Loud screeching noise!

Richard Appleyard

Reaction score
Hi all I’m in need of some help!

Last weekend I went out in the car and was driving it on the motorway for approximately 1 hour. About 45 minutes into the drive a loud screeching noise developed from what sound around the front of the car. I put it into neutral whilst moving and it was still there, I Turned of the a/c and it was still there and I also touched the breaks and it was still there.

It’s confusing me as it did it on the back last week and again it was only at around 45 mind of driving.

Any ideas anyone

Thanks.

Bored child in the car?

Without a recording it would be hard to pinpoint, does the pitch change with road speed or engine speed etc etc

Turning off the a/c may not make any difference as these pumps turn regardless, could be the a/c clutch side of things though.

If it was only as simple as a screaming kid!

It’s rotation linked. Doing 70mph on motor way I can hear it, put the car in neutral and it’s still there.

I’ve had a/c on and off to see if it makes any difference but it doesn’t. It’s doing my head in!

The usual culprits are-
Slipping aux belt
Stone stuck in brake calliper
Wheel bearing
Turbo bearing.
Bearing on alternator, water pump or a/c compressor.
Debris wrapped around a driveshaft.
Wheelarch liner dropped and touching a tyre.
You'll have to go round and check all these one by one.

Not sure if you have Quattro or not, but if you do then have you had Haldex changed recently? If not then consider it if none of the above list is the obvious cause.

Wheel bearing was my first thought, but if it was bad enough to be making that noise then it would probably be noticeable when cornering more than when driving straight.

Reactions: Richard Appleyard
The usual culprits are-
Slipping aux belt
Stone stuck in brake calliper
Wheel bearing
Turbo bearing.
Bearing on alternator, water pump or a/c compressor.
Debris wrapped around a driveshaft.
Wheelarch liner dropped and touching a tyre.
You'll have to go round and check all these one by one.

I’ve checked all of these and thanks for trying and suggesting. It will only come on after 40 mins of driving. Upto that it will be perfect. Making me think bearing of some sort. As if it’s gettibg warm after a decent drive then it expands onto something. I could be wrong though.

Gonna be a tricky one, I would change engine oil first and see if the noise goes, then move on to the gearbox oil and so on.

Other silly idea is could it be the wind reacting with the wiper blades or the engine bay undertray, this type of noise has been reported before by forum members.

I've seen on the Focus ST forums about warped Eagle F1 tyres causing strange noises, so check your tyres over for any visual anomalies.

Don't wish to alarm you but a common problem with Audi's is a blocked oil pick up pipe. Even if its not a problem now its always worth checking because it will be death to your engine if its running dry on the motorway.