Lowering 2.0 tfsi quattro s line

derek1howe

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Just wondering what the deal is with lowering the A3. It seems to sit pretty high atm with a fair amount of gap between the wheels and the arches. I have a set of the BBS 18" wheels.

Is it springs allround?
How low should i go? I often have people in the back of my car and a fair amount of stuff in the boot, so don't wanna be scrubbing on the arches.
Are there much dif in brands of springs and where is the best place to buy from?

Also any photos with dif hights would be great!<br><br>

thanks in advance!

I've got the same exact car, skip the springs and go for a decent set of coilovers! Because its sline the lowering springs won't make a noticeable difference. I've got weitec hicon gt coilovers on mine. It's only dropped about 30mm at the moment. But going to drop it about 15mm soon. The weitecs are made by KW so you know there made really well. And the ride is a lot nicer then before with the sline set up. The weitecs are about 600 I think, but well worth it!!! I'll get a picture of how mine sits soon for you?

Oh and it handles like a dream as well! A lot less body roll, but still a mega smooth ride!

lower it by 30mm to be safe and get some adjustable coilovers so u dont dread having them on "IF" it scrubs try KW v2 coilies or Bilstien 14's they are superb...but it also depends do you just want it for looks or handling ? if handling then it would cost you slightly more then ur avg B12's or JOM coilovers... horrid things they are...

On a bit of a budget so was thinking of just going with springs for the time being. Is it worth me waiting a while and getting the cilovers. It's prob more for looks than any thing else, i just don't like the massive gap between the aches and the wheels.

To be honest I think it's worth waiting and saving for a decent set of coilovers! Like I said, cause you've got sline suspension already, the lowering springs really won't make a great deal of visual difference.

To be honest I think it's worth waiting and saving for a decent set of coilovers! Like I said, cause you've got sline suspension already, the lowering springs really won't make a great deal of visual difference.

i second that

I fitted Vogtland 50mm lowering springs to my S Line Sportback. It actually dropped it 30mm and it looks and drives a whole load better than before. Vogtland springs are made by Eibach in Germany and actually drop the car evenly. Bought from DPM on here for £175.00. Very impressed with them. Hope that helps.

I fitted Vogtland 50mm lowering springs to my S Line Sportback. It actually dropped it 30mm and it looks and drives a whole load better than before. Vogtland springs are made by Eibach in Germany and actually drop the car evenly. Bought from DPM on here for £175.00. Very impressed with them. Hope that helps.

How do you find the ride? Is it a lot more bumpy?

Also guys am I right in saying the s line springs are 10mm lower than the standard ones?

Has anyone got any pics of dif heights etc?

I've got 35mm h&r's on mine they where exactly what I wanted, didn't want to go too low as i carry my tools to work and often carry passengers. Handling improved over s line and ride quality improved slightly on smooth roads but they are quite harsh on bumpier roads which i expected due to the lower ride hight, but overall I'm happy and they do the job for me.

Thanks for all the replies guys!

just two questions to clear a few things up.

1. If I go for the 35mm springs will it look much lower? A few people about say I won't notice much in the look as the sline is already 20mm lower than standard.

2. If I waited and got some coilovers is there anything else I'd need to buy like wheels spacers or top links? I'm running genuine bbs 18" wheels with 225/40/18 tyres.

Here a quick pick of the car as it is so you can get an idea of the height ATM. There is a fair amount of gap between the arch and the wheels when were talking in mm.

IMG_3846.jpg

thanks again for all the help.

Thanks for all the replies guys!

just two questions to clear a few things up.

1. If I go for the 35mm springs will it look much lower? A few people about say I won't notice much in the look as the sline is already 20mm lower than standard.

2. If I waited and got some coilovers is there anything else I'd need to buy like wheels spacers or top links? I'm running genuine bbs 18" wheels with 225/40/18 tyres.

Here a quick pick of the car as it is so you can get an idea of the height ATM. There is a fair amount of gap between the arch and the wheels when were talking in mm.

IMG_3846.jpg

thanks again for all the help.

What about 50mm H&R's?

50mm H&R's are for fwd mate, H&R only do 35mm for the quattro.

Ah ok, did not know that! Well yours looks acceptable to me ;)

Reactions: Turbo jay
If you think you'll be dissapointed if the ride height isn't low enough when you put which ever springs on, go for coilovers.

How difficult is it to replace springs? I've got some mechanical know how! But I'm certainly no pro!

Another option is VWR springs which you can get from any APR agent.
I have these fitted to my car (TDI quattro S-Line) and are comfortable and lower. Measures 343mm wheel centre to arch on the front and 355mm on the rear. They are the only linear rate lowering spring available for the A3, but are quite expensive.

Previously I've had H&R 35mm and KW V3 coilovers. H&R is a good spring but on bad roads could be bouncy because they are progressive. They lowered the car to 345mm all round.
Coilovers IMO are a little too stiff for everyday use if you set them up properly i.e to avoid rubbing and for decent handling. If you set them up soft you will have to adjust your driving to suit. Also depends how good the roads are in your area I suppose.

I have my set of H&R Springs for sale in the classifieds:
Classifieds: H&amp;R A3 8P/Sportback quattro 35mm Lowering springs (29227-1)

I have an S-line Quattro and was wondering about putting coilovers on the back only, would this be a bad idea? I was originally going tostick wit stadard S#Line suspension as I quite like it but I thnk the back could do with comng down a bit.

I'm thinking of buying the Weitec GT coilovers for mine. Just over £600 but doesn't specify if there for Quattro or not! Currently have the crappy JOM ones and it looks nice low but the body roll and spring movement is quite a lot! Especially after about 10 months to a year old!
Any help appreciated.
Cheers,
Dan.