:
DSC02907.jpg

To (hopefully) this:
a3-lowered.jpg

Good luck!

4NT keep us informed what route you take with your suspension as I'm wanting to lower mine in the not so distant future and am also unsure what to go for :think: I get to the point where I think I know which springs etc I'm gonna go for but then I'll see a picture of another members car with that very setup and I'm not keen on the stance i.e. low at the front and high at the rear which I really don't like :no: I want it to look perfectly even both front & rear just like the photoshop of your car if poss :rock:

Tis' a tricky one. I'm scared of doing just springs and my car bouncing all over the show like an un intentional snoop dogg ride! Just want it lower and even too, trial and error I suppose....:faint: