Low oil indicator not triggering

wuta3

Reaction score
Hi all,

I used to own a 2.0TFSI, and as a result am super paranoid about oil levels. I checked the oil level in my RS3 yesterday and found it just below min on the dipstick ... lucky!

Not too concerned about the oil burn rate, but the dashboard low oil warning hasn't triggered. I'd have assumed that if the sensor was faulty, this would throw a fault itself.

Any ideas?

Hi all,

I used to own a 2.0TFSI, and as a result am super paranoid about oil levels. I checked the oil level in my RS3 yesterday and found it just below min on the dipstick ... lucky!

Not too concerned about the oil burn rate, but the dashboard low oil warning hasn't triggered. I'd have assumed that if the sensor was faulty, this would throw a fault itself.

Any ideas?

You don’t check it regular then ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You don’t check it regular then ?

I don't - That's the point of the indicator :)
It's nice to have them nowadays as a convenience.

However, I'll be checking mine asap now! LOL! :)

Reactions: Akaash
Dont think there is a low oil level indicator, only low oil pressure, and you certainly don't want that coming on.

I turned ignition on mid oil change when the sump was empty to check and nothing came on.

I don't - That's the point of the indicator :)
It's nice to have them nowadays as a convenience.

However, I'll be checking mine asap now! LOL! :)

Really !! Wow. Good bye 2.5

The Audi dealer told me not to bother as it would be covered at servicing. It sounds like that is not correct. In fact, they told me that they don't want customers under the bonnet at all except for topping up washer fluid! That was Aberdeen Audi.

Thankfully, I do very few miles in it.

I'm glad you asked the question now @wuta3. I'll be checking it regularly :)

The Audi dealer told me not to bother as it would be covered at servicing. It sounds like that is not correct. In fact, they told me that they don't want customers under the bonnet at all except for topping up washer fluid! That was Aberdeen Audi.

You gotta be kidding right !??

With the appetite the Daza has for oil

You gotta be kidding right !??

With the appetite the Daza has for oil

No I'm really not kidding. That's what they told me. I did appreciate, at the time of modifying the car, that I might need to check it myself, but that hasn't happened because I've been working from home for a year (due to covid) so I've hardly used the car since the mods last July. I'd estimate 2000 miles since then. It was due (and had) a service too, so it had oil when that was done late last year. Gutted that I dont get to use it that much tbh.

WHAT?! the 2.5 doesn't have an on-dash low oil level warning?

My old 2.0T did and it was a lifesaver. It, without fail, warned me on the dash just above MIN. That thing DRANK oil (within the service book's range but REGULAR top ups were needed all the time).

@T-1000 - I do check it reguarly, clearly not reguarly enough. I used to check the 2.0T weekly. I best step up the frequency of my checks, though I did catch it just at min so my spider-sense clearly works.

That's mental. Check your oil. What **** advice?! And on a performance car too!

WHAT?! the 2.5 doesn't have an on-dash low oil level warning?

My old 2.0T did and it was a lifesaver. It, without fail, warned me on the dash just above MIN. That thing DRANK oil (within the service book's range but REGULAR top ups were needed all the time).

@T-1000 - I do check it reguarly, clearly not reguarly enough. I used to check the 2.0T weekly. I best step up the frequency of my checks, though I did catch it just at min so my spider-sense clearly works.

Check mine once a week.

For piece of mind

Check mine once a week.

For piece of mind

I'm just amazed they got rid of the digital oil level warning? Doesn't sound right to me, every Audi i've ever had warned me via the dashboard just above min.

Mine must be broken , had it 18 months and never had to top up the oil :tearsofjoy:

Check every 2 weeks . Car had oil change service in October and hasn't used a drop in roughly 2k miles

Mine must be broken , had it 18 months and never had to top up the oil :tearsofjoy:

Check every 2 weeks . Car had oil change service in October and hasn't used a drop in roughly 2k miles

Probably because I drive it like I stole it and drive it max for 20 mins a day ... BUT HARD
I do 12k miles a year, and i've only had to top it up with oil today since its last oil change in september. That seems a reasonable burn rate to me, i'm just shocked I got below min without a dash warning.

Guess i'm back to weekly oil checks like on my 8P

I'd suggest getting an aftermarket oil pressure gauge. The oil light on these cars turns on when damage is already most likely done.

Last time, dealer told me to keep driving it, WITH the light on.
fa536e7641799146b423749f29ab2d27.jpg

Last edited:
Just check the oil once a week or before every long journey. It takes maybe 1 min to do.

Reactions: 8YARWY
Just check the oil once a week or before every long journey. It takes maybe 1 min to do.

I'm not sure anyone is debating that checking your oil is a good idea (except Audi dealerships apparently).

The thread was initially about my thinking my dashboard warning / oil level sensor wasn't working. Then finding out there isn't one (even though every Audi i've owned from A2 upwards had one).

Yes, weekly oil checks. If oil pressure gets critical, it can be too late.

My first TTRS had done about 4k miles when I first checked the oil. Was very low. It does like a drink.

I remember a girl I used to work with a few years back who rang in to say her car had broken down...apparently the front wheels locking up and nearly catapulting her through the windscreen. It turned out that her engine had seized up, with no oil in it. I remember asking her when she last checked the oil or had the car serviced. The answer was never...in 5 years. She did a good 10k miles per year! How it lasted that long, I’ll never know.

My rs3 did warn me once with low oil level
pretty much between two service intervals

There is some sort of oil level measuring sensor because I remember in VCDS seeing an oil level measurement in MM.