Loud humming noise when hot

Csa7

Reaction score
Hello!
I'm new to the forum and was hoping some Audi wizards could help!
I get a loud humming noise after driving for an extended period of time (Usually around an hour) it sounds like its coming from quite close to me in the engine bay. If I brake the noise goes but comes back immediately after I lift my foot, the same happens if I turn the steering wheel left or right.

Changing gear makes no difference neither does accelerating.

I think if I hit an uneven part of the road it stops for a millisecond.

If you need any more info to help me please let me know!

Thanks in advance

Chris

Wheel bearing, bush, tie rod, wheel imbalanced, variety of things could be, need to lift & turn wheels to listen for anything.

I'll jack it up and have a shake around and see if I notice anything. Is it likely they will be problematic but only after a long period of time? I thought they would show signs even cold?

Things expand, contract so who knows what's going on, need to maybe check when cold, if nothing noticeable, get it up to heat so it happens then lift & check manually.

I've had a sticky calliper cause this. Not sticking enough to make the rotor noticeably hotter, but enough to cause a groaning noise at times. It wasn't strictly related to road speed but was influenced massively by even the slightest brake pedal pressure. A quick strip of the carrier and cleaning up and regreasing the sliding pins was enough to resolve it.

I'll definitely be taking a look, I've ordered some wheel bearing kits anyway so will check the calipers while I'm there. Thanks for the input!