Low top end power after 3000rpm no fault codes?

UK88

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm struggling to figure out why my Audi A3 2.0 TDI 2006 140bhp (147k) is lacking power after 2500rpm.

1. I have no fault codes registered.

2. Taken for diagnosis, including test drive which showed no issues at all with boosting, however I feel like the car isn't even boosting after 2500rpm; just runs out of steam, and requires a gear change to keep accelerating.

3. I've changed the turbo, egr, maf and injectors (used 73k ones) with no major difference.

4. Fuel economy is down from 40-58mpg to 25-38mpg. Car is not smoking either.

The car idles and drives fine as long as I don't exceed 3000rpm which feels like its peak point for a gear change.

I suspect after everything changed it could be a weak fuel pump, tandem pump, restriction or the boost control solenoid block.

Has anyone experienced this before? Please do share your symptoms for any of the possible issues above so I can get a rough idea of what I could be. Thanks :)

Have you changed the Fuel Filter and air filter?
Could be a blockage or restriction somewhere.

Yep, made no difference at all. Running out of ideas now. It’s even more frustrating to keep going to different mechanics and being told nothing’s wrong with it.

Hi All,

I'm struggling to figure out why my Audi A3 2.0 TDI 2006 140bhp (147k) is lacking power after 2500rpm.

1. I have no fault codes registered.

2. Taken for diagnosis, including test drive which showed no issues at all with boosting, however I feel like the car isn't even boosting after 2500rpm; just runs out of steam, and requires a gear change to keep accelerating.

3. I've changed the turbo, egr, maf and injectors (used 73k ones) with no major difference.

4. Fuel economy is down from 40-58mpg to 25-38mpg. Car is not smoking either.

The car idles and drives fine as long as I don't exceed 3000rpm which feels like its peak point for a gear change.

I suspect after everything changed it could be a weak fuel pump, tandem pump, restriction or the boost control solenoid block.

Has anyone experienced this before? Please do share your symptoms for any of the possible issues above so I can get a rough idea of what I could be. Thanks :)

Hi there having the same issue here did you find out what was wrong with it
Thanks

Hi there having the same issue here did you find out what was wrong with it
Thanks

Hi, unfortunately I haven't, just continued driving it as no faults have flagged up. Most likely will take it on a dyno/remap to see what its current power output is in comparison to stock.

Have you tried disconnecting the MAF and driving it, to see if it makes any difference?