Low fuel warning.

sgi

Reaction score
Hi
Is there a way of changing when the low fuel warning light comes on ? Maybe at Audi? Mine comes on at 45 miles which is about a weeks driving for me. I put in about £15 a week which means the light comes on almost straight away! Very annoying.
Cheers

Is there any reason why you only fill up £15 a week and not just fill it up once a month to the max?

Kind of an economy thing. Full tank, more mass, more energy required to move. Maybe it doesn't make much difference.

Quattro I'd love a bike again. Got rid of my gixxer years ago!

I wondered that. I never bother, but then I carry around two car seats now so quite a lot of extra weight.

I think the annoying yellow/orange fuel warning would annoy me more than I'd care about the extra fuel economy :) I hate it when I start my car and I get the beeps. Ha

True, fuel saving is probably negligible. I'll try filling monthly, and close my eyes when I pay!

not that i can be a***d to go to the garage that often so just fill up each time I'm coming out from shopping. but its an interesting thought, I wonder how much a tank of fuel weighs and if it affect mpg significantly?? Certainly does on the F1 boys..

True, fuel saving is probably negligible. I'll try filling monthly, and close my eyes when I pay!

haha thats like me, the guy at the garage must hate me, every time I pay I comment on how Iused to be able to fill up my cortina for less than £20.....

Assuming one litre of unleaded weighs one kg, then a tank of fuel of about 60kg, or a small adult. I expect it costs you more in fuel to divert to a filling station more frequently!

You know what ? I'm gonna conduct an experiment from January. Hypothesis : It is significantly more cost effective to obtain petrol 4/5 times PCM than once PCM.

I'm intrigued to know also! As James said, for me it's a pain to go fill up. There's only one station close by that is really expensive. The closest one I'd consider is probably 3 miles away, and rarely go there. It's far easier for me to fill up to the brim whenever it gets close to empty (every 5 weeks ish). I'm also not a fan of letting them get too close to empty, you never know when you'll need the fuel and I remember reading once that getting right down to the dregs of the tank isn't a good idea. Although that may be just an old wives tale?! :)

put 20 in this week and then 15 every week on and youll have 5 quid extra so the light shouldnt come on lol

Why, because it was started by someone wanting to alter their car so the fuel light comes on later instead of just putting £5 more fuel in the car!

But you could argue that he doesn't need the fuel warning light. He possibly does the same distance every week and has never run out of fuel so why does he need it? Also, the fuel warning light is fairly intrusive on the car as it removes DIS functionality, which is annoying. For me, the fuel light annoys me. I drive the car very little, and the fuel light can be on for a full week if I am only doing short journeys. It'd be nice if it was just a little yellow light near the fuel gauge instead of the whole top third of the DIS.

And, he only asked a question...

Thanks Crazy and all for the food for thought. Now what shall I do with that spare fiver.........

Haha thats the simple fix, what a stupid thread.

it seems some people cant take a joke !!!.........quite logical really if its doing your head in that much having annoying ping and amber warning lights then its simple to keep it above the desired level so i put my simple thoughts forward.....

Just up it to £20 a week and soon you'll come to put your fuel in and realise you have a full tank! Happy day's and no fuel light/beeps.

it seems some people cant take a joke !!!.........quite logical really if its doing your head in that much having annoying ping and amber warning lights then its simple to keep it above the desired level so i put my simple thoughts forward.....
I agree with you, hes problem is solved by putting a little more fuel in his car! Surely carrying a few extra litres of fuel wont drop his mpg by any amount worth mentioning.