Low oil pressure warning light and turbo failure

bennybrown

Reaction score
New to The forum and in need of some advice. Have Audi A6 2.0 TDI 138bhp touching 100k miles - Red low pressure oil warning light appeared and managed to pull over safely after about a mile (had 2 young children in back of car and needed to get of main road...!) - starting losing power and then clicking noise , brakes also went hard - ouch! Breakdown chap and local garage both agreed turbo damage and subsequent investigations proved this to be the case. Had new turbo fitted and LOW OIL PRESSURE light appeared when re-started engine. Turned off immediately! What would be the recommendation now? Car has cost me a fortune in past year as had re-con gearbox fitted 8 months ago. Would really appreciate some help if anyone has had experience of this in the past. Thanks.

Another member of the 77mm Club .

image-jpeg.78421

Engine code ?

Reactions: Misikee
As Gaz has mentioned, this will be a worn hex key shown in the image above. The way this engine works is there is a balancer shaft unit which is run by the engine, this then has a hex key (shown above) that connects to the oil pump.

The hex key is a bad fit and made out of soft material, and too short, so over time it wears and wears until it rounds off and cannot drive the oil pump. When this happens you lose all oil pressure.

First thing to go is the turbo as you have found out. If you got lucky you can fix the balance shaft module with a modified part, if you got unlucky the big end bearings and / or main bearings will be damaged and will need a crank regrind or new engine.

The only way to check is to remove the sump and pull the balance shaft unit, then remove the main bearing and big end caps nearest the gearbox to inspect the bearings, as these tend to fail first. If all is well, you can refit the bearing caps with new bolts and do the modification.

Being a BRE engine you will likely need Kit 9 from KMB Parts Direct at a cost of £215 + £125 deposit that is refunded when they receive your old one back. However ALWAYS double check by sending your reg & VIN to KMB to confirm before ordering.

Link to the modified part here.... http://www.kmbpartsdirect.co.uk/oil_pumps.html#kit9

KMB take old shafts and modify them with longer keyways which are hardened and welded in place, then supply a new longer (100mm) hex key which VW / Audi put in their new engines. This is also hardened.

Audi do not sell the shafts and only sell the full Balance Shaft Unit for £1200 + VAT, hence KMB do it on an exchange basis. They need your old one back so they can modify it and sell it on.

This is a big job, but there is lots of info in the B7 A4 section. If you are nearby I am happy to help out also.

Thanks Mario, that's one comprehensive reply & very much appreciated. Also grateful of your offer to help out. I'll speak with my mechanic (who is also a neighbour) & discuss this with him and fingers crossed we can resolve. Do you think I have a case to go to Audi with despite the age of the car (57 plate)? Seems that there is an issue with the oil pump going back then and I hear they have modified this part '3' times since then. Thanks again.

No chance , complete denial and lies this has only happened to a limited few.

Thanks Mario, that's one comprehensive reply & very much appreciated. Also grateful of your offer to help out. I'll speak with my mechanic (who is also a neighbour) & discuss this with him and fingers crossed we can resolve. Do you think I have a case to go to Audi with despite the age of the car (57 plate)? Seems that there is an issue with the oil pump going back then and I hear they have modified this part '3' times since then. Thanks again.

Again. As Gas has said, absolutely no chance Audi will do anything other than deny any known issues and offer to sell you a new module for £1200 + VAT.

Hmmmm.....thanks Gents, guessed as much - might be my last Audi!