Low oil level warning 2.0TDi

Iknownothing

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a 57 2.0 tdi 170 and get the low oil level intermittently but usually come on after a long drive of an hour or more. I could then park the car on the drive and the next morning with a cold engine, the warning will appear when I switch the ignition on and will remain on. If I don't start the car and check the level on the dip stick, it's bang on the max mark. Replace the dipstick and turn ignition on again, the warning has gone. It will probably remain normal until I drive for an hour or so again.

Anybody any idea what's going on?

Cheers

Pete

Oil level Sensor or sensor cable broke damaged f**ked.
I think that low oil is a red light and sensor issue is an orange one. Anyone?

Oil level Sensor or sensor cable broke damaged f**ked.
I think that low oil is a red light and sensor issue is an orange one. Anyone?

ok that's great.. Well not great but at least it's perhaps not a prelude to something serious. Unless you tell me to replace a sensor is a shed load of £££'s

Thanks for the reply!

Mines did the same. Orange light was the sensor. Replaced and fine since

I had the same car. Is it the orange/yellow oil warning light that is coming on? This is the low engine oil level warning and as the light is intermittent it may be a faulty sensor but I would get it quickly checked. There is also a red warning light which is the low engine oil pressure. If this comes on switch off the engine straight away and get it diagnosed. Whatever get it checked out.

Last edited:
I had the same car. Is it the orange/yellow oil warning light that is coming on? This is the low engine oil level warning and as the light is intermittent it may be a faulty sensor but I would get it quickly checked. There is also a red warning light which is the low engine oil pressure. If this comes on switch off the engine straight away and get it diagnosed. Whatever get it checked out.

Thanks for the replies, yes it's the amber caution regarding the oil level, no oil pressure lights. I'll get it checked out. Cheers

Mine was a break in the wire, worth a try metering the cable before you shell out for a new sensor.

Hi again.
The car was still under warranty with the dealer so I took it back to them last week to have the sensor replaced. I told them the symptoms described in post #1 when I left it for the week. Called them today and they said the oil was low and topped it up ***. Am I being a **** and not reading the oil level correctly? Or am I being fobbed off? I told them that all you have to do it lift the bonnet and re-seat the dip stick and the warning will disappear for about 90mins worth of constant driving.

Hi again.
The car was still under warranty with the dealer so I took it back to them last week to have the sensor replaced. I told them the symptoms described in post #1 when I left it for the week. Called them today and they said the oil was low and topped it up ***. Am I being a **** and not reading the oil level correctly? Or am I being fobbed off? I told them that all you have to do it lift the bonnet and re-seat the dip stick and the warning will disappear for about 90mins worth of constant driving.

Sounds like they are trying the easy route first. If the problem reappears then you know its not your ability to read a dipstick, and theirs for being a dipstick!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like they are trying the easy route first. If the problem reappears then you know its not your ability to read a dipstip, and theirs for being a dipstick!

My worry is that I left it with max oil and now they've topped it up. I can only assume one of us is misreading the stick. I assume the max level is the tiny max line inbetween the two bubbles on the stick, so I'm guessing they've filled it up to the top of the upper bulge? Which is correct?

If they have indeed over filled it, could that cause any problems?

Sorry for being a pleb.

My worry is that I left it with max oil and now they've topped it up. I can only assume one of us is misreading the stick. I assume the max level is the tiny max line inbetween the two bubbles on the stick, so I'm guessing they've filled it up to the top of the upper bulge? Which is correct?

If they have indeed over filled it, could that cause any problems?

Sorry for being a pleb.

Being slightly over the max mark will make no difference. Upto the bulge is where the max mark is and if the sensor is working correctly, error should appear when oil in below the min mark.

If they heavily over topped it, then you should notice heavy smoking out the back and a red oil pressure light.

Being slightly over the max mark will make no difference. Upto the bulge is where the max mark is and if the sensor is working correctly, error should appear when oil in below the min mark.

If they heavily over topped it, then you should notice heavy smoking out the back and a red oil pressure light.
Ok cheers for your help.