Low oil presure warning light

sewell10

Reaction score
Some advise please my mate as a a4 2.0tfsi and whilst he was sititing in traffic the dreaded low oil pressure light came on turned car off straight a way re started oil light went off went another 2 mile in standing traffic came on again turned engine off and on again re started ran all day no warning light back on help on this issue

Car has done 55.000 full history engine code bul

could be a simple oil pick up gauze!
what year ? 2006/7?
this is the same engine fitted to DTM models, so maybe something else!
someone will be here to advise soon mate!

Hey Sewell10,

I personally own a DTM myself. And had the same issue.

Now generally speaking you either can get off very lightly or very badly.

The first thing I would suggest is get your vehicle scanned that would be a good start if not try go according to the following below.

Check the obvious one first and see if the vehicle has oil?

Now the next thing would be is if the motor is running and sounds okay. If possible get the engine oil pressure tested its a fairly simple job you just remove the sensor at the back of the engine screw in a oil pressure tester and away you go. Now I dont have the exact figures but I know for sure the car has to be tested at 90 degress @ 2000 rpm. If a garage is going to do it for you and you are around to view it you will notice the oil pressure light will come on as the sensor only kicks in after 2000 rpm. Hence why the oil pressure needs to be tested at above 2000rpm. I dont have the information at the moment but I can post it here once I have it but dont hold me to this but I think its meant to be 38-42 psi @ 2000rpm @ 90 deg engine temp."again dont hold me to those figures"

The oil pressure sensors are prone to giving up and they would be your cheapest best at around £13 for the Audi part. This part will show up on the scan if it is the issue.

The next step would be when last was the car serviced and what oil is the vehicle running on and what oil filter?
Reason I ask this is because in my case the previous owner used a K and N oil filter and these are renowned to throw oil pressure warnings after 4000 miles of usage so a Audi oil filter is always suggested or to use a MANN filter as thats who makes the Audi oil filters anyway. So check that you oil filter has not collapsed or broken up.

If all of the above is clear then you start looking at more serious or labour intense things.

For example if you car is not serviced regularly and poor oil is used the oil pick ups are prone to getting blocked. This would involve removing the sump which is a pain in its own as you either have to drop your sub frame or undo your engine mounts and raise the engine as the sub frame is in the way of removing the sump once this is accomplished inspected the oil pick up tube and see if it is blocked if it is you either can clean it or you can check the part number on it as there is a Audi revised part for the pick ups.

If by some chance you are still in the clear after all the above then I am sad to tell you your oil pump is on its way out. And will be needing a oil pump.

If you are familiar with your engine etc generally you will hear a extra noise rather as well as usually tapping and ticking from the engine, this noise will be between the air box and turbo side of the engine. Sort of like a whirling noise it will be quite pronounced especially when cold.

Just out of interest what year is your vehicle.?

Hope this helps

as above 2 ways out

keep driving **** the lot up or just the sensor

turn it off dont restart get pick up checked and sensor

the BUL is in the dtm it wasnt only the 2.0fsit this affects its all the petrol lumps and dervs